Powered by Blogger.

cooling down

Monday, November 10, 2008

I'm much better this morning. Its amazing what 24 hours can do, isn't it?

We've talked with Anya and she says she wants to share her story with her classmates.
I'm not completely sure she understands the implications, but I'm going to take her word for it.
And pray.
I had a quick chat with the teacher this morning. While she was excited about Anya sharing her story, she agreed to keep an eye on her and follow her lead. If, at any point, Anya starts to get squeamish or shuts down, we will pull back and re-evaluate.
Parts of the project require peer evaluation and Q&A. If Anya isn't comfortable sharing the story with her classmates, she will be able to do the evaluation and Q&A with the teacher.
She can also opt out of the presentation in front of parents at a Tea in the spring.
The teacher also showed me the books she will be reading to the kids in the upcoming weeks. The books look pretty good. I'm not uncomfortable with anything as it relates to adoption. There are some books on social issues I'm concerned with, but we'll make sure to talk about all of the books with her. Thankfully, there are no plans to do anything about same-sex parents this year...but its not out of the realm of possibility in the future. (Note to self - keep an eye on it, and start looking seriously at other education possibilities.)
There is one book that talks about an internationally adopted child's three names. The one she was born with, the one the orphanage gave her and the one the parents gave her. It will require a conversation, but I don't think it will be a bad one.
Besides...we can't protect her forever, can we? We can't shelter her from all this stuff. If we did, we wouldn't be doing her any favors.
These are conversations we are going to have to have. I just wish we would have had more warning so we could have had a plan. I still feel this is a huge can of worms just waiting to split wide open, but with the teachers' help we should be able to keep the lid on.
I hope.

4 salty messages:

Elaine November 10, 2008 at 1:11 PM  

Ah, yes. This is part of why I hate these types of curriculum. They are just easing into the same-sex marriage thing. Grrr . . . Again, that is for parents to talk to their kids about, not the schools. They are trying to indoctrinate children and it makes my blood boil.

Kathy and Matt November 10, 2008 at 2:05 PM  

Thanks for the posts. It's good for all of us adoptive parents to think about how we want these stories handled for our children. I will be more proactive about this going forward.

Good luck with it all!

Tina in CT November 10, 2008 at 5:01 PM  

These subjects are for parents to discuss with children. Things like this were not part of my school curriculum and not my daughter's as a youngster.

Dr. Ruth did speak to her high school and she was home with the flu so I went to take her seat. Wow! She put it right out there but I was all for it. These girls needed to enter the real world of college as they graduated and not have blinders on.

I am not one for "sheltering" but nor am I one for throwing things in the faces of kids that are little. There is a time for everything. Let's face it, little kids in elementary school don't need to be exposed to the "world".

Glad to hear that the project so far seems to be OK with Anya and that her teacher is sensitive.

Katya did a project about her family last year. Check back in Tamara's blog about it. I love the way it was done. It was about your history and since Katya was the only non-Russian, I bet hers had the most diversity and interest from a distant relationship to FDR to her father's ancestors travelling by wagon to CO. Email my daughter about it.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP