Powered by Blogger.

vacation, what vacation?

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Shad and the kids walked in the door and 10 minutes later my beautifully clean house was a trash pit!

They're baaaaaaaack!
Shad and the kids arrived late yesterday afternoon after a long day of driving.
And after a long day of cleaning
(because I had to put off for as long as I could, ya know) my house was stunning. It was, perhaps, the cleanest its been in the 10 years we've had kids.
There were no dishes in the sink...
The laundry baskets were empty...
The bathroom floor was freshly mopped...
The living room was dusted and vacuumed...
The trash cans were empty....
And a hazelnut candle was burning in the kitchen.
Aaaaaahhhh...sounds Utopian, no?
I thought so. Too bad I didn't get to enjoy it!
Shad and the kids walked in the door and 10 minutes later my beautifully clean house was a trash pit!
TEN MINUTES!
By the time they were done I had a sink full of dishes...
Full dirty clothes hampers...
Someone had overflowed the toilet and it had run all over the floor...
All the trash from the van was dumped it in my kitchen can...
And someone had the nerve to walk across my freshly vacuumed floor in their muddy sneakers!
AUGH!
You would be proud of me. I didn't blow a gasket.
I walked out the door.
I don't think I said a word as I grabbed my keys, walked out to the the mom-mobile, which had just finished that 700 mile trek, and headed for Wally World. I spent the better part of an hour buying the fixings for a dinner, blowing off steam and window-shopping.
By the time I got home everyone had settled in for the night.
I fixed a quick dinner and sent everyone to bed.
There is one great thing about having the kids home, besides the whole 'I missed em' thing.
They're old enough to do housework.
Guess what they're doing this morning?
They're vacuuming, doing laundry, taking out the trash and mopping the floors.
'But, Mom,' Alek tried arguing. 'We're on vacation.'
'Vacation,' I asked. 'What vacation?'

7 salty messages:

Diana March 19, 2009 at 10:18 PM  

Isn't that the most frustrating thing EVER? Yup. My kids do the housework, too. Maybe someday they'll figure out that it's easier to clean up after themselves than it is to have to do the same "jobs" every single day because they leave messes everywhere they go. In fact, I rarely ever even clean anything when they're not here.

Way to not blow a gasket, though :-)

Katie March 20, 2009 at 7:54 AM  

Oh, how I look forward to the day I can make my kids do more housework (their nifty ability to match socks doesn't get me all that far...).

I can totally sympathize. My thing is always getting everything picked up and put away in the evening and having the house look like it exploded by the time I'm out of the shower.

Good luck reclaiming your utopia!

PIPO March 20, 2009 at 12:11 PM  

I'm just now getting used to the kid mess situation. I knew it was coming but my house is turning into something I no longer recognize. Not dirty...just MESSY. As they days go by, my level of caring about it goes down. That's a miracel for this uber neat-freak.

Enjoy!

mrsbroccoliguy March 20, 2009 at 1:40 PM  

Oh man oh man I would have lost it too. How great that they still have some vacation time left to put it back to rights! :-)

btw... tried to leave a comment on another post and it timed out or something... ?

Stephanie March 20, 2009 at 4:55 PM  

I LOVE how you handled it :)

Liza March 21, 2009 at 4:16 AM  

I've gotten so used to messy situations, my kids are old enough now to do house works, but they have to be reminded constantly. :D

I am Harriet March 21, 2009 at 10:05 AM  

Hi Tami.
Today I'm leaving 100 comments.
Wish me luck!
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP