Powered by Blogger.

tuesday tidbits

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I have learned if left to my own devices I can, indeed, eat a whole bag of Sun Chips Harvest Cheddar chips.

I

'm sorry its been so quiet around here lately. That big, huge, monstrous, over-sized freelance job took up way more of my time than I wanted it to. But its finally over.
Well, okay. Sorta.

I'm still getting stories in that I need to clean up, but for the most part I'm done.
Hallelujah!
Actually, it wasn't so bad - way better than when I worked there. It was just a little time consuming.

I'd rather be reading blogs than proof-reading stuff any day! :)
Okay. I guess I should catch you up on what's been going on around here in the last few days. Hmmm....where to start?
Let's begin with some kid news...


Toothless Grins - Guess who lost a tooth? Yep...the Madster. I'm not too happy about it. It means my littlest little is growing up...and I'm not prepared. Not in the least. I think its time to go back to Russia/Ukraine and bring home another one so I have at least a few more years before I get old. What do you say? Anyone want to ante up on the adoption costs?

Final Four - Nick and Alek are finally done with basketball. Can I get a 'Hallelujah'?! It was one season, that while it didn't last long, sure felt like forever. Could it have been the twice a week games and practices? I think so.

On the rebound - My dad had surgery this week, which was another reason for my blogging absence. He's fine...recovering at home now. The surgery was a pretty big one. Several years ago he was in a serious car accident which left him in the hospital for six weeks. One of his injuries was a broken right femur. The bone has been giving him trouble ever since.
Last Thursday he had surgery to remove the rod that had been placed in his leg during the initial surgery. They're hoping this will get rid of his chronic pain. Please keep him in your prayers. He's got another long recovery ahead.

In other news...
Here are some things I learned this week...

  • I have learned if left to my own devices I can, indeed, eat a whole bag of Sun Chips Harvest Cheddar chips. Just so ya know.
  • Chicago got the wrong moniker. The 'Windy City' has nothing on Grab-Your-Lasso. I don't think the wind ever stops. Thankfully, the awesome mountain view kind of makes up for it.
  • I have a theory. I think at higher elevations snow melts at a much lower temperature. Today on my way to pick up Maddie from preschool my in-car thermometer said 18 degrees...but snow was melting EVERYWHERE. I'm not too interested in testing my theory, however. Not because I don't like science - I actually do like a good experiment. No, it has more to do with my comfort. There is No. Way. I'm going to spend any real amount of time outdoors in 18 degree weather. The snow may be melting...but I'm not.
  • I have recently discovered a 'memo' button on my Palm phone. Its opened up a whole new world for me. No longer do I have an excuse for not blogging about the things I think about during my four trips per day to the other side of town to pick the kids up from school. No excuse whatsoever. I'm using the little contraption to record my brilliant ideas. Of course when I listen to them later, they're not so brilliant...but that's a other blog.
  • Spring will never come. Not to Grab-Your-Lasso. Last night as I was watching Alek's last basketball game, I was talking to another parent. I made the mistake of asking when spring usually arrives around here. She snickered a bit and then said, 'well, it sorta comes in late April, but if you put flowers out then, they'll get snowed on. Its best to wait until June.
    JUNE?!
    Are. You. Kidding. Me?!
    Alright everyone...say it with me - 'Shad, let's move back to Kansas.'
  • Given the opportunity, the mom-mobile doesn't do too bad a job of plowing through one-foot high snow drifts. I know this because it snowed again last night. And of course, the plows didn't plow. With the 50 mph winds that kicked up this afternoon, all of that snow was piled up at the end of our driveway and about every 15 feet on my drive to pick up the kids. I say the mom-mobile and I have a future in snow plowing. Think I could make it a career?
  • Maddie is growing. Not the gradual kind like she's been doing for the last year. Nope. The child has jumped a size in both shirts and jeans in the last week - I swear. Shhhh....don't tell Anya, but despite a three year age difference, Maddie is only one size behind her in jeans and two sizes back in shirts.
    The thing is, she isn't really gaining much weight. She's still as tiny around the waist as they come. I have to get her the slim jeans with the adjustable waist bands and cinch them all the way up, just so they stay on her. Oh, to be that thin! She definitely doesn't take after me.
  • Shad is going back to Kansas in a couple of weeks to bring back our alpaca. I guess that means he has made up his mind that we really are sticking it out here. Oh, you didn't realize we owned an alpaca? Yep. She's a lovely animal (can you hear the sarcasm?) named Arana...except everyone calls her Ariana. I have yet to meet her - even though we've had her about a year. She's been boarding at one of Shad's former clients. Now, we get to have her at Shad's clinic...just a few blocks away. I guess that means I'd better start brushing up on my alpaca grooming techniques. Like I have any.
  • Since we won't be leaving Grab-Your-Lasso we are house hunting again. Well, not quite yet, but we will be. Our contract on this house expires in June and since we a) don't have any hopes of finding a buyer for our Kansas house and b) I haven't found a job - we're going to need to move this summer. Fun. Stuff. My only hope is that we can find a nice brand-new duplex to rent. I'm not crazy about duplex living...especially with four kids...however, there are a TON of brand new duplex's (is that a word?) being built nearby and I would love nothing better than anything brand new. I'll keep you updated on the search.

8 salty messages:

Katie March 10, 2009 at 7:42 PM  

Ooooh...alpaca. I just bought some alpaca yarn because it was so stinkin' soft. If I had any clue how to turn a live alpaca into yarn, I'd be jealous. ;)

What does Shad plan to do with it?

Courtney March 10, 2009 at 8:05 PM  

I'm the same way with white cheddar popcorn. I finished an entire bag (from Sam's!!) by myself. I'm so ashamed. ;)

Tina in CT March 10, 2009 at 8:10 PM  

Is the alpaca a "pet"? Guess when you're learning how to groom an alpaca, you need to learn shearing, carding, spinning and knitting too. Alpaca yarn is fantastic.

I can't believe they have stopped plowing out in Grab-your-lasso.

Guess you'll be hoarding boxes again this spring for the move. You must be so sick of packing and unpacking. Maybe the duplex units will be large and roomy.

You need to let your blog readers know where we can go to read what you're writing in your consulting work.

18 degrees - that's cold for this time of year IMO.

Bethany March 10, 2009 at 8:26 PM  

I'll pray for your dad. It's no fun worrying about a parent's health. On lighter notes, A.J. would fight you over that bag of Harvest Cheddar Sun Chips. :) And, my kids are skin and bone, too, so we also only buy pants that are adjustable. They did not get their thinness from me, either. And, finally, have tons of fun with your alpaca! Maybe the kids will get a kick out of it.

mrsbroccoliguy March 11, 2009 at 11:21 AM  

An alpaca? Really? My kid would love you - she's forever asking for a goat or a donkey or let's see, the last thing was a camel. Yep, she'd love the alpaca. Me? Not so much. The cats and dogs are already too much work for me!

jessy March 11, 2009 at 9:10 PM  

Oh, I've missed you Tami!
A family of six in a duplex? Yikes! But we were considering a trailer a few short weeks ago. That, or a shelter. I suppose there's no chance of a run down old church building coming available? You just never know...

pam,  March 12, 2009 at 6:40 AM  

i forgot all about your alpaca back here, but i do remember your kids talking about it. as far as not spring until june i'm telling you , you need to watch seven brides for seven brothers, the weather on that show is just like yours.as far as the weather back here in kansas, right now we are coming out of a cold snap, but the extended forcast is the 50's and lower 60's for the next ten days.sorry if that bums you out.you were always more of a cold weather person though anyway.so it sounds like your in the perfect state.miss having you guys around,but it sounds like you are doing ok.

Mike & Tara March 12, 2009 at 11:50 AM  

Wow - an alpaca - could that be your new job - raising alpacas? A lady I met here raises then and said they bring in a fair bit when they sell the fur. Tami the Alpaca Herder - I hope you post pictures!! :o) Prayers for your Dad for a speedy recovery and to your family for a new home.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP