Powered by Blogger.

planes, trains and automobiles

Thursday, December 11, 2008

One year ago...
---------------------
Which will it be?
Train...Bus...Car?
If our facilitator has his way it will be a car.
When we started this process almost a week ago, I was dreading riding the train.
I had heard horror stories about the bathrooms...
I didn't look forward to being cooped up in a compartment for hours on end...
And I wasn't sure that I could make it through the ride without getting horribly car sick.
So when Lev said the other day that it was only a three hour car ride to the orphanage I jumped at the idea.
A car.
We can stop.
We can go at our own speed.
And I don't have to worry about those nasty bathrooms.
That was, until he told us the price.
$350 for a three hour drive.
I am in the wrong business.
I need to be a driver in Ukraine.
I could make a killing.
Lev really wants us to use the driver. He says it would be more convenient...and he's right. It would.
But we have been here going on 10 days now, and haven't done a single thing adoption related. We're 10 days into our 30 days worth of housing allowance, driving fees and food money.
We can't go blowing $350 in 'Emergency Cash' on a cushy cab ride!
So we are heading to the train station tomorrow morning at 7 a.m. sharp!
We'll be hoping that somebody cancels their four person compartment so we can all sit together...otherwise it looks like at least a couple of us will be split up. If it gets too bad there's always the bus! :)
Lev's not too happy about it...and frankly neither am I. But at least it won't be a 12 hour train ride. It's only 4 hours. That's not so bad.
And with any luck we'll get to meet the little girl tomorrow afternoon...
And we'll finally know if we've found Maddie.
--------------------
BTW - We'll be in a very small city in Western Ukraine. Chances are internet service will be spotty at best. Please bear with us if you don't hear from us for awhile. I'll try my best to keep you all up to date on our progress. If needed, I'll ask my sister-in-law, Valerie to update you all! :)

1 salty messages:

Tina in CT December 11, 2008 at 5:52 PM  

I remember your vivid blog about the long train ride and the wild car ride.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP