Powered by Blogger.

day 7

Saturday, January 17, 2009

One year ago...
--------------------------
Seven days down...three to go.
Not too bad.
It's gone pretty quickly.
In Ukraine, you have to wait 10 days for the court decree to take affect. It gives you time to bond with your child...and a chance for anyone who wants to, to contest the decision.
But once that wait is over...they're yours.
Only three more days until I'm officially a mommy of four.
Wow.
We've been pretty lucky with this part of the process...four days of our wait have come over the weekend...and the 10 days are up on a Sunday. So Monday we can immediately get to work on finishing up the paperwork.
The end is in sight.
I'm not sure what day I'll finally get custody of Maddie. Technically I should be able to get custody of her on Monday, but my facilitator is suggesting that we let her stay in the orphanage for a few more days while we run around and finish up the paperchase.
The mommy side of me wants to scream, 'NO!' I want my child out of there as quickly as possible.
But the reasonable side of me knows at this point Maddie doesn't know any differently. She's always been at the orphanage. In fact, taking her away from the only home she has ever known will be traumatic. Why add to the trauma by dragging her all of creation, trying to hunt down papers?
It's bad enough for me...I can't imagine subjecting a toddler to it.
So, she'll stay...but just until we get the paperwork done.
Then I'm springing her from that joint! :)
Today's visit went well. We stayed inside even though the other children went out. It worked out much better.
We were able to sit and read, eat and work on our vocabulary.
A French couple is also adopting from this orphange...their daughter is younger than Maddie. They stayed in too. It was a little crowded, but we got along just fine. They spoke a little English so we were able to talk about timelines and development. You know...typical international adoptive parent stuff. ;)
I had a great moment with Maddie today. While the other family was off playing a game, Maddie and I ate some raisins - actually, she ate the raisins, I fed them to her.
When she was done, she climbed up in my lap and I started rocking her. As we rocked, she snuggled in closer.
She was the most relaxed I have ever seen her...and she did a great job of making eye contact. What a wonderful gift. The first signs of true bonding.
Sigh.
All too soon the visit was over and I headed back to the apartment. I dropped off Maddie's backpack and grabbed my grocery list. It was time to go grocery shopping. I hadn't really done much shopping since Meshack left.
I needed...

- milk
- water
- butter
- bread
- cheese
- chicken
- salt
- pepper
- potatoes
- chocolate
- crackers
I found everything but the crackers. I wasn't expecting to find saltines...just kind of hoping. I want to make some potato soup and crackers with butter sounds really good right now.
Finding the salt and pepper turned out to be a little more difficult than I expected. I didn't realize how many spices look like pepper. And the salt is not the finely ground stuff we're used to. But I finally figured it out.
I carried the groceries the five and a half blocks back to the apartment, stopping every so often to switch the bags around. I never realized just how heavy a 2 liter bottle of water could be! :)
I got 'home', put the groceries away, fixed lunch - scrambled eggs and cheese, changed into sweats and was just settling on the couch to read a book when I heard someone fumbling with my front door. I could hear them speaking Russian as they messed with it.
Finally, they knocked.
It was the cleaning crew.
Can I just say, 'I want one!'
I want a cleaning crew.
They came in and had my place sparkling in less than a hour.
Meshack...when I get home can I have a cleaning crew?!
Pleeeeeease????
After they left, all was quiet.
So quiet, I fell asleep.
I woke two hours later (boy, I must have been tired) and it was dark outside. Too late to go do anything, so I snuggled back under the covers and watched 'While You Were Sleeping.'
A pretty do-nothing kind of day.
But a good one.
And I'm one more day closer to springing Maddie! ;)

0 salty messages:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP