Powered by Blogger.

wrapping up and reaching out

Monday, October 6, 2008

We're finally moved.
Even though we haven't lived there since the end of August, we didn't feel like we could really put the Kansas house on the market until it was cleared out. (I guess we could have, but the people at HGTV definitely would have disapproved! :)
So Shad and Alek made a rush trip to Kansas this last weekend to finish packing the odds and ends.
The guys left on Friday and came home last night with a mini-trailer and pickup truck full of stuff. Now that stuff is sitting in various spots all over the house...just waiting for me to put it all away.
A lot of driving for less than a day's work, but now it's done. Honestly, it makes me a little sad. I still miss Kansas and our life there.
But...its time to move on.
And just to prove I am trying to find a new life for myself, here's some news...
I think I may have made a new friend. (That sounds so second grade, doesn't it?!)
There's a woman I keep meeting around town. Just about everywhere I go, she's there. I first met her last week at AWANA's, then I saw her again at church yesterday, and finally, she waved at me as she was dropping her kids off at my kids' school this morning.
The third time's the charm.
I guess I'm supposed to really get to know her. So I'm going to make an effort.
I have to tell you...I'm nervous. But it's time for me to step out and make new connections here in Wyoming.
Of course I can't remember her name, but I promise to find out tomorrow at AWANA.
In the meantime, I'm also waiting a call from another 'new friend'.
Our new church has a fellowship program that matches women up with other ladies. I filled out my questionnaire last week and put it in the box yesterday. I can't wait to see who they match me up with. It should be interesting.
So there you are...after living here six weeks, I'm finally starting to reach out. Taking the first tentative steps toward a new life.
Wish me luck.

sage brush diaries - wrapping up and reaching out

8 salty messages:

The Pabsts October 6, 2008 at 12:21 PM  

Tami,

I know just how you feel trying to make new connections. We've been married 8 1/2 years, and the 3 1/2 years we've been in our current place trumps all the others by at least 2 years. Good luck finding a good friend to lean on when you need her.

Bethany

p.s. Love the new sage brush diaries!

Tina in CT October 6, 2008 at 5:28 PM  

Volunteer at the school, join the PTO, talk to other parents at football practice, join a women's newcomer club, etc. Good way to meet people.

Yeah, you have a new friend. Ask her over for a cup of tea or to go to the park with Maddie.

Tina in CT October 6, 2008 at 5:28 PM  

P.S. Can you tell that I am very extroverted?

Troy and Rachel October 7, 2008 at 11:17 AM  

I think it's hard to make connections because life is so busy with children. I hope you do meet some great people - they are out there!

Mike & Tara October 8, 2008 at 1:25 PM  

It is so hard making new friends - and I totally understand feeling like you're back in grade school (I'm the biggest introvert you'll ever met)! We went thru the same things 6 years ago when we moved west. It took a lot of courage but the reward of friends is so worth it!! Good luck!!

Christina October 8, 2008 at 1:38 PM  

Oh we are living such parallel lives! I'm in that 'reaching out' phase too... joined the womens Bible study, hosting a small group... I've met lots of people and they all seem nice, but haven't cross into "friend" territory just yet. It does feel very 2nd grade. And makes me all the more thankful for the friends I've made online who made the move with me. :-)

melissa E. October 8, 2008 at 7:34 PM  

So, who'd you end up with?!!

regarding your comment at our site:

I'm afraid my borscht recipe won't do you much good. I just got online and compared a bunch of recipes and picked one with good reviews. Then I threw in some leftover potroast and wished I had put in more potatoes and more beef broth. (when I reheated it, I added a few more cups of broth and liked it better) Anyway, I tossed the recipe planning to try a new one next time.

I think we'll keep Ukrainian night a random surprise around here. It works well that way for me. I like surprises--and the option of backing out at the last minute without disappointing anybody!

Old DAN AND Little ANN October 10, 2008 at 11:13 AM  

That would be tough. I think it still feels like second grade when we are put in those positions. Imagine how much personal growth you will experience from being pushed outside your comfort zone so much though?! (Trying to put a positive spin on it for ya.)

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP