Powered by Blogger.

unpacking, interviewing and writing letters

Thursday, June 18, 2009

I am seriously considering sending the following letter...'Dear really mean cell phone people...LET MY PEOPLE GO!'

What do you know? I'm updating the blog.
Has that really bad place frozen over?
Maybe so. I'm sure you were starting to wonder if the day would ever come.
No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. Despite what people think about the Sunflower State, it really is not on the precipice of civilization. It's just that there hasn't been much going on around here that is blog worthy.

I know I sound like a broken record, but all I've been doing is unpacking, laundry and baseball.
What? You think I should be done by now?
Well, you'd be wrong!
Four kids on summer break have a way of doing that to to you.
That and a well-intentioned but totally decoratively challenged husband.
Needless to say, I've got my work cut out for me.
I spent yesterday working on our master bedroom, trying to get it put in some reasonable order, but I failed...again. Everything that hasn't gone in another room, some how ended up in our room. So there's TONS of stuff to go through.
I DID manage to get five loads of laundry done...which is GREAT except there are two to three times that much left. I'm rewashing everything that wasn't in a dresser or closet - blankets, sheets, clothes. All because I can't remember if they were clean or dirty.
AUGH.
I'm losing my mind. ;)
I do have a bit of news...
I'VE FOUND A JOB! :)
Just a few weeks before we moved, a job opened up at my old newspaper. I called...they interviewed me over the phone, I did a formal interview the following Wednesday (two days after we moved) and THEY OFFERED ME THE JOB!
So, let's see...
Wyoming...9 months...1 interview...ZERO jobs.
Kansas...two days...1 interview...1 JOB! :)
I don't know about you, but I'm thinking this is a GOD THING. ;)
Do you realize we have not only moved back into our old house, but Shad is back in his old job, same salary, more vacation time and better benefits...and now I am back at my old job, same salary, same vacation time and good benefits.
We will have HEALTH INSURANCE, people. Health insurance.
And in a real yucky economy to boot!
What are the odds? Seriously?
See? Its a GOD THING.
Now I just have to find a babysitter.
Its a lot tougher than it sounds. I'm pretty sure our old babysitter is full up...besides, Nick, Anya and Alek are a little old to be doing to a daycare. A better scenario for us is to have an in-home babysitter...especially during the summer. But all of the teenagers I've talked to already have jobs or extensive plans for the summer.
So. If you know of someone in the Emerald City who needs a summer job...let me know. I'm desperate. They'd really like me to start next Monday, but I've already warned them I may not be able to start for a few more weeks.
In the meantime, I'm seriously considering sending the following letter.

Dear really mean cell phone people...

LET MY PEOPLE GO!
When we moved to Grab-Your-Lasso last summer, our cell phone company, AT&T, graciously let us out of our contract...after all, we couldn't use our phones at all. What was the use in paying for a service we couldn't use?
All they requested was that we prove our permanent change of address...and they said, 'thank you for your patronage...call us if we can be assistance again.'
We said 'thanks'..and then promptly signed up with you - V.
Big mistake.
Now, we're back in the Emerald City, and we planned on you graciously following AT&T's lead.
We were wrong.
Your customer service people say, 'Nothing doin'.
Shad has spent countless hours on the phone with your people, requesting being let out of the contract BECAUSE WE CAN'T GET SERVICE HERE.
And you've denied us.
I don't think you understand...WE DON'T HAVE SERVICE!
We can't USE the phones! One second it says V...the next 'No Service'...the next 'Extended Network'...and then it starts cycling again.
And the best part?
Our phones beep ALL. DAY. LONG. Every time the network changes our smart phones, which aren't so smart, beep.
Thanks for that. We really appreciate you selling us phones that there is no
way of turning off. I guess we could remove the batteries, but in my move-induced, muddled state of mind, I didn't think of it until now.

Doesn't matter anyway...we've put the phones in the drawer and let the batteries die...just to save our sanity.
Still, your customer service representatives don't show compassion. They say as long as the phone says Verizon at all, we have 'service' and can't be let out of the contract.
Here's another tidbit for you...If you would just visit your own website and
plug in our new zip code, your OWN SITE tells us we can't get service here.
And STILL you won't let us out of the contract.
So...this note is to inform you that we aren't going to take this lying down.
We are going to call you every day...to complain.

EVERY. DAY.
We will register all of our complaints to your poor call center representatives, EVERY. SINGLE. DAY...until you let us go.
Sigh.
Oh, and PLEASE tell your representatives to stop trying to return our calls on our cell phones, because... WE CAN'T GET SERVICE HERE.
Thank you.

Sincerely,

14 salty messages:

Tina in CT June 18, 2009 at 10:46 AM  

Congrats on the new job at your former employer and everything else positive that has happened jobwise!

As for the V cell phone: Ask for the manager. If that doesn't work, ask for his/her manager. Call the local consumer action person if there is one at the local TV station. I believe one of the magazines that I subscribe to has a column for consumer problems. It is either Good Housekeeping, Ladies Home Journal or Better Homes & Garden. Knowing you from your blog, you are determined and you will win but it's a shame you have so much aggravation along the way.

Good luck with a babysitter. Have you asked your friends, neighbors and church members for kids, relatives or suggestions? How about trying the local high school?

You were meant to be in the Sunflower State!

Katie June 18, 2009 at 12:27 PM  

Congrats on the job and all the other good stuff going on! I'm glad that everything is working out so well.

Oh, and I'm sure not going to give you a hard time about the fact you are still unpacking. We've lived in our house for 5 1/2 years, and I know I still have a couple of boxes that never got completely emptied!

Michelle June 18, 2009 at 12:46 PM  

YAAAAAAAY on the job! woohoo! congratulations! :-)

that stinks about the cell phones. we've had issues with contracts before, but thankfully my parents dealt with that so all i had to do was listen to them yell. :-P

praying you'll find a babysitter soon!

- michelle

Courtney June 18, 2009 at 12:55 PM  

Ugh. We just went through something similar with...go figure...AT&T. LOL And we've had V on our phones for several years now with nary a problem--we actually went with them because they had the most comprehensive nationwide coverage and we drive a lot. Apparently we shouldn't come visit you. ;)

Rachael June 18, 2009 at 1:52 PM  

I seem to remember when we moved to our current city from Grand Rapids, we had Verizon and I couldn't get service in my house -- I had to go outside. They let us out of our contract. That was a long time ago, but maybe you just haven't talked to right person yet. Keep calling. Send letters. Don't let them annoy you into submission.

Elaine June 18, 2009 at 2:45 PM  

Congratulations on the job!!!!!! While your motives for moving were certainly the best, God seems to be telling you the Emerald City is where you belong, no? When you call the cell phone folks, do you ask to speak to a supervisor? Just skip Joe Customer Service guy and ask him/her for a supervisor right off the bat. When the supervisor says he/she can't help you, ask for the next person up the chain of command. Keep doing this. Be persistent. Don't take no for an answer. If they tell you there is nobody above them you can talk to, ask them if they are, indeed, the CEO of Verizon. If not, demand the next person up. Keep going. That's how we got almost a 50% refund from the lovely airline that almost didn't get my husband to Vietnam in time.

jessy June 18, 2009 at 5:12 PM  

I am SO HAPPY about the job!!! Definetly a God thing the way stuff is falling into place for ya'll.
Good luck with V. I've never had any, but hoping better for you. They were our first company and the main reason we will NEVER, EVER have a cell phone contract again.

Drew, Michelle, Luke and Sage June 18, 2009 at 7:56 PM  

Yea on the job!!! And I so get the excitement for benefits. We have been self employed for our entire marriage and have to self pay. What I would give to be on a group plan! Since we have moved I can't get my son covered because of a head injury that was the fault of someone else!!!

Try www.sittercity.com. I have found good, qualified babysitters there before. I am picky too!

Annie June 19, 2009 at 3:20 AM  

I am delighted at your prospects looking good. I KNOW there was a reason you spent that time in Grab-your-lasso. Maybe just to find out what to aim for in services for Maddie. For sure, everything else (well, except for phone service) is coming up roses.

Must say, "V" made me so crazy-mad over any number of things that I vowed to never again have a contract with any phone company. I really think that my WONDERFUL pay-as-you-go service from Virgin Mobile is amazing. Those people REALLY try to provide first-rate customer service!

Tammy June 19, 2009 at 7:56 AM  

Happy for God's direction for you. Glad when it "feels good", too. The phone stuff is crazy. It IS a good idea to look in the LHJ/ GH magazine & to write there. Also, every day call them. Write all of it down-- day, time, who spoke to, etc. And try getting to the manager each time. Recite to him the exact details of who you've talked to also. God help you resolve this!

Tina in CT June 19, 2009 at 2:43 PM  

Who's winning? You or the laundry? You or Verizon? I am sure the answer will be, "You".

Have a good weekend! TGIF

mrsbroccoliguy June 20, 2009 at 8:43 AM  

Awesome news on the job!!!! What a relief that must be for all of you.

Re: babysitters - maybe check with your church college group? Even if they are all busy, they might have friends? Just a thought.

Tina in CT June 20, 2009 at 2:34 PM  

Love your comment about the fly in the Twitter box in your lefthand column.

PETA must be nuts trying to save flies! Kill them I say.

It's a shame that the White House doesn't have window screens and screen doors to keep the flies out (ha, ha).

Missy June 21, 2009 at 9:51 PM  

I'm sorry your phone company is making life miserable. So happy you found a job! I know that will put your mind at ease. Just wanted to let you know that I started a new blog. This private blog thing is for the birds. I don't want to post anything on the old one. It's not much, but you might enjoy the new one. lifeplusadoption.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP