Powered by Blogger.

heartbreak for a season

Friday, April 3, 2009

It wasn't until I saw her walking toward the mom-mobile this afternoon after school that I realized how much she was hurting.

M y sweet Anya has experienced her first broken heart.
Her best friend, who is a boy, is moving.
She has known for awhile Gabe would be leaving. She even talked this week a bit about it, but it wasn't until I saw her walking toward the mom-mobile this afternoon after school that I realized just how much she was hurting.
She climbed into the van, dumped her backpack into her seat, crawled into my lap and began to weep.
I feel so bad for her.
The whole friendship thing has been a bit hard on Anya this year. Moving from Kansas to Wyoming, required not only saying goodbye to so many long-time friends, but she also had to get established with new friends.
And when you're an 8-year-old girl, friendship is EVERYTHING.
Thankfully Anya is outgoing, sweet and as true a friend as you'll find. She has several girlfriends she enjoys playing with...but this boy was special (thankfully, not in that kind of way).

He played with her on the playground.

They hung out during lunch.

They worked together on class projects.
He was her bud.
And now he's gone...to Oregon, I think.
I sat there for awhile, holding Anya crammed in between me and the steering wheel, trying to console her. Rocking her and telling her it would be alright.
But I'm afraid there's only so much a mom can do.
I did suggest we sign her up for an email account (with my supervision). Then on Monday she can give the address to her teacher and see if she can pass it on to Gabe's mom. That way they can keep in touch.
It helped a bit.
That an a pair of purple pom-poms from the dollar store. ;>)

14 salty messages:

Bethany April 3, 2009 at 5:51 PM  

Pom-poms are the best. They are a wonder drug for little girls! I hope they can keep in touch for a while, and that her little heart can heal.

Michelle April 3, 2009 at 6:07 PM  

my best friend (who i considered to be my sister) suddenly & without warning rejected me 14 months ago. she's the one i wrote about in my first blog entries, and who you'll read much more about after the surgery series is done, among other things.

and it hurt like nothing i'd felt up to then.

it's different with moving because you have great memories that aren't tainted by knowing that ultimately they mean nothing... but Anya's still feeling that void that i felt. i will most definitely be praying that God brings her peace, comfort, and some great friends to step in and fill that gap to the extent possible.

and i'll be praying for you as her mother, that you'll not only be a rock for her right now, but that God will show you ways to help her through & keep in touch with her best friend.

if there's anything i can do, please let me know - i'm just an email away! :-)

- michelle

PIPO April 3, 2009 at 9:52 PM  

So sorry for your little one. Nothing so awful as a broken heart at that tender age.

Tanya April 3, 2009 at 10:12 PM  

Poor thing! It's so hard to loose a frieind at that age. The good thing is that at that age you tend to bounce back rather quickly as well. Poor baby tho, I feel for her.

Annie April 3, 2009 at 10:37 PM  

My gosh...I feel like crying myself.

Mrs. Alspaugh April 4, 2009 at 12:04 AM  

AWWW I hope she gets to Email him. I don't know what I will do if my 8 year old girl goes through that.

jessy April 4, 2009 at 12:14 AM  

Aww, poor baby. Yes, I can see where purple pom-poms would go a long way to sooth a wounded, eight year old soul. Similar to what a pair of purple pumps would do for me.

SLColman April 4, 2009 at 1:42 AM  

Awww losing friends is very hard :(

pam,  April 4, 2009 at 7:30 AM  

tami you know that i know anya very well ,having taken care of her for a few years, and when i read that it just broke my heart,because she is such a sweet little thing.i know her well enough to know that for her to crawl up on your lap like that and cry in front of her siblings she had to be heartbroken.but just remember that the hurt doesn't last and this to shall pass until the next heartbreak. just wait until she becomes a teenager. tell everyone hi from us and when shad came back with the kids did he get the alpaca? you said he was going to so just wondering.

The Holmes Crew April 4, 2009 at 3:46 PM  

Tami,
I just stumbled upon your blog and I just love it - Especially the Title and description! Our two little boys were adopted from Irkutsk Russia in '04 & '09. Bio siblings raised half a world apart until two months ago! I can't wait to read some more of your blog!

Elaine April 4, 2009 at 4:44 PM  

Email has been wonderful for my oldest two since we moved. It's not the same as seeing their friends on a regular basis, but at least they get to keep in touch.

Nataliya April 4, 2009 at 10:01 PM  

Oh, poor thing, I feel so bad for Anya...

Scott McQueen April 8, 2009 at 2:19 AM  

Made me cry good! I love your blog! Take care and God Bless!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP