Powered by Blogger.

the great Kiev summit

Thursday, December 4, 2008

One year ago...
We had soooooo much fun!

It was a blast to finally meet the people we had only known in bloggy world!
Mark and Courtney and Sue and her husband, Chris, joined us for dinner at O'Panas in downtown Kiev.
If any future PAPs are looking for a good restaurant with authentic Ukrainian food and decent prices, you should give this a try.
The atmosphere was great. It was set in a little hut-like thing in the middle of a park across from Kiev University.
The menus were in Ukranian and English with pictures to boot. How easy is that?
Point and order.
Shad ordered deruny and borsch.
I had a steak with a yummy sauce.
One word…Delicious.
Okay, maybe two.
And I’m not usually the adventurous type.
I even tried Shad’s food. And I have to say the borsch was good.
Yea...surprised me too.
We had a great time.
Half the fun was getting there.
Since we are complete novices at the Ukrainian bussing system, Bogdan offered to find someone to take us to the restaurant. Natasha and her boyfriend, Maxim, graduates of the orphanage system, did a great job of helping us navigate the bus and subway system to downtown Kiev.
Natasha helped us pay the one Hryvnia to ride the bus each way…led us through the city streets to the subway entrance, down the stairs and into the tunnels leading to the platform.
Maxim kept track of us.
A tough job I might add.
Do you know how hard it is to keep up with two Russian teens, who are in a hurry and are wearing black in a sea of other people wearing black?
Anyway...on the way, we walked past street vendors selling everything from liquor to housewares, CDs to hairbands.
We literally walked by a fish for sale, resting on a cardboard box.
After an hour, we finally made it...a half an hour late.
Thankfully, Mark, Courtney, Sue and Chris are patient people.
We had a great time, but a couple of hours later it was time to head home.
We had to get Natasha back to the graduate house before 10 p.m.
But there was a little problem getting home.
The plan was to leave just a little before 9 to give us plenty of time to get her home. We were finished with dinner and were sitting and chatting while we waited for the waitress to show up with the bill.
She never showed.
We waited and waited…Finally, Meshack went back downstairs to see if he could get a menu to figure out how much we owed. Mark and Courtney offered to take care of it for us, once the bill actually came.
Even so, we didn't get out of there until 9:20...poor Natasha ended up late. I hope she didn't get in too much trouble.
We had today off. Since it rained most of the day, we spent a lot of time in the apartment. We went out for a little walk and a quick trip to the grocery store...But we spent the majority of the day reading, talking and catching up on our Zzzzzs...
Good thing.
Tomorrow's the appointment.
It's the big day.
I'll let you know how it goes

My thoughts coming later - I've got to get the house cleaned up for the speech teacher's session at noon! :)

0 salty messages:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption

Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP