Powered by Blogger.

our monday afternoon adventure

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I was having flashbacks this afternoon as I sped down I-25 toward the Mile High City.

First things first...
I know you all LOVE to see the cuteness that are my kids, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to disappoint...
I managed to get through all of Easter without taking a single photo!
How horrible is THAT?!
We were late leaving for church because everyone knows you can't start getting ready for church until 30 minutes before you're supposed to leave...even when church starts 30 minutes LATER than normal... so I said we would wait until we got home, but then I remember I still needed to pick up some rolls and butter for dinner, because what Easter dinner would be complete without rolls and butter so we ran by the grocery story after church to pick them up but then spent another 45 minutes in Wally World getting windshield wipers, four gallons of milk, a couple of pairs of shoes for the girls to go with the new dresses they wore that morning to church and some clearance Easter candy, because you know THE BUNNY didn't bring us enough...so by the time we got home I had completely forgot it was a special day and had the kids take the clothes off before they got them all dirty.
Whew. (Like that runon sentence? Yea. Me too. I haven't written one that bad since middle school! :)
Oh well, I'll just do what I did last year - have them wear the same stuff to church next Sunday and take a pic then. Besides, by then I should have had the time to actually go out and get the boys new Sunday shirts.
Sigh.
Now...
I don't know if any of you pay attention to that little Twitter thingy in the upper lefthand corner or not...but I if you would have, you would have been let in on a little secret.
The kids and I went on an adventure yesterday.
Since Shad is on his way back to the great state of Kansas to wrap up some alpaca stuff, the kids (who had one day left from Easter break) and I decided we needed to go on a little trip of our own.
So yesterday morning we left for Denver.
Its been a long time since I've been to Denver. About 20 years to be exact.
I actually lived in Denver for a year, during my first year in college. I liked living there...I loved my school...but I forgot just how INCREDIBLY INSANE all the drivers are.
IN. SANE.
A side note here..
I told you I spent my first year in college living in Denver...
Do you know the first time I drove in Denver?
On my way TO college!!!!
My dad tends to have a sink or swim philosophy...and this time was no different.
He pulled my 1979 Ford Fairmont over on I-25...got out and handed me the keys.
I. about. died.
I guess I had to learn, one way or another, b
ut I was a nervous wreck until I pulled into that parking lot.
Anyway...
I was having flashbacks as I sped down I-25 toward the Mile High City.
I was going five over the speed limit and I kid you not cars where whizzing by me like I was sitting still.
The kids thought it was hilarious.
Ha. Yea.
Thankfully our destination is REALLY easy to get to. I even remembered how to get there from college days. Too bad I didn't remember the three lane road turns into a two lane about halfway down Colfax.
I came thiiiiiiiis close to taking out some buy in a Beemer.
Whew.
The kids loved my little surprise. A trip to Casa Bonita.
Now, for those of you who have never been to Denver and never had a Casa Bonita exerience, let me just start by saying, there is nothing like it in the world.
When you walk in the doors of the restaurant (which takes up most of a former strip mall) you walk into a whole other world. You are immediately transported into a small Mexican village complete with homes, courtyards, strolling mariachi bands and an awesome waterfall.
It. is. so. cool.
The kids had a blast. They loved watching the comedy acts, the juggling ape, the fire eater and of course the cliff divers.
The food was good. I don't think I've eaten that much in a very long time. And Alek packed some serious food away. He must be getting ready to hit a growth spurt.
We spent a couple of hours eating, exploring and playing before packing back up into the mom-mobile and heading north towards home.
So here's the deal...since I jipped ya on the Easter pics, I'm going to give you a little treat. Here are some pictures from our adventure. Please ignore the quality of the photos...and just enjoy the subjects. I haven't quite figured out how to take pictures in really dark places with my camera and have them turn out very well.
Its a major frustration.
You'll even see a picture of me in there.
I KNOW! I told you it was a treat today. I NEVER include pictures of myself.
And YES there are pictures in the car, but NO I wasn't driving at the time. (Alek took the scenery ones) I only take pictures at stoplights...unless its unavoidable - like taking pictures of crazy people in Grab-Your-Lasso who ride their bikes to school in a foot of snow.

Then, I'll take a picture while driving.
Enjoy! :)




19 salty messages:

Katie April 14, 2009 at 11:17 AM  

Have you ever gone west of Denver? Believe it or not, that is just the starting point for the crazy drivers. I went to college in Utah and...WOW. But, yeah, every time we drove out I knew that I had to be on my guard as soon as I hit Denver.

What a cool sounding place to eat! How fun that you got to take your kids there.

Annie April 14, 2009 at 12:34 PM  

I really enjoyed that photo show - and it surprised even me! The landscape pictures almost made me feel homesick! I grew up in Boulder. Denver was a rare treat for us. I LOVED the historical museum and the dioramas. If I went there now and they didn't have the dioramas, I'd be heartsick.

Looks like a very cool restaurant!

Hannah April 14, 2009 at 1:03 PM  

i learned to drive when we were living in inner-city chicago. i drove around the driver's ed parking lot a couple times and my dad decided that was enough experience to take me out on the expressway.

yes. the expressway in the middle of chicago.

i feel your trauma.

Mike & Tara April 14, 2009 at 2:04 PM  

Let us know the next time you come this way!! We would have loved to meet you there. Believe it or not - we've not yet taken Nicholas to Casa Bonita...but we keep talking about doing it! :o)

As far as the drivers - this ain't nothing - I grew up in DC and let me tell you the drivers here are slow little old ladies compared to driving on 495 in rush hour! :o) I learned to drive in the heart of downtown DC in a snow storm - I kid you not! My knuckles are still white from that day of gripping the wheel!

Missy April 14, 2009 at 4:51 PM  

I have my own experiences driving in cities and I still HATE it!! I am a country road kind of girl. Hey, just wanted to let you know that I had to make my blog private for a while. Not adoption related...just life. I have explained it on the blog...and I invited you using the email you gave me. I hope it's the right one.

1stopmom April 14, 2009 at 5:45 PM  

Wow, the trip sounds really fun. I didn't take any pictures either on Easter.

Anne April 14, 2009 at 7:57 PM  

I m just like you with taking photos. I always miss the good ones :).

Tina in CT April 14, 2009 at 10:38 PM  

I wonder if my daughter and SIL have taken the girls there when they are visiting her in-laws? Hopefully you all can meet up this summer.

pam,  April 15, 2009 at 7:10 AM  

just wanted you to know that i caught your secret on twitter and wondered if you realized it.

Rachael April 15, 2009 at 7:28 AM  

Um...you are counting a picture of your ARM as including a picture of yourself? I think that's cheating. lol

Who knew a restaurant could be a whole touristy experience. Sounds great!

Tami April 15, 2009 at 7:39 AM  

I was wondering when someone would catch that! :)

SLColman April 15, 2009 at 1:28 PM  

Casa is so much fun!! I had been wondering what the adventure was from Twitter!

BTW you have an award waiting for you over on http://fromhuskiestohusbands.today.com if you are interested :)

Troy and Rachel April 15, 2009 at 2:41 PM  

That place sounds awesome!! Glad you enjoyed your trip...and made it there and back in one piece. You know, my dad had the same attitude with driving. He just stuck me in the car and said go!! It worked.

jessy April 15, 2009 at 5:21 PM  

Looks like fun. Kind of reminded me of the Mexican restaurant/attraction at Epcot. I've never noticed before, but is Anya small for her age?

Tami April 15, 2009 at 5:28 PM  

Yes, she is. The doctors say, to the best of their knowledge, its a growth delay...but since moving to Grab-Your-Lasso we haven't been able to do the follow-up work on it to make sure. Its part of what makes me so sick about our current situation...that and the fact that Maddie can't get the surgery she needs to implant her hearing aid...and Alek can't get some much needed follow-up medical care...and Nick hasn't been to a doctor in over a year. (Except for our ER visit). Sick, I tell ya.

One Creative Queen April 15, 2009 at 10:35 PM  

Hey - Great blog! I just wanted to say hi from a Denverite. :) Done the Casa Bonita thing about a gazillion times...thankfully, I've talked my kids into other venues for birthday parties. There is only so many times you love it, ya know? lol

Old DAN AND Little ANN April 16, 2009 at 2:09 AM  

What a cool restaurant! Also you live in a beautiful place. I enjoyed the scenery shots so much. However, I must remind you that you need to get your windshield fixed/replaced soon. It isn't safe you know?! The kids looked like they totally ate up the special time with mom and each other. You can see it on their faces. Good for you for making a memory!

pam,  April 16, 2009 at 6:35 AM  

you said your current situation,does that mean that he is looking for another clinic to work at or that your still looking for a job that maybe has better insurance.i tell you if you can find a job at all these days you are doing something and healthcare is so important especially when you have kids.

Christine April 16, 2009 at 9:36 AM  

Enjoyed the photos. I enjoy reading about your family's every dya life too.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP