Unfortunately for the kids, they have no choice. They're stuck with me. ALL. DAY.
What, you ask, could possibly have put me in such a cantankerous mood?
1. Little to no sleep - For some reason I've been having a hard time sleeping lately. Can't fall asleep when I want to...then don't want to wake up when I have to. Me plus no sleep equals really cranky mom.
2. Maddie's Midnight Mop-Up - Maddie had an accident last night. No big deal, honest...but I have a feeling its been going on for awhile and I just figured it out last night during my battle with insomnia. When I went to put new pj's on her they all had a very suspicious smell to them. Argh. I'm heading to Wally World this afternoon to get some pull-ups and see if we can't get to the bottom of this. I'm dreading the process.
3. Nighttime shenanigans - Maddie has been doing a lot of playing around in her room at night lately. We are constantly hearing her running around in her room in the middle of the night...and having to deal with her accordingly. Unfortunately, for some reason my usually compliant child just isn't learning the lesson.
4. Movie Madness - As silly as it sounds, the movie thing is really driving me nuts! I've tried just about everything known to man and I'm getting a sneaky feeling its my wacked out computer. I've been having a lot of problems with it lately. I'm ready to toss it out the window, unfortunately its in the basement and it won't give me a big sense of revenge just chucking it out my garden level windows.
5. Bully on the Playground - My son...my sweet, youngest son did a horrible thing on Friday. He was a bully on the playground. Nick was playing tag with some other kids on the playground when one of the kids asked him to stop chasing him. Instead, Nick shoved him to the ground, bloodying up his hands, knees and tummy. Then during another recess Nick shoved a kid up against the brick wall because Nick didn't think he needed to wear his coat...and the kid had the audacity to disagree.
Every once in awhile we have troubles with Nick and his temper, but up until now its been something we've dealt with at home. He's never pulled anything like this at school before. Nick's weekend has been horrible (for him). He's spent hours sitting next to me, doing absolutely nothing....gone to bed early every night...couldn't play at Chuck E. Cheese's for Maddie's birthday party...worked his tail off...hasn't watched any TV...lost every privilege known to a seven-year-old boy.
And got a very LOOOONG sermon on being nice to people...and NEVER pushing, hitting or shoving.
I have also asked his teacher about not letting him have recess all next week - and she agreed.
I hope it works.
The only bright spot in this ordeal is that he admitted to it...a little nonchalantly perhaps...but I'll take it.
I'm dreading Tuesday.
6. Job Jitters - I'm supposed to hear something this week about the job. I've been a nervous wreck all weekend (which, I guess, could explain the insomnia) talking myself in and out of a job a million times. Sometimes I think I'll get that call any minute...at other times I'm positive they'll find a reason not to hire me. I sent an email last week thanking them for meeting with me. I haven't hear so much as a peep. ARGH! Enough already...just call and tell me one way or the other.
7. Insurance Insanity - Anya got sick this weekend - the first time since we've had this yucky insurance - and I found out just how yucky it is. Not only did the urgent care office not file the visit for us, so we had to pay for the whole thing out of pocket...but when we went to get her prescription the only discount the insurance gave us was $1.48 off the antibiotic. Okay. How is it that Shad's employer pays $1400 every three months for insurance that can't even save us a few dollars on prescriptions?!!!!!!
8. Anya's Ears - Anya is fine...she just has yet another ear infection. This poor child has been fighting ear infections since the day she was born - or at least I imagine she has. She literally had them every few months between the ages of two and four. Finally, we found an ENT willing to put in tubes and take out adenoids and tonsils. Still...every once in awhile she gets ear infections.
Now...remember a few months ago when I told you the school district had tested Anya and told us that she had a mild hearing loss in her right ear? And how I had a sneaking suspicion it was fluid from our swimming excursion the week before? How every time Anya had the hearing screening every year at school, she failed the test only to have me take her in to her ENT to have her pass the tests with flying colors?
Well, guess what? Anya had a follow-up screening last week...and guess what?! She failed?! And guess what? She now has an ear infection!
I may just lose my ever-lovin' mind.
I can't win for losing when it comes to her ears.
One spot of good news...we heard back from the home owners and they've agreed to continue the contract until June. Not only will we not have to move...we can keep paying our below-market rent.