Powered by Blogger.

happy birthday alek!

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Its been 11 years since I had the dream.

Eleven years since my little guy came into this world.
Where did the time go?
Have we truly been his parents for almost 10 years?
I swear it was just yesterday Shad and I met a scrawny little boy named Bogdan who couldn't walk at 14 months old and ate absolutely everything in sight.
He used to pull his arms in close to him, like a turtle, when he was overwhelmed.
He rocked himself to sleep every night and refused to look in our eyes.
He pulled away from hugs and couldn't tell when he was in pain.
Now our little guy is not so little anymore.
He's tall and muscular.
He's friendly and funny.
He doesn't get overwhelmed very often.
He falls asleep quickly and quietly now, gives us big hugs freely and climbs in our laps any chance he can get.
(Of course, now he's getting too big to do that! - or maybe it's us that are getting too big! ;)

He's adventurous...he lives for flying in any plane he can find, loves football, basketball, baseball and any other sport where a ball is required. He loves to swim, ride his bike, play tag and skateboard.
He's a math whiz...acing all of his multiplication tests on the first try...not even blinking at fractions.
He's kind, compassionate, loyal and brave.
He's handsome, charming, quiet and humble.
We waited 10 excruciatingly long years for this guy to join us so we could become a family.
He was so worth the wait!
On this day I'm also remembering someone else.
Alek's biological mom.
Her name is Lubov. I don't know much more than that. I know she's younger than me...and she must have been beautiful. After all, look at her boy.
The only things I truly know about her, I glean from Alek's face.
I imagine she has the same amazing blue eyes that twinkle with mischief.
She may have the same soft brown hair with a crazy cowlick in the front...and she may possess the same ready, easy-going smile that lights up a room.
I can only imagine what she's feeling today - wondering what happened to the child she gave birth to eleven years ago. Asking herself, 'what if...'
So in honor of Alek's birthday, I would like to ask you to give his bio mom a very special gift...your prayers.
Please pray she'll find peace. I've been praying for it for a long time. I can't imagine what it must have been like to leave her child behind.
Only God can give her that peace.
I trust He already has.
Happy Birthday Alek!

19 salty messages:

Michelle May 7, 2009 at 4:56 PM  

praying for his birth mom... thanks for reminding us about her.

praying for your boy & the rest of your family as well!

- michelle

Pink May 7, 2009 at 7:21 PM  

Tami,

You have NO idea what your post did for me today! My own daughter, (that I put up for adoptions), would have been 22 on Tuesday. It was so nice to see that adoptive families think of the bio parent! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

mrsbroccoliguy May 7, 2009 at 7:55 PM  

Happy Birthday Alek! He really is a handsome kid. You are a very blessed Mama! Praying for his birth mom, that she knows deep in her heart that Alek is safe, healthy and loved.

Mommy Kennedy May 7, 2009 at 10:22 PM  

That is absolutely beautiful! So happy I stopped by! Happy birthday to your son. Now I have to go wipe away my tears because that was so touching!

Melissa May 8, 2009 at 6:04 AM  

Happy Birthday indeed, he shares a birthday with my sister.

Elaine May 8, 2009 at 7:42 AM  

Happy Birthday Alek! Also praying for his birthmom.

Laura May 8, 2009 at 2:44 PM  

What a beautiful post. I am a birthmother to a wonderful daughter with whom I reunited with after 27 years apart. It is so nice that you think of Alek's birthmother.

Happy Birthday to Alex.

Annie May 8, 2009 at 8:41 PM  

I'll mention "Bogdan's" birthmom in my prayers tonight when I pray for my children's moms. Bogdan means gift from God - he certainly is a gift. What a handsome boy. I think that if God had the goodness to salve your heart with the dream of him, he will salve his mother's heart with the knowledge that he is well....

Kristie May 9, 2009 at 12:10 AM  

WOw! Beautiful post. Beautiful child. So nice that you think of the birth mom. I could not imagine giving my child up. So heart wrenching. My best friend did when we were in college, still haunts and affects her to this day.

Tammy May 9, 2009 at 1:28 AM  

Wow. Great post! You waited 10 years?! Gotta read your story from the beginning. Your little guy really IS a "gift from God" as his Russian name says. Happy for you all. His birthmom's name-- "Love"-- may she know God's love for her.

katherine May 9, 2009 at 3:22 AM  

i need to wipe first my ears before typing here..huh..huh...so touching. Well, alek is for you and not for his mom bec God knows that you will be a good mother to alek. You also have good heart for alek's mom. If Alek's mom will read your post, i bet, she will be happy to know that her son is very much healthy and handsome. Happy birthday to your son.

Liza May 9, 2009 at 6:40 AM  

Happy Birthday to Alek and Happy Mother's Day to you. :)

Happy Mother's Day!

Mommy's Little Corner, A Simple Life and Moms... Check Nyo

jessy May 9, 2009 at 9:37 PM  

Happy Birthday Alek! My but he is a handsome young man! Any chance you and Shad believe in arranged marriages?

john May 10, 2009 at 5:14 PM  

Happy Birthday alek. It is clear you have done a great job. these kids come into our homes so frightened and then love comes into their lives and they start to trust and overcome all their fears. What a handsome young man

Call Center Gal May 10, 2009 at 10:05 PM  

Hey Alek,

It is never too late to greet you Happy Birthday and wishing for more blessings to come your way. :)

Tami,

You made me appreciate my Mom more! :) I admire people who can take good care of others and treat it like their own. :) You are a blessing to Alek! :)

And I hope that the birthmom will find her peace. :)

Happy Mothers Day to You Tami! :)

pam,  May 11, 2009 at 6:57 AM  

commenting on your twitter post,i thought that you said that you pulled the kids out of the ball programs there to put them in the ones back in kansas or am i wrong?

Kim May 11, 2009 at 8:09 AM  

What a beautiful post Tami. I remember my sons having some of those same "issues" when we first met them. Love works wonders.

Tami May 11, 2009 at 9:12 AM  

Pam...I did pull the little kids out, but left Alek in because 1) he loves it and had already started practice and 2) because I'm not sure I can get him signed up there. I've got the other three signed up...yes, Maddie will be playing t-ball this year, but I can't track anyone down for Alek's age group. *sigh* back to the same old games.

Stacie's Madness May 11, 2009 at 10:11 AM  

beautiful post, happy birthday Alek

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP