Powered by Blogger.

i'm thankful for...

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

In the spirit of this American holiday I wanted to share something I was supposed to be doing over on Sage Brush Diaries. I took up the challenge this month of sharing five things every day I am thankful for.
Unfortunately, I'm a slacker.
I only got three days worth done.
In my defense...with the challenge of NaBloPoMo, its been all I can do to find something to put on here everyday, let alone add five 'thankful fors' over on Sage Brush.
So...
Here's my abbreviated turkey day version of some things I am thankful for...

1. For Blogger's new 'schedule post' option. Without it I would have had to rush home this afternoon to post something so I wouldn't miss a day in my 'NaBloPoMo' challenge. I'm 27 for 27...only three more to go! :)
2. I'm technically a SAHM. Yea. It may not be forever...but I'll take it for as long as I can. Maddie has made HUGE bonding strides in the last three months. And I wouldn't trade this extra time with the kids for anything.
3. We live closer to my family. A few weeks ago we watched my nephew play in the state football semi-final game. They lost...but it was great to watch him play. It was a first. I can't wait to experience all of the other firsts in the coming year.
4. High-speed internet. What did we do in the days before we had high-speed? I never would have been able to keep up with everyone's blogs with dial-up.
5. I don't have to cook Thanksgiving dinner! For the first time in several years we will be eating with family for Thanksgiving. AND I DON'T HAVE TO COOK!
6. Chocolate Chip Cookies. Enough said.
7. Hair dye. I have resigned myself to the fact that I have to color...I just wish I could have someone do it for me. I used a new brand this month and Shad says I look like one of those Russian/Ukranian babushkas who dye their hair purple!
8. My dishwasher. Shad and I have been married almost 20 years and this is the first time I have had a dishwasher. Can I just say...I. LOVE. IT! ;>)
9. A husband who is a great father. Shad is an incredible Dad...I couldn't ask for better.
10. A free oil change. I got a great coupon in the mail today for a free oil change...the same day the oil change light came on in the Mom-mobile. How awesome is that?!
11. Sleep....glorious sleep. Isn't it a marvelous thing? Why in the world do we try to fight it as kids? What I wouldn't give to be able to take a nap while Maddie is taking a nap.
12. Family - My parents, brothers and inlaws are the best. Can I just tell you that? They love us and support us no matter what. I only hope Shad and I can raise our kids to be as wonderful as they are. (Boy! I'm getting sappy here, aren't I?)
13. Just to lighten it up - I'm glad the election is over...no matter what the results. Well, okay that last part isn't true, but it sounds all kum-by-ya, doesn't it?
14. My health. I'm pushing 40...FAST, but so far there's no sign of high blood pressure, heart disease or diabetes which runs so rampantly through my family. I'm secretly hoping I take after my mother with my health - she's middle 60s and doesn't take so much as a daily multi-vitamin. Those would be some awesome genes to inherit, wouldn't they?
15. Our former church family. I keep saying I'm going to introduce you to these people and so far I haven't delivered. Sorry about that. Let's just say this small church is an example of a Biblical church family. They were so welcoming to us when we moved to Kansas and were so supportive when we decided to move away. In between they were SO good to us while we were trying to Find Maddie. My one and only regret in leaving Kansas was leaving this wonderful church family behind.
16. New Friends - I have met some wonderful people here in Wyoming. I am so glad God put them where I could find them. One in particular, Heather, has taken me under her wing. She's invited us to go swimming with them, had us over for play time and was the first to invite me to a jewelry party. She's awesome.
17. Chocolate - What can I say? I am so glad God made cocoa-beans and let the Aztecs figure out how to make it into something so incredibly sinful!
18. I've managed to not gain any weight in the last year. I don't know how I did it, because I certainly didn't watch what I ate...but I haven't gained any weight. I haven't lost any either, but let's not dwell on the negative shall we? This is supposed to be a positive post.
19. Digital Cameras - Its so nice to not have to worry about making sure a picture is 'just right' before snapping the shot. And I can't remember the last time I even thought about how many pictures I took. What did we do before the advent of digital technology?!
20. My washer and dryer - After spending six weeks in Ukraine, I will never again take my washer and especially my dryer for granted. I love them. Love them, I tell you.
21. My mom-mobile - While we're at it, I might as well sing the praises of my mini-van. Yea. I know...but again, after six weeks of riding the bus, subway or with the crazy Ukranian taxi driver...it felt awfully good to come home and drive myself around again. Really good.
22. Unlimited long-distance. Its wonderful being able to call our friends in faraway places and not having to worry about how long I talk. I can be as long-winded as I want and Shad can't complain a bit.
23. My kids. Where would I be without my kids. I love them with everything I am. Life would be so dull without them. I would go to Russia and back a lifetime of times just to have them in my life. Anyone want to support us in going back and getting a number five?! ;>)
24. Maddie is home. Last year at this time we were getting ready to go find her. Now, a year later, its so nice to have her home and enjoying so many firsts. First Halloween. First Thanksgiving...and first Christmas - at least with us. How fun! :)
25. For bone conduction hearing aides. God bless the person who invented this little miracle device. Without it Maddie's world would be so much smaller. For a refresher course, check out this video of the first time she had the hearing aid on. It opened up her world...and ours.

5 salty messages:

Tina in CT November 27, 2008 at 9:56 AM  

Happy Turkey Day to you and your wonderful family!

Kathy and Matt November 27, 2008 at 12:20 PM  

Your list is a good one.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Christine November 27, 2008 at 11:13 PM  

Great list! Happy thanksgiving!

Anonymous,  November 29, 2008 at 6:19 PM  

just a quick question,are you serious about wanting to adopt another one? what a handful that would be! just asking because you mentioned it.

Tami November 29, 2008 at 11:22 PM  

Oh, I would love to bring another child into our family, but Shad says he is done (mostly due to financial reasons), and I have to respect that. But it doesn't make the desire go away. These children are a true blessing and while having four kids is a handful, its a blessed handful.
The children we have left behind will always haunt me...the best we can do now is to try to support other PAPs in their quest to bring their children home and support the little ones who won't be finding families as best we can.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP