Powered by Blogger.

tag, you're it

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Jessy, over at Eight Hearts, tagged me for the seven random things meme. Its been awhile since I've done one of these - let see if I remember how.

1. I LOVE milk! Not just a little. A LOT! In fact, I don't drink much else. I'll drink water and orange juice, but milk is my favorite. I don't drink soda, coffee or tea at all. I can't stand the stuff. And I don't want anything else in my milk. Just plain old skim milk. Mmmmm.
2. Summer is wasted on me. Not because I don't like the heat, but because I can't stand WASPS! For some reason that I'm not able to define, I am terrified of them...and it ruins summer for me. I don't like being outside when I know they're around. I go out early in the morning and in the evening after it's cooled off. But in between I stay inside. (Don't worry I go to ball games and stuff, but I'm always on alert and a nervous wreck (inside) if ones comes around.) I'm trying to get better about it and in the last couple of years I have improved. I just make sure when I see a wasp, I get my tail back inside.
3. I miss working as a photojournalist in T.V. news. I know, I know, all journalists are all evil...but I loved it! I liked knowing some of the things I covered actually mattered. I took pride in the fact that the reporters I worked with had a conscious and integrity and refused to cover anything in an unprofessional manner. I liked it that when the big stories broke I got to be a witness to history (I covered the Oklahoma City Bombing, Bob Dole's run for the presidency). And there is nothing like the thrill of chasing storms - you can't do that in a mini-van with three kids! Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't change my life now for anything. But there are days (especially when big news stories break) that I dream of being back in the newsroom, running like a crazy woman, trying to get the news on the air. Aaaah...the adrenaline rush!
4. I played on a high school BOYS baseball team as a freshman and sophomore. Shad and I went to a small high school in rural Colorado. It was so small anyone could try out for any sport. I played volleyball (All-State my senior year), girls basketball (I stunk), track and baseball. I was also a cheerleader and one year I was on a drill team. I don't think the boys liked having me as a teammate on the baseball team and Shad took a lot of ribbing. I started second base and outfield (a couple of guys sat on the bench - hee-hee!) and I had a better batting average than some of the guys. Shad played first and I played second. Romantic, huh?!
5. While we're on the subject of high school, I was the salutatorian of my senior class. There were only three kids in the class. ;) In my defense I did have a decent GPA...a 3.7.
6. My kids are better eaters than I am. I'm really picky...way too picky for my own good. Thankfully my two oldest kids came wired with pretty good eating habits. Nick and Maddie...well, they're learning the hard way I'm not going to let them learn to be picky. I don't want them to go through what I've endured. I realize my eating habits are my own fault, but it's not easy being finicky. So far it's working. All of the kids are such good eaters that they'll go for their vegetables first and leave their meat for last. They also ask for fruit, yogurt or applesauce for dessert. Cool, huh? Alek has actually turned down a chocolate chip cookie for grapes and yogurt before...of course he was really young then and didn't know any better! ;) I don't think that would happen today. I'm working on my pickiness...I'll actually eat some bits of tomato now and then and can handle broccoli and cauliflower with cheese...but you'll have to pay me quite a bit to take a bite of lettuce. And you can forget about anything fishy.
7. My two brothers and I have unknowingly fulfilled our father's dream. We have all adopted at least one of our children. Of course, all four of ours are adopted. My brother, Len adopted his older two, brought one daughter home from China and is getting ready to head back to bring home a special needs boy; and my youngest brother Scott is in the process of adopting his oldest daughter. A few months ago my parents and I were talking and they told me years ago, after Scott was born, they thought about adopting...but my mom didn't think she could handle another child at the time. (I blame my brothers for that! :) They never got back around to considering adoption. Now, 25+ years later more than half of their grandchildren are adopted (eight out of 13; soon to be nine out of 14!). Cool, huh?!

Now I get to tag seven random people. Hmmm...
Let's try
Melissa, Nataliya (since she hasn't posted anything in MONTHS! :), MoscowMom, Ceeseelee (my blogging cousin), Valerie (my sister-in-law who is supposed to be reading my blog), Christina and Elaine.

And YOU!

5 salty messages:

Tina in CT November 9, 2008 at 10:22 AM  

Don't understand your comment that soon to be four of yours are adopted. Is this an old post?

Tami November 9, 2008 at 1:36 PM  

You caught me. I copied and pasted this post from one I did on Finding Maddie. Color me sheepish! ;) I haven't had time to take a good look at myself in awhile to come up with anything new.

Elaine November 9, 2008 at 2:12 PM  

I miss the storm chasing and breaking news, too. Hmm . . . now I must thonk of my seven things.

Tina in CT November 9, 2008 at 2:40 PM  

Thanks for the clarification as I was wondering.

Just got back from a long walk along the river with my girlfriend and my dachshund. Gorgeous NE day.

The Kaysers November 14, 2008 at 2:44 PM  

Where in CO did you go to high school. Me and my husband, Shad, both grew up in CO and I went to a very small school in Rural SW Colo. What a small world!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP