Powered by Blogger.

on this side of things

Saturday, May 2, 2009

I'm choosing to believe the reason he brought us out here was to not only have some time with our families, but to find out what needs to be done to help Maddie.

L
ife has gotten so much clearer since I last posted.
I don't know if it was the catharsis of getting out all of those pent up emotions and confusion, if your comments helped put everything in perspective (thank you by the way) or if time just has a way of bringing everything into focus, but I can honestly say I'm feeling a lot better about where we're at in this decision.
Sure, there are still a lot of unanswered questions, but my consolation lies in the fact that none of this is a surprise to God. Not our decision to move to Wyoming a year ago...or our decision to move back next month. Just as He wasn't surprised by our decision to adopt Maddie. He knew all of it would happen before the foundations of the earth...and His plan will be accomplished in the end.
I can rest in that.
I'm choosing to believe the reason he brought us out here was not only to have some time with our families, but to find out what needs to be done to help Maddie. To give us a standard to shoot for...to not only help Maddie, but other children in the Emerald City and possibly Kansas. (BTW - Don't you just love the new nickname for our old town. I felt especially inspired. ;>)
I'm doing some preliminary research to find out what's available in the Sunflower State and I have to say not much. But that doesn't mean I can't do all I can to make sure other parents have these opportunities.
Before we brought Anya and Nick home in 2002, Iowa (where we were living at the time) had a law that REQUIRED parents to readopt their foreign born children.
It made me ill.
To think after all of the hard work, money and time we went through to bring our children home and that the state wouldn't recognize our kids as our kids - how could they?!
So I got to work.
I called my representatives and finally found one of them that would give me a call back. He worked with me to write legislation that would not only not require the readoption - but would automatically give us birth certificates, with just a small fee and one paper to fill out.
And we made it retroactive. It passed unanimously in both houses and was immediately signed by the governor.
I plan on taking that same approach with this issue. SURELY there are some resources that we can find that can be used to help these kids. If nothing else, we can start up some advocacy groups to help other parents find their way through the IEP stuff. I don't know where all of this is going, but I am hoping to use this experience to help other families.
At least I hope that's what God has in mind! :)

10 salty messages:

Sheryl May 2, 2009 at 5:52 PM  

Well Alright then. That's awesome.

Elaine May 2, 2009 at 6:07 PM  

I'm behind in my blog reading, so just read the last post as well as this one (getting beehives ready can take some time!). Anyway, I'm glad you are feeling better about the move today. I understand your concerns for Maddie, and I wish I had some really sage, insightful thing to say about all that, but I don't. All I can say is that I'm jealous that you get to go home. See? I'm very selfish that way. ;) Here you are making this difficult, agonizing decision, and all I can think is, "Lucky!" (said in my mind by Napoleon Dynamite).

Audrey May 2, 2009 at 6:33 PM  

Awesome attitude Tami. I have been feeling like quite the 'trailblazer' myself lately. I'll be very happy if we can complete this adoption without anymore "you guys are the first family to do this" stuff. LOL

I am sure that you will fight like crazy for whatever Maddie needs and the families that follow will be so much better off because of it.

High Five!

yeokeehui@gmail.com May 2, 2009 at 6:59 PM  

We do all we can to improve our lives. And we hold on to our beliefs. God willing, everything will follow through.

Missy May 2, 2009 at 8:56 PM  

I am sorry that I haven't commented lately. I have been wrapped up in my own stuff. I am very happy to see that God has given peace about the move back. I know moving always sucks, but at least you will know people this time. :)

Annie May 2, 2009 at 9:22 PM  

I am relieved you are feeling better. I was fretting about you. It won't be easy, but I know it will be OK.

ReYaPoT May 3, 2009 at 2:35 AM  

hi Tami, just want to thank you for making it to my top 10 ec droppers for april.. thanks so much for your drops.. keep em coming... see u! happy blogging!!!


reyapot

reyapot2 May 3, 2009 at 2:45 AM  

hi tami, thanks for making it to my top 10 ec droppers for april.. thanks very much for all your drops... keep them coming... see u!

reyapot
www.reyapot.com
www.cahloy.com

mrsbroccoliguy May 4, 2009 at 8:48 AM  

Hooray for a brighter outlook! It really does help to get everything out on "paper" sometimes. And I know that God is giving you the peace you need right now too.

And wow am I am impressed that you were able to get a whole new law passed! You rock. And have definitely proven that you know how to step up and fight! Maddie is one lucky girl to have you fighting on her behalf.

Mike & Tara May 4, 2009 at 8:57 AM  

Hey Tami - I'm sorry you've been going thru so many agonizing decisions (I'm behind on my blog reading). I'm sending you prayers and strength - go get 'em girl!! You can do anything you put your mind too! Kansas won't know what hit them! I can't wait to read about the new help they will find for Maddie!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP