Powered by Blogger.

happy birthday maddie!

Friday, February 13, 2009

My baby turns five today!
A year ago she was speaking only Russian...today she can chew out her brothers in the most colorful English terms.
A year ago she wasn't able to hear much of the world around her...today she doesn't miss anything, often bringing our attention to the little things we take for granted.
A year ago she didn't even know her new name...today she not only knows her name, she can spell it...and SIGN it.
A year ago she was absolutely terrified of dogs, cats, anything that moved...today she is hugging and squeezing Lulu and Wonka...and handing out puppy and kitty valentines.
In the last year our Maddie has grown and changed so much she barely resembles the little bundle of energy we met a year ago.
On this incredibly special day I'm remembering someone else.
Maddie's biological mom.
I don't know her name.
I don't know how old she is.
I have no idea where she lives.
And I may never know.
The only things I know about her, I glean from Maddie's face.
I imagine she has the same brown eyes that twinkle with mischief.
She may have the same brown hair with just a hint of curl.
And she may possess the same smile that lights up a room.
I can only imagine what she's feeling today.
Wondering what happened to the child she gave birth to five years ago...with a disability too much for her to handle.
Asking herself, 'what if...'

Wishing she had handled things differently.
At least I hope she does.
So in honor of Maddie's birthday, I would like to ask you to give her bio mom a very special gift.

Your prayers.
Please pray that she'll find peace.
I've been praying for that for a long time. I can't imagine what it must have been like to leave her child in the way she did. Only God can give her that peace.
I trust He already has.
Happy Birthday sweet Maddie!

18 salty messages:

I am Harriet February 14, 2009 at 10:05 AM  

That's so sweet.
Happy Birthday!

Katie February 14, 2009 at 10:06 AM  

Happy Birthday, Maddie! And good luck with maintaining sanity at that rat place!

Diana February 14, 2009 at 10:27 AM  

She is such a cutie!

I do know some about my boys' birth mother. What I do know is not pretty at all. It took me a long time to get to the point where I could forgive her(and a few other choice people as well.) Thankfully, God's mercy extends to all of us. My heart has been changed and I am so thankful for that. Today I cannot imagine how she must feel living with the knowledge of the past. I pray all the time that God will speak peace to her heart, that she will know the boys are happy and safe and doing well, and that some way, some how, a miracle will happen and she will be able to find the help for herself that she so desperately needs. I hope the same is true for Maddie's birth mother!

Rachael February 14, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

Happy, Happy Birthday to your dear, sweet girl!


And to think, you ALMOST left Ukraine without meeting her. How different things would've turned out.

Jen February 14, 2009 at 11:56 AM  

What a wonderful post! Happy Birthday, Maddie! She is lucky to have someone so caring in her life.

Blessings,
Jen

My blogs:
God's Shining Stars
Creative and Curious Kids!

Debbie February 14, 2009 at 12:32 PM  

Happy, happy birthday to your sweet little five-year-old! (And peace to her birth mom, too.) Enjoy your birthday celebration weekend, Maddie!

Sheryl February 14, 2009 at 2:48 PM  

Happy Birthday, Maddie!

Tina in CT February 14, 2009 at 3:29 PM  

What a moving post.

Happy 5th birthday to Maddie and I'm sure you all are having a celebration.

Maddie's first year here in the US has brought about such changes for her - all for the better - thanks to her caring and loving parents and family.

Elaine February 14, 2009 at 7:43 PM  

Happy birthday Maddie! I always think about the boys' birthmoms on their birthdays,too. I wonder how they feel, if they are sad, if they have peace. I know a bit about each of them, one more than the other, and I wonder how much they know about us, the family their sons are part of, and if they want to know more.

Bethany February 14, 2009 at 10:53 PM  

No wonder she's so loving, with a birthday so close to Valentine's Day! What a cute little girl. Her other mother would be proud to see her today, I think.

Heart of Rachel February 15, 2009 at 1:46 AM  

This is a sweet and touching post. Happy Birthday to Maddie. It's kind of you to take time to remember her biological mom.

Svetlana February 15, 2009 at 9:39 AM  

Happy Birthday Maddie!!!!!

Colette February 15, 2009 at 9:44 AM  

Happy Birthday Maddie! I hope you had a wonderful day and I can't wait to see some birthday pictures.

I hope our prayers can reach out to Maddie's birth mother and give her the peace of knowing that Maddie is in a wonderful place.

joy February 15, 2009 at 6:17 PM  

happy birthday to your daughter, may she lead a happy and blessed life.

Christine February 15, 2009 at 10:16 PM  

Happy Birthday! You are a wonderful woman Tami!

Annie February 16, 2009 at 5:30 AM  

Tami - I am crying. I don't know why, but I cannot help but think of my children's mothers ALL THE TIME. Maybe because I love their children SO much. I was just writing my husband about Sergei's mom. He is such a wonderful, smart, gentle boy - he has such honesty and integrity. I KNOW that his parents had to have been good people. I knew it even before we did a search and through God's goodness, reconnected with Sergei's sister - who, just as I suspected, is a lovely young woman. And Zhenya's mother who met a tragic end....and Nastya's and Ilya's mother who was so lost. A lost soul....how I wonder what happened to her, to cause her to behave in such self-destructive ways. It just wrenches my heart to think of it. And when I look at Maddie's photos I can see her mom, too. God bless her. If only she could know how cherished and beloved her little girl is.

Ashley February 18, 2009 at 12:23 AM  

Happy belated birthday Maddie!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP