Powered by Blogger.

this, that and the other thing

Friday, December 19, 2008

Thank you for all of your guesses.

Leslie, you're right, if I would have taken all four kids, it would have taken forever. Thankfully the three older ones were in school. That's why I decided to try to outrace the pending snowstorm. Since today is the last day of school before Christmas break, I figured the snow is a lot easier to deal with than taking four fidgety kids into a Social Security office next week.
Rachel's the winner! :) I'm impressed. It was about 3 1/2 hrs total from door to door (not including a stop at Mikky D's). Not too bad. The longest part was sitting and waiting for them to call our number.
Thankfully, Maddie loves raisins, suckers, coloring, reading...
Good thing they called us when they did - I was running out of goodies! :)
By the way...they asked for three forms of ID...actually I gave them the COD and adoption decree and then they asked me for her shot record.
'Shot record,' I asked. 'What do you need a shot record for?'
'For another form of ID.'
'Ummmm...would her PASSPORT work?!'
The card will be here in two weeks.
If anyone from Wyoming is looking for the Social Security Office in Cheyenne...it's located in the 'Bureau of Land Management' building on the second floor.
Bureau of Land Management.
Some days I am absolutely convinced I am living in a wild west movie. First it was ice skating cowboys, then the 'Bureau of Land Management and last night...Shad's present from a client.
A roll of Elk sausage.
It smells.
I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth (appropriate, don't you think, now that we're living in Wyoming) but I think we'll be re-gifting it to Shad's dad, who actually hunts elk and likes that kind of thing.
I think we'll stick with the traditional sausage.
I got one early Christmas present last night that I wouldn't trade for anything.
Nick decided to accept Christ as his savior last night.
And I had the honor of helping him.
After he had prayed and ran in to tell his Dad all about it, I tucked him in bed and watched him fall asleep.
I am so thankful for the little gifts in life. I have been there to witness each of my three oldest children as they've made a commitment to Christ.
All three of them have come during the Christmas season.
What a blessing.
This next decision isn't as life changing, but I'm hoping it will help make life around here easier.
I have found myself spending a lot of time on the computer lately, and letting other things slide like ummm...dishes, laundry and house cleaning. All the stuff I should be doing...but would rather not.
Anyway...I don't want to stop reading all of these blogs, so I have decided to take a cue from one of my bloggy friends (I can't remember which one right now - was Eliane or Christina?) and split up my blogging reading by days. Thanks to Google Reader I have put some in a Monday folder, others in a Tuesday and so on.
This way I'll be sure to read each one, hopefully it will leave me more time to comment AND I'll still be able to get my housework done. I've been using it for about a week now and I've already noticed a difference.
So if you don't hear from me on the first day you post an awesome blog, don't worry...I'll be coming around in a couple of days. And chances are, I'll have more time to leave you a pithy, witty little comment.
At least I hope so.

10 salty messages:

Elaine December 19, 2008 at 11:46 AM  

They asked for shot records as a form of ID????? **SNORT** That one has me laughing, for reasons I can't exactly pinpoint. But now you're done!!! Believe it or not, we still have to get the COC for Tank Boy and have his SS card changed to his American name. We're not behind or anything . . .

Debbie December 19, 2008 at 11:56 AM  

Praise God that your son accepted Christ--what a wonderful Christmas gift. :-) A shot record? Ha-ha! That's a good one!

jessy December 19, 2008 at 1:33 PM  

Oh, someone in Texas is very happy for Nick's coversion! Please pray that I can share similar news of Abby's soon!

Leslie December 19, 2008 at 1:54 PM  

Eeewwww! Elk sausage??? That's worse than a ride to the Social Security office with a car full of kids!

Tina in CT December 19, 2008 at 4:42 PM  

Shot record?????

I'd pass on elk sausage too. It's good that your father will enjoy it.

Hope you didn't have to drive in much bad weather.

We're having a major snowstorm that started just before noon and it is coming down in big, fluffy flakes. I've been out twice to shovel as I'd rather do it before it gets too thick and when it's dry and fluffy, it's easy. When we had about 2", I let the puppy out loose figuring she'd do her thing and want to come right back in. Wrong! She took off down the back of the driveway, came back when I called and then took off for the backyard and wooded area again. I was right after her with just my slippers on and my flannels. I caught her as she came up to me and tucked her under my arm. After that, I always hooked her on the line for the few minutes she was out.

My daughter and granddaughters fly to her in-laws tomorrow so let's hope they don't hit any bad weather and arrive safely. Let's also hope that the girls don't give her fodder for a blog.

Love your holiday header on both blogs.

Karen December 21, 2008 at 12:56 AM  

Hi! Here from IComLeavWe checking out adoption blogs on day 1...don't feel you need to add my blog to your list! Do the dishes instead :) But your kids are gorgeous!

Liddy December 21, 2008 at 10:03 AM  

Here from ICLW!

Oh the dishes. I am hoping they will magically get washed in my house- yeah right on that one.

A bit concerned about the Elk Sausage! :)

Wishcrafter December 21, 2008 at 10:19 AM  

I know you. You have her shot records on a color-coded spreadsheet...
Miss you -
Karen

Amanda December 21, 2008 at 4:16 PM  

I'm doing the ICLW thing and I've never been to your blog before, but I have to say how great I think it is that you've adopted these children. You're an inspiration. I hope Maddie's adjustment continues to go well! Merry Christmas.

Andrea December 21, 2008 at 8:55 PM  

Ugh...I HATE the SS office! When I went to change my name after getting married I pulled number B96or something. I didn't think it'd be too bad until I looked and then were on A53! I left and mailed in my stuff. Glad you made it in and out in a relatively decent amunt of time!

ICLW.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP