Powered by Blogger.

flat, sweet flat

Thursday, January 8, 2009

One year ago...
We're here.
Boy, it takes a loooooong time to fly to Ukraine.
And it wasn't without it's hitches.
We started out early yesterday morning by arriving at the airport late.
Really late.
We barely had enough time to check the luggage, go through security and get straight in line to board.
Nothing like waiting until the last minute.
It was par for the course yesterday...we cut it close for every single flight.
But what we lacked in timing we more than made up for in entertainment. I think we had the most unique fellow fliers in the history of our adoption trips.
From Kansas City to Atlanta I sat between two women who had experience with adoption. The one on my right had adopted two boys, who are now full grown. The one on my left was adopted as a baby. It was great getting their perspectives...and it helped pass the time.
Meanwhile Meshack was a few rows back with a couple of guys who didn't speak a word. I think he liked it that way. He was able to catch up on some of his sleep.
When we arrived at Atlanta we had 45 minutes to find our gate...not nearly long enough. We had to rush…and I mean rush…to catch our flight.
And we both neeeeeeded to go to the little boys and girls room.
No time.
We arrived at the gate to find them in the middle of the boarding process. Great…we had made it, but UGH there was no way we were going have time to use the facilities.
Melissa and Steve must have thought we were a little off. We were so caught up in our need to find a lavatory, we had forgotten our blogging buddies were on the same flight to JFK. They met us at the gate and all we had time to do was to give each other a quick hello and onto the plane we went.
From Atlanta to JFK I sat next to Meshack...you know about him. ;)
When we arrived in JFK we met up with Melissa and Steve and headed off to make our connection to Kiev. Thankfully, this time we had over three hours to wait, so we stopped off at Burger King for one last American meal and some great conversation.
We talked and talked and talked.
I don’t think there was any lull in the conversation. While we had never met in person, it was like meeting up with old friends.
We finally looked at our watched and decided it was time to catch our flight.
The gate was further away than we thought.
We made it to the gate with seconds to spare. ;)
We got on board and make our way to our seats...27 C and D...middle seats.
In 27 E was an older man on his way to Ukraine to meet a female friend.
He's never met her before.
I think it's one of those international dating things.
Not sure...but sure seemed that way.
And the best part...he was a talker.
So for the first two or three hours we were entertained - even though all we wanted to do was sleep. He told us how he was from Norfolk, Virginia and was on his way to meet his 'friend.' She was a concert pianist, vocalist and was a professor at a local university.
He was supposed to leave the day before but had missed his flight. So the airline had put him up for the night, gave him some free meal tickets and a free drink for the plane.
Yep. I know everything about him now...
except his name.
I don't think he ever told me.
I did help him fill out his passport control form...but I forgot to check his name.
We finally touched down around 9:30 this morning 40 minutes early (we had a doozy of a tail wind)...and Bogdan was there to pick us up.
I don't think I've told you about him yet. He was supposed to be my first profile installment...before the court date notice.
You really need to meet him.
Anyway...it was so nice to see a friendly face.
He immediately brought us back to the flat we called home for three weeks in December.
It's good to be 'home.'
Only one problem.
We're not supposed to be here.
The plan was to run around today doing paperwork and then to head to Odessa tonight. Now it's all been pushed off until tomorrow and we won't be able to get on the train until 10 p.m. tomorrow night...which means we get into Odessa around 8 a.m. Thursday.
Court is at 11 a.m. Thursday.
It sounds like one of Q-ball's math story problems...

Two American's leave the Kiev train station at 10 p.m on an adoption trip to
Odessa. The couple rides in a private berth on a train traveling 60 miles an
hour, stopping every 10 minutes to pick up some more travelers, and they arrive at their destination at 8 a.m. How many hours will it take for them to look
presentable for court?

Can't figure it out?
Let me give you a hint.
The answer is NOT three hours!!
They expect us to ride a train for 10 hours and then have to go to court three hours later? And we won't even have time to visit Maddie?!
I'm back in Ukraine.
There’s no point in planning anything…it’s just going to go right out the window.
I have to remember that.
I'm in Ukraine.
I'm in Ukraine.
I'm in.....

0 salty messages:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption

Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP