Powered by Blogger.

another progress report

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What Maddie's been up to lately...


- Her language is exploding again.
It seems every time I start to think she's getting stuck in a rut, she takes off at breakneck speed.
She's added all kinds of phrases to her repertoire (and she IS using phrases)...
'I no want to...'
'What you doing?'
'You so silly.'
And my favorite...
"Whyyyyyy?"
Yep. We're hitting some developmental milestones...ones I believe she missed in the orphanage.
EVERYTHING is why. Its driving me nuts, but I'm trying to use it as a teaching opportunity. A way to get more language into her pretty little head.
And I think its starting to work.
She's picking up new words almost every day.
And not only is she saying more words...her pronunciation is getting much more clear.
Can I just say, I LOVE her speech teacher. Love her!
The woman has worked more magic with my little girl in three months than I was able to do in six. I know, I know...that's what she's trained to do. But it makes me just wish we had gotten her in there sooner!


- I fell down the other day. Now, normally I wouldn't admit to being so clumsy... especially since it was down the stairs...one step at a time...on my derriere.
Quite embarrassing, let me tell you.
BUT...
There is good news.
A) No one saw me except for Maddie.
And B) Maddie was concerned. Very concerned.
She ran up to me after I had completed my graceful trip down the steps and immediately started asking me...
'Okay, Mama. You okay?' 'You okay, Mama. You okay.'
And the first thing she told Shad when he came home about an hour later was, 'Mama fell. Owie. She okay.'
HUGE! Absolutely huge!
I couldn't be more thrilled with how much empathy she showed me that day. I have always known she was sympathetic to the kids. She brings them things when they're sick and loves to 'help' me take care of them.
But I had never seen her show any sort of concern for Shad or my welfare until I tumbled down the steps on my rear. (Great mental picture, I know. Don't worry I'm just a little stiff...I'll be fine, although it makes me feel like I'm in my 90s.)

- She's driving Nick nuts.
Those two fight like cats and dogs. I'm glad they're comfortable enough with each other to treat each other like true brother and sister...but ENOUGH ALREADY!
The thing is, she's starting to push Shad and I a bit too. Nothing terrible...nothing we can't handle, but its interesting that its taken this long to develop.
I had been waiting since we brought her home for the other shoe to drop. I thought her laid-back approach to life was a ruse. Something that would disappear once she was more comfortable with us.
But I think I was wrong. While she is starting to push our buttons, there is no hard-core defiance. No melt-downs (thank goodness)...no rages.
She's just trying to figure out what she can get away with...which isn't much.
So I'll take this little bit of boundary searching.

- She's learned to spell her name.
And she can sign it too.
It's so cute.
I'd share it with you on video...but its her real name.
Sorry.
Speaking of signing. My sister-in-law, who is much more versed in all of this hearing-impaired stuff, told me she doesn't think Maddie NEEDS to sign. Yes, its good to teach it to her, but she says Maddie is so verbal...she uses her words well enough and is starting to become understandable enough, that she doesn't think Maddie NEEDS it.
That's awesome! Because while we've been teaching her some things...and its nice to use it to help clarify some miscommunications, we're not great at it.
Its nice to know someone else is noticing how far Maddie is coming along.

- Maddie has become a bit of a tomboy. She's found a baseball hat that she LOVES to wear EVERYWHERE...and she LOVES to watch football.
My kind of gal.
Shad said today that she reminds him a lot of me.
That's it. We're in trouble! :)

11 salty messages:

Bethany December 30, 2008 at 10:49 PM  

what remarkable improvement! She sounds like a very fun, sweet little girl. she might even give Levi a run for his money!

speech therapy is awesome, yeah? we did it with our older one when he was 2 1/2...i couldn't understand 25% of what he said, but made huge strides in just a few months

hope your bum feels better soon. Wii boxing and tennis is about to make my arms fall off. i'm so out of shape. sigh.

Jill December 30, 2008 at 10:49 PM  

Wonderful progress!!! :o) Hooray for Maddie!

MamaPoRuski December 30, 2008 at 11:08 PM  

Was teary at the empathy post. I was relieved when Z stopped laughing when people got hurt! Now he only finds violent cartoons funny, like Popeye...

Rachael December 30, 2008 at 11:29 PM  

Poor Mama. Hope your owies aren't too bad. That's sweet that she was so worried about you, and not just immediately, but later, to tell Shad.

Tina in CT December 31, 2008 at 12:11 PM  

Such wonderful progress. Probably the best is her concern over her mom's falling on the stairs. She's made such progress in the year that she's been part of the family.

Happy New Year!

Kathy and Matt January 1, 2009 at 11:09 AM  

Great to hear how wonderfully she's progressing!

We can definitely relate to the button pushing and testing boundaries.

Hope you're ok after the fall.

Happy 2009!

Old DAN AND Little ANN January 1, 2009 at 11:00 PM  

It's like you can get an even deeper insight into who this little person who is your daughter is now. What a neat gift! I'm glad you are OK. That sounds so like something I would do. ;)

Elaine January 2, 2009 at 7:28 PM  

Yay for Maddie! Glad to hear you weren't horribly hurt from your little trip down the stairs.

PIPO January 4, 2009 at 8:28 PM  

Wonderful news!

Happy New Year to you and yours.

MoscowMom January 4, 2009 at 9:17 PM  

Hi, there! Great to read about Maddie's progress!!

The time in CO was way too short... I'm sorry it didn't work out to get together. We'll be there for longer when we go this summer; I'd love to get together then if it works for you... I'll let you know well in advance when we'll be there.

:-)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Leslie January 5, 2009 at 3:23 PM  

Ugh! Doesn't that kill you when the dh tells you she's just like you?? Robert says the same thing to me about Kristina, but its usually when she's being difficult. Love the image of her comforting you after the fall!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP