Powered by Blogger.

change in plans

Friday, May 29, 2009

I've always wanted to go canoeing...haven't been fishing in ages and am anxious to relive my archery days at Bible Camp in the early 80s.

Alek has another one of his awesome field trips tomorrow.
Last fall he to
Vedauwoo...
This winter he went
skiing...
Tomorrow his class gets to go fishing, canoeing and archering (?)...sorry, I had to finish the 'ing' endings...just to keep the flow. They're going to go shoot some arrows.
He is giddy with excitement. He's been talking about nothing else over the last few days. Driving everyone nuts with all of his questions and assumptions about the trip.
The plan was Shad would go with him. It sounded like a great father/son day...fishing, canoeing and shooting arrows at straw bales.
That WAS the plan. Until today.
Today wasn't a good day on the packing front. It took us all day to track down the truck and the car trailer...then Alek had a baseball game (which they won and he did awesome, BTW)...so by the time we got home around 8 p.m., there wasn't much daylight left to get any real loading done.
Soooo.....
I'm going instead.
Alek is disappointed...and I don't blame him. It would be a much cooler thing to do with Dad.
Shad is INCREDIBLY disappointed...he's been looking forward to it for quite awhile...and feels like he's letting Alek down. But what choice do we have? He's the big lifting guy...he'll get twice the amount done than I ever could.
Me? I am thrilled! I've always wanted to go canoeing...haven't been fishing in ages and am anxious to relive my archery days at Bible Camp in the early 80s.
And besides...I'm getting out a yucky day of packing. Woohoooooo!!!!
The only thing I'm worried about is embarrassing the daylights out of Alek. He's a good kid who would never say a thing, but think about it...a fifth grade boy, hanging out with his late-30s, overweight mom who is trying to do all kinds of really cool things and looking like an absolute fool in the process.
Sigh.
Oh, well. I'm sure I won't be the only nerdy mom there.
Besides, did I mention I'm getting out of packing?! :)

6 salty messages:

Ashley May 29, 2009 at 11:44 AM  

Girlfriend, yes you are getting out of packing and that is something I hate doing. I think it will be a fun mother/son day. I love canoeing and you won't be a nerdy mom. You are a fun mom that will be making people laugh from your jokes. :)

P.S. You were in my dream 2 nights ago. We were at your house in Kansas and I loved it there! It's funny the dreams I am having while here in Ukraine. I think of so many people from the adoption world and now I am starting to have dreams of them...YOU! :)

SLColman May 29, 2009 at 1:23 PM  

I hope you two have an amazing time :) It really sounds like fun!
Bonus on getting out of packing!!

Laura May 29, 2009 at 4:22 PM  

I am sure he will love having you along. Enjoy your time together, as they get older those times get fewer and fewer.

Rachael May 29, 2009 at 7:29 PM  

I'm sure you will have a fabulous time and so will Alec! Poor Shad definitely got the short end of the stick.

Troy and Rachel May 29, 2009 at 9:09 PM  

He may act embarrassed but you know what - he'll remember that you jumped right in when he's older and he'll appreciate it even more then!! I would go too - it sounds like a blast - I totally can't wait to embarrass my son as those kinds of things!! Have fun!

Tina in CT May 29, 2009 at 11:22 PM  

Glad the day was so much fun. Sure a lot better than packing. I'm sure tomorrow will be a very long, heavy packing day. Good luck with it and the move on Sunday. Have a safe trip. Since Shad drive the rental moving truck and you are following with the kids in the Mom Mobile, do you hitch his car to the moving truck?

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP