Powered by Blogger.

nice try

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

All of a sudden Maddie has become a picky little eater.

One day she likes fried chicken...the next she doesn't. On Monday she adores mac and cheese ..on Tuesday she can't stand the sight of it.
I guess yesterday was an off day.
We had an absolutely yummy dinner of meatloaf, mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables.
Maddie didn't want anything to do with it.
First she complained of a tummy ache...
Then it was that her head was hot...
At one point her foot was hurting and she just couldn't take it any longer.
She picked...
and she moaned...
and she whined...
It fell on deaf ears.
I'm not about to raise a picky eater, so I told her...
'Maddie, if you get down right now, you're going to have to eat the rest of this tomorrow for breakfast.'
'Awwwright, Mommy,' she said angelically as she climbed down.
Halleeeeelujaaaaaah! (Cue choir of angels here)
It was a miracle!
She was cured!
Maddie jumped down from the table and started running around the living room with her sister.
'Oh, no.' I said. 'Since you are soooooo sick, you need to go to bed early.'
You know...she never really did complain about the early bed time.
This morning as I was getting everyone their breakfast, Maddie came padding down the hall and into the kitchen.
'Eat,' she asked.
'Sure,' I agreed. 'Climb up into your chair.'
I went to the fridge and pulled out her dinner plate from last night.
Her eyes got wide.
'I no want supper,' she said.
'Sorry hon. That was the deal. You got down without finishing it last night. So you're finishing it this morning.'
'Oh,' she said.
I popped the plate into the mic to warm it up and went about pouring juice and putting cereal on the table. When the microwave beeped I called her...
'Maddie, time to eat.'
Nothing.
'Maddie, come on...your dinner's ready.'
Nothing.
Thinking she was getting dressed, I walked down the hall to her room and opened the door.
The child had turned off her light, closed the curtains and crawled back into bed.
'I no want supper,' she announced. 'I tired.'
Nice try.
I'll give her an A for creativity.
She finally finished her supper around 9 a.m. this morning.

12 salty messages:

Kathy and Matt December 10, 2008 at 10:31 PM  

We've had a similar experience once, maybe twice. I think the lesson has now been learned.

I will give Maddie kudos for the creative reaction to breakfast!

MamaPoRuski December 10, 2008 at 11:23 PM  

Such cruel and unusual punishment you give at your house! Haven't your kids told you yet that all the other moms let their kids have all the junk food when they want, however much they want and not worry about nutrition or cavities? LOL!
MMMMMM, Meatloaf!

Diana December 11, 2008 at 1:22 AM  

I've used this one a time or two myself, but my kids have never gone back to bed over it. They just keep on whining...

Tina in CT December 11, 2008 at 5:39 AM  

I used to have my daughter do a "no thank you helping" if she did not want to try something. Sometimes it took a LLLLLLLong time for her to eat that one tablespoon. There were some things she absolutely hated and I just gave her cereal or a PB&J then. Once I made her sit at the table and eat a few bites of yellow summer squash and then had to clean up the table as she threw up all over it. After that, I only did the 1 Tbl. of the "no thank you" helping. She is now grown up with her own girls and guess what, she's a gourmet cook and eats just about everything (but not broccoli). Kids outgrow the pickiness I found and it wasn't worth the hassle.

Maddie sure is smart and I'm chuckling.

Courtney December 11, 2008 at 7:31 AM  

Hee hee hee. Smart girl!

Svetlana December 11, 2008 at 8:43 AM  

She is very smart!!

I used to do almmost the same.
I used to give my kids another spoon of food they complain about, then they have to finish it or go to bed and finish on next morning. Next time they try not to complain. But now they older we don't have that issue anymore they eat everything.

I my self don't like to eat same food 2 days in the row, so i would do the same thing as Maddie :-)

Elaine December 11, 2008 at 8:54 AM  

I tried that once with Midge. She refused to eat it for breakfast the next day, even though I made her sit at the table forever. Then she refused to eat it for lunch. Then she refused to eat it for dinner. Then she refused to eat it all the next day (I wasn't giving her any snacks, either). Then she threw up because she was so hungry and feeling so lousy (and I relented and let her drink apple cider rather than the water she'd been drinking, which I think was too much for her empty tummy).

Tami December 11, 2008 at 9:32 AM  

Elaine - you have one tough cookie in Midge! :)

kitzkazventure December 11, 2008 at 12:19 PM  

We have the same issues with our 4 1/2 year old. They told us that they would eat anything upon arriving home from Kaz...not so with Nick. He wouldn't even eat the food that we got that was Kaz food! It was a control maneuver from the beginning. He would always choose the punishment or just starve like Elaine's child. I am a dietitian by trade and it was driving me crazy. So we, in the last few months, just said the rule is 4 bites for four years old and then we usually have one bite of a vegetable. For some reason, it has worked great. I guess it just took the battle out of it. Occasionally, he will still fuss and then he just doesn't eat until the next meal. I still have hopes that someday, he will be a great eater! ;) Of course, he would eat "junk" food all of the time....the perils of the American diet...ugh! Good Luck! :)

Tina in CT December 11, 2008 at 12:25 PM  

Elaine,

Who was the tougher cookie - you or Midge?

We all have our likes and dislikes and I still do at age 61.

jessy December 11, 2008 at 2:15 PM  

Hardy, har, har. She's funny. Surprisingly, we have very few food struggles. Right now, I can't remember any. I wonder why that is?
We must be wierd, because I recall many nights as a kid staring at a pile of green beans, LATE into the evening. My dad used to come in and manufacture some tears and I would eat them out of guilt.

Old DAN AND Little ANN December 12, 2008 at 2:16 AM  

That was brilliant diplomacy by mom. She wasn't expecting you to actually do it! My husband feels the same about meatloaf. Maybe I just need a better recipe?! ;)

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP