Powered by Blogger.

on my own

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

One year ago...
Isn't there a song by that name?

Who sang it anyway?
No, wait! Don't look it up! I've got time...I'll google it!
Today was my first day absolutely on my own and I have to say I did alright...except for one little trash throwing incident but let's not tell Meshack about that, shall we?
It'll just be our little secret. ;)
The day started out bright and early with a phone call to Meshack to find out how his train ride went. He said he did great...slept the whole night. So he's finally on Kiev time...just in time to head home. ;)
I hung up and got ready to visit Maddie.
I have a standing order in with the Odessa Exec. Suites to order me a taxi every morning so I can go visit Maddie at 10 a.m. They make the call...the taxi shows up at 9:30.
It's a pretty sweet deal. (sorry, I couldn't pass up the pun...again)
The biggest thing I have to worry about, is showing the taxi driver the little piece of paper with the orphanage's address on it and then making sure my strawberry nutri-grain bar stays where it's supposed to (if you know what I mean. ;))
Our visit this morning was a little rough. Maddie came running as always, but immediately started looking for Meshack. I tried explaining he went home (dom) or bye-bye (baka-baka or das vedanya) but she wasn't having any of it.
Yea, sweetie...I feel the same way.
I finally distracted her with a new coloring book and all was well in the world once again.
We didn't go outside today...the other kids did, but for some reason they didn't invite us. They just kept pointing back to the kids' playroom, so instead of rocking the boat, we stayed inside.
I think we would have been better doing a little rockin'.
Maddie has shown me a new side of her personality. One that wasn't entirely unexpected, but a new wrinkle non-the-less.
She is a pouty fit thrower.
She doesn't scream and cry (which is a blessing). She just drops to the floor and sticks out her bottom lip.
I've been tempted to laugh. If that's the best she can throw at me then she's in a heap of trouble. ;) But I know (a) it's probably not her best attempt and (b) laughing will only make it worse, so she had her first little bit of correction today.
Unfortunately it wasn't too effective because a caregiver walked in at that moment and my message was lost. I was trying a form of time-out and as soon as the woman came in she called Nastya over to her.
That's another of the frustrating parts of this process.
She's mine...and she's not.
I won't really feel comfortable in getting serious about discipline until we get home or at least until I get custody of her. Until then, I'm at the mercy of the caregivers.
After that little incident however, things went swimmingly. And here's where it gets good...
She cried when I left.
How sweet is that?!!!
Okay...I know it's a little mean of me. The idea of being happy that she's sad is a little twisted, but it's how international adoption works. You want them to be sad when you leave.
It means you're making a difference...an impression.
It's a start.
Coming home from the orphanage is always an experience.
First I have to find someone to call me a taxi. This is usually done with an extensive round of charades (Does anyone know how to say, 'Can you please call me a taxi?' in Russian?) followed by the wait.
This morning even the pantemiming didn't work.
The poor security lady didn't have a clue what I wanted.
After five minutes of wild gesturing and then staring at each other, obviously hoping to use our telepathic powers, I called Lev.
Five minutes later the cab pulled up.
Why don't I just do that every day?!
I came home,fixed macaroni and cheese for lunch (aren't you glad I'm including the details) and then headed out for a quick walk. I wanted to pick up some trash sacks and try to find a toy for Maddie.
The trash sacks were relatively easy.
I found a neat little store a block away that had a lot of English products, so it was easy to figure out what was what. I'm going back there.
Finding the toy was a different story.
I finally found a five story mall tucked inside a relatively obscure building near the Mikky-D's. The top floor was dedicated to kids stuff...I keep forgetting the malls here are organized by gender. I ended up traipsing through each and every level looking for anything kid related...all I came up with was a men's floor, a jewelry and makeup floor, a women's clothing floor and a floor with shoes.
Finally success.
The fifth floor was full of kids stuff...expensive kids stuff.
I bought her a sensory ball.
It's meant for toddlers, but I figure with the orphanage delay we can probably get some use out of it for at least the next two weeks (maybe longer).
Then I headed home. It was getting late and I don't like being in my alley at night. There are scary shadows out there. I pretty much lock myself in for the night at 4 p.m.
I got home just fine and decided I had better get the trash out before nightfall, so I gathered it up and headed across the street to throw it in the blue bins.
I had just tossed it into the bin when an older woman came up to me and started yelling loudly telling me something in Russian.
Is there some sort of trash removal protocol I'm not aware of? I evidentally insulted the woman somehow but honestly I don't know what I did.
Maybe I threw it in the wrong bin?
Who knows?
The only thing I know for sure is the next time I take the trash out it's going to be early in the morning before ANYONE is up! ;)
Above: Maddie shows off her artwork on the Doodle Pro. Talented, isn't she? Me? No, I'm not biased...I just know a talented artist when I see one! ;)

0 salty messages:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption

Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP