Powered by Blogger.

beware the really, really cranky mommy

Monday, February 16, 2009

I'm in a mood today.

A pretty foul mood.
It may be best if you keep your distance.
Unfortunately for the kids, they have no choice. They're stuck with me. ALL. DAY.
What, you ask, could possibly have put me in such a cantankerous mood?
Hmmm...let's see...

1. Little to no sleep - For some reason I've been having a hard time sleeping lately. Can't fall asleep when I want to...then don't want to wake up when I have to. Me plus no sleep equals really cranky mom.

2. Maddie's Midnight Mop-Up - Maddie had an accident last night. No big deal, honest...but I have a feeling its been going on for awhile and I just figured it out last night during my battle with insomnia. When I went to put new pj's on her they all had a very suspicious smell to them. Argh. I'm heading to Wally World this afternoon to get some pull-ups and see if we can't get to the bottom of this. I'm dreading the process.

3. Nighttime shenanigans - Maddie has been doing a lot of playing around in her room at night lately. We are constantly hearing her running around in her room in the middle of the night...and having to deal with her accordingly. Unfortunately, for some reason my usually compliant child just isn't learning the lesson.

4. Movie Madness - As silly as it sounds, the movie thing is really driving me nuts! I've tried just about everything known to man and I'm getting a sneaky feeling its my wacked out computer. I've been having a lot of problems with it lately. I'm ready to toss it out the window, unfortunately its in the basement and it won't give me a big sense of revenge just chucking it out my garden level windows.

5. Bully on the Playground - My son...my sweet, youngest son did a horrible thing on Friday. He was a bully on the playground. Nick was playing tag with some other kids on the playground when one of the kids asked him to stop chasing him. Instead, Nick shoved him to the ground, bloodying up his hands, knees and tummy. Then during another recess Nick shoved a kid up against the brick wall because Nick didn't think he needed to wear his coat...and the kid had the audacity to disagree.
Sigh.
Every once in awhile we have troubles with Nick and his temper, but up until now its been something we've dealt with at home. He's never pulled anything like this at school before. Nick's weekend has been horrible (for him). He's spent hours sitting next to me, doing absolutely nothing....gone to bed early every night...couldn't play at Chuck E. Cheese's for Maddie's birthday party...worked his tail off...hasn't watched any TV...lost every privilege known to a seven-year-old boy.
And got a very LOOOONG sermon on being nice to people...and NEVER pushing, hitting or shoving.
I have also asked his teacher about not letting him have recess all next week - and she agreed.
Sigh.
I hope it works.
The only bright spot in this ordeal is that he admitted to it...a little nonchalantly perhaps...but I'll take it.
I'm dreading Tuesday.

6. Job Jitters - I'm supposed to hear something this week about the job. I've been a nervous wreck all weekend (which, I guess, could explain the insomnia) talking myself in and out of a job a million times. Sometimes I think I'll get that call any minute...at other times I'm positive they'll find a reason not to hire me. I sent an email last week thanking them for meeting with me. I haven't hear so much as a peep. ARGH! Enough already...just call and tell me one way or the other.

7. Insurance Insanity - Anya got sick this weekend - the first time since we've had this yucky insurance - and I found out just how yucky it is. Not only did the urgent care office not file the visit for us, so we had to pay for the whole thing out of pocket...but when we went to get her prescription the only discount the insurance gave us was $1.48 off the antibiotic. Okay. How is it that Shad's employer pays $1400 every three months for insurance that can't even save us a few dollars on prescriptions?!!!!!!

8. Anya's Ears - Anya is fine...she just has yet another ear infection. This poor child has been fighting ear infections since the day she was born - or at least I imagine she has. She literally had them every few months between the ages of two and four. Finally, we found an ENT willing to put in tubes and take out adenoids and tonsils. Still...every once in awhile she gets ear infections.
Now...remember a few months ago when I told you the school district had tested Anya and told us that she had a mild hearing loss in her right ear? And how I had a sneaking suspicion it was fluid from our swimming excursion the week before? How every time Anya had the hearing screening every year at school, she failed the test only to have me take her in to her ENT to have her pass the tests with flying colors?
Well, guess what? Anya had a follow-up screening last week...and guess what?! She failed?! And guess what? She now has an ear infection!
I may just lose my ever-lovin' mind.
I can't win for losing when it comes to her ears.

One spot of good news...we heard back from the home owners and they've agreed to continue the contract until June. Not only will we not have to move...we can keep paying our below-market rent.
That helps.


18 salty messages:

Suzanne February 16, 2009 at 12:07 PM  

sorry you are so cranky...all of that would get me cranky too. I have been waiting to hear about your job too. I have my fingers crossed for you.

Troy and Rachel February 16, 2009 at 12:27 PM  

You have a lot on your plate right now so I totally understand the crankiness! I'm happy to hear about the house situation at least until June!

Bethany February 16, 2009 at 12:34 PM  

oh, what a weekend. Let's hope things settle down a bit, and you get that call you want!

Katie February 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM  

Wow, what a frustrating list of things to have on your mind! I really hope that you get that job to take some of that stress away.

And, good for you for taking such a strong stance on the bullying! This country needs more parents who take that stuff seriously and react accordingly. It is a tough thing to do, but you are definitely doing the right thing.

Anonymous,  February 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM  

Tami,
I am a long time lurker, but what you described about Anya's ears hit close to home. I was the same way as a child. I had ear infections ALL the time, had tubes in my ears twice, had my tonsils removed, etc. We finally found out it was all related to allergies. Fluid build up in my ears was my primary allergic reaction. It got so bad I would go temporarily deaf in one or both ears.

I was put on an allergy medicine and got shots every so often and it help immensely. During high school I weaned off the allergy medicine and just use it occassionally for really bad symptoms. I can't remember the last time I had an ear ache.

I know you said that you're insurance is sucky, but it might be worth getting her tested for allergies.

Just a suggestion.
Christine

Anonymous,  February 16, 2009 at 12:45 PM  

really nice blog!

The best thing for Ear infection is the eardoc.it is non invasive and it treats the problem and not the symptoms and it help 94% of its users.
www.eardoc.info

Debbie February 16, 2009 at 1:11 PM  

I'm so sorry to hear all this! But I'm glad you can stay in the house.

As far as ear infections, many people develop ear infections and other problems when they consume pasteurized milk. The best thing to consume is full-fat, raw milk (www.realmilk.com). Do a search on "ear infection" on www.westonaprice.org (and search for anything else health or nutrition related--it's a great site!). I hope Anya's ear problems clear up soon!

Elaine February 16, 2009 at 1:21 PM  

Oh, the lack of sleep! That can really, really make the whole world look dark and ugly, can't it? So sorry you've got all that going on all at once. Hopefully you'll hear about the job SOON, and hopefully it is good news, though the not knowing is even worse than bad news sometimes. At least you dont' have to pick up and move in the next six weeks.

Carolynn and Steve February 16, 2009 at 1:55 PM  

I can understand why you're cranky with so much going on---it is totally understandable, so please don't beat yourself up for being stressed. There are a lot of stressors in your life at the moment, and they're all going to basically peck at you until you're driven to distraction. It's OK, and know that I'm praying for you!

Rachael February 16, 2009 at 4:55 PM  

Tami, I don't know what the situation out there is, but many of the local pharmacies, (especially the ones in grocery stores) here in Michigan have free antibiotics (there are quite a few on the list of freebies too.) You should check around about that for next time! Walmart's are not free, but they have quite a few for $4.

Hope you get some sleep this week AND some good job-related news.

Oh, and our dear Katya had a playground bully incident last week too. I haven't posted about it yet, but I was horrified! I've yet to decide (other than giving her a fierce talking to and a promise that more punishment will follow) what to do. I think I'll send her to your boot camp!

Melissa E. February 16, 2009 at 7:53 PM  

I bet it felt good to get it all down on "paper" didn't it?! Now, take a multivitamin, get some sunshine, put a pull up on that girl and snuggle with your man! :-)
That's my prescription and your stinky insurance doesn't need to cover it!

Hope you're feeling more cheerful soon--Good thing is that moods are moody and they pass, right?!

Lolli February 16, 2009 at 8:32 PM  

OH boy, can I relate! I hope tomorrow's better for you@

Tina in CT February 16, 2009 at 8:40 PM  

I like Rachel's term about boot camp. I am in 100% agreement with how you and Shad are dealing with Nick. Good for you about taking such a strict stand. That should cure him of it.

Poor Maddie.

I am glad that you don't have to move out and find another temp rental.

I so hope you hear good news this week.

jessy February 16, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

You need to come over and finish this half of a King Cake with me and watch Pride and Prejudice. That'll set us up, o.k.?

Leslie February 17, 2009 at 8:11 PM  

Okay, you have you admit that the good news is a trump card in the grand scheme of things. I am still struggling with losing my incredible job at the end of the year so that we don't lose our house. Praying for you, Tami, and all the little details that make life hard.

joy February 17, 2009 at 8:58 PM  

I really hope you get the job.Take care.

Ashley February 18, 2009 at 12:17 AM  

I hope you are feeling better today. You do have a lot going on. I hope you are sleeping soundly right now. :)

Annie February 18, 2009 at 4:51 PM  

As far as I am concerned you are allowed to be in a really cranky mood! I'll also allow you to be sleepless and to patter around...but I wouldn't worry if Maddie did it, too.

Is she being naughty in the middle of the night? Or is she just not able to sleep and finding something to do?

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP