Powered by Blogger.

too sick or not too sick...

Monday, November 17, 2008

That was the question this morning.

Was Alek too sick to go to school...or not too sick.
I decided to err on the side of caution and keep him home. After all, his temp was a whopping 99.5. ;>) ...and after two days of laying (lying? - which is it by the way?!) around doing nothing, I thought he could use an extra day to recover. Besides, when he does get sick it usually gets a little worse later in the morning. I wouldn't want him to get to school only to take a turn for the worse.
I was bamboozled.
Yea...the boy had a minor temp. But he wasn't sick! He was fine. I should have just pumped him full of ibuprofen and sent him on his way.
Instead I had pity on him.
I think I'm getting soft.
The thing is, he was TECHNICALLY sick. But if you could have been here, you would have had a hard time seeing it.
My rule is, if you're home, you're in bed.
Sorry...
No TV.
No Playstation.
No movies.
You lay on your bed where sick people are supposed to be. You can read. You can sleep. You can play quiet toys and you can eat and drink.
But this is NOT a vacation.
Yea. I'm a meanie.
Or at least the boy thinks I am. He spent the ENTIRE day complaining about having to spend the day on his bed. He snuck out of his room at least five times in search of something to do. (As if I couldn't hear him).
He went through seven glasses of juice and water this morning...which of course led to extended bathroom breaks.
He had Maddie bring him toys... she chose babies, necklaces and fingernail polish. ;>)
And you should have heard the wail when I told him he had to take a nap! :)
Finally his bedroom exile ended around three when Nick and Anya got home from school. You would have thought he was getting let out of prison. He ran around with his brother playing indoor football, building forts and tormenting his sisters.
No complaints at all.
Just after supper the metamorphasis began. He started complaining of a sore throat, tracked down the thermometer to take his temp and coughed anytime you looked at him.
Ummm....yea Alek. Not happening.
I'm soft, but not that soft.

10 salty messages:

Old DAN AND Little ANN November 18, 2008 at 11:09 AM  

Better to err on the side of caution, right?

AdoptaMama November 18, 2008 at 12:07 PM  

It's a tough call as to know when to send them back. I usually do if the fever's gone and luckily it's been the right decision, but still it's hard to know. Making him stay in bed is the best thing. Maybe next time he'll beg to go back to school. ;) Right!

Courtney November 18, 2008 at 12:29 PM  

Hilarious! Neither of our boys have had a sick day yet, so they haven't figured out how that works. I know I'm in trouble when they do!!

pearly1979 November 18, 2008 at 1:13 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debbie November 18, 2008 at 1:15 PM  

Aw, it is so hard to know whether they're sick or SICK. I don't run fevers (I have chronic low temps), so if I ever do, I know I'm down for the count. (And it's "lying around." I know--lie and lay and their shades of meaning are tough to master! I have my handy dictionary right here at all times...required reading for this proofreader. :-))

Tina in CT November 18, 2008 at 1:51 PM  

Wow, you're tough. Growing up I remember watching Sonja Henie movies if I was home sick. Does that date me?

Whenever my daughter was home sick, she was sick. I'd let her stay on the den couch with the TV on or reading and she'd doze on and off.

If I'm home really, really sick, I am in bed sleeping. If I am feeling lousy but not near death, I like to be on the den couch watching TV, reading and napping with my dachshund.

jessy November 18, 2008 at 2:19 PM  

Ahh, the mysterious recurring illness. I used to have that all the time.

Svetlana November 18, 2008 at 6:13 PM  

My oldest son used to like to play bein sick if something going on at shcool. I worked for him once, then we figure it out what was problem. Now he knows he can tell me that he is sick, but likes to be at school better :-)

Ceeseelee November 20, 2008 at 5:10 AM  

I have to admit you are a bigger meanie than I am. I was pretty easy on my kids when they wanted to stay home from school sick. I figured it was a great opportunity to spend the day with them. Perfect attendance is WAY overrated, sometimes they just need a mental health day and a little time with mom. I also let them lie on the sofa and watch television to their heart's content.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP