Powered by Blogger.

lazy t roundup - kansas style

Sunday, June 7, 2009

I've seriously considered locking all four kids in their rooms and tracking down the biggest chocolate bar I can find.

Now that we're back to the Sunflower State, can I really keep calling this thing a round-up?
I mean, I KNOW Kansas had round-ups back in the day. Our part of the state was a big stop for the wagon trails on their route west...and they moved TONS of cattle through here, but not so much anymore.
In Wyoming...they rounded up. They herded. They branded...and ranchers had thousands of head of cattle.
Here...not so much.
Maybe I should call it Sunflower Pickin's or something like that. This is where you rush down to the comment button to leave me a creative new title, 'kay? ;>)
Alright...so its time for the final installment of the Lazy T Roundup. Grab your...oh forget it, who am I kidding? I don't have any of this stuff and neither do you. Just pull up a chair, a cup of joe and settle in for a long-overdue update.

1. Wireless or Bust - Sorry I haven't posted in forever, but I've become the ultimate lazy poster. If I don't have my laptop its just too much work to post something. Who wants to sit in a stiff old computer chair when I can lounge on the couch and type away.
Here's my dirty little secret - the Internet has been up and running since the day we walked in the door...but I couldn't get the laptop to 'see' the wireless connection...so I didn't put in the extra effort to sit down and post anything.
I finally broke down and called tech support today. They got me up and running in less than 30 minutes. I guess that'll teach me to sit and stew about it for days on end, absolutely convinced I can do it myself! :)

2. Half-way there - I would say our house if just about half way back to normal. The nice thing about moving back into a house you've already lived in is you know where to put things.
The not so nice thing about moving back into a house you've already lived in is chances are you have more stuff than you moved in with the first time around and there aren't as many places to put things.
Sigh.
I've thrown more stuff away this week than I did before we started packing. We could probably have saved ourselves some serious cash and time by just chucking all of this stuff BEFORE we got the U-Haul!

3. Moving Malaise - I'm not going to sugar-coat it, even though I discovered this week half of the Emerald City reads this blog. I promised you a long time ago I would keep it real. And so I shall.
We're starting to get on each other's nerves. The kids are arguing...the adults are squabbling...Maddie has been regressing. It's been fun. No. Really. Can you hear the sarcasm?
I've seriously considered locking all four kids in their rooms and tracking down the biggest chocolate bar I can find. It seems since the excitement of moving 'home' has worn off, the boxes are still blocking doorways, we can't find enough clothes to wear and we've eaten our weight in fast food for the last six days...life just can't seem find any sense of normalcy.
Add to that the fact the boys have been HORRIBLE this week, they've lost every privilege known to man, and you can see why we're all going stir crazy. I'm seriously wishing we had never loaded Alek's room with his stuff. It may be time for 'Boot Camp'. His attitude lately has been MONSTROUS.

2. Maddie's Regression - Maddie has seriously regressed in the last week. Doing things she hasn't done since we brought her home. I know, I know...she's gone through a lot of changes, but somehow it doesn't make me any more patient when she puts used toilet paper in the trash can or jams so much in the toilet it overflows...or when she steals bananas.
Yep. She's at it again.
Then there's the bossiness. My word, people, I'm telling you if she tries to boss ME around one more time I'm going to lose it.
She's been slapping Anya...
Has started at least a dozen fights with Nick...
She got into my makeup and ruined almost all of it...
She's putting clean clothes in the hamper and dirty clothes back in her drawer.
She asks 'huh' or 'what you doing' 27 million times a day...
She's getting openly defiant...only obeying if she thinks you're going to DO something about it. And believe me...I'm DOING something about it.
And her speech at times is unintelligible. (How's that for regression, Mr. IEP man?)
I know, I know, it WILL get better. I'm just not real patient right now.
The good news is she had her first t-ball game last week and BOY was she excited! No, really! I mean EXCITED!!!!! It's all she talked about all day...during the game she kept giving us 'thumbs up'....and after the game until she fell asleep she kept talking about playing baseball like a big girl.'
I'll post pictures as soon as I can find my extra camera battery. In the craziness that was the move, I've lost my camera card...ran out of batteries and can't find the camera cord to save my life. I was lucky I could find the camera at all.
Pictures, soon, I promise. ;)

3. Some really awesome people - Can I just say I love my church family? Not to sound like the child of the 80s that I am, but they are awesome people. Absolutely awesome! :)
When we pulled up on Monday afternoon I wasn't expecting to see anyone except some dear college friends. Tom and Lynda had offered to come up along with another friend of ours to help unload the truck.
I was so thankful for their help...I never dreamed our church would send in reinforcements as well! :)
At one point we had six guys helping Shad unload the U-Haul...which meant I could stay in the house directing traffic. Then a couple of other ladies showed up with dinner.
A hot meal after a week of feeding my kids lunch meat sandwiches and take-out. It was all I could do not to cry...seriously. It meant so much.

4. Back to Work - Shad heads back to work tomorrow. We've really enjoyed having him to ourselves for the last week and a half, but I guess its time.

5. Turned Upside Down - We went to Wally World yesterday and I finally did it. I bought one of those Topsy Turvy dealie's. I have not the foggiest idea if it will really work, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I want to have a garden, but there's no way I have time to put one in now...the growing season is already going full tilt...so I'm cheating, buying some plants from the nursery and putting them in this topsy turvy thing.
Tomatoes, of course. Although I did buy a watermelon plant too. I have to admit it was a bit of an impulse buy...I have absolutely NO idea where I'm going to put it.
While I'm waiting for the tomatoes to do their thing, I'm going to go ahead and put my dehydrator to work. Strawberries are in season...and there's a neat little fruit farm across the border. I'm thinking about taking the kid over and see what we can pick.
Mmmmm....fresh strawberries. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Of course it could just be the bag of Oreos calling my name from the kitchen.
We went grocery shopping yesterday. I. KNOW! Exciting stuff. But you'd be excited too to actually see fruit in your fruit basket and a loaf of bread on your counter for the first time in weeks! :)

I guess that's it for now. A busy week around here, and that's the best I can come up with. Sad, huh? I'll keep thinking...surely something interesting will happen soon.

Let's see...
I should have pictures of the kids baseball sometime this week...
I should hear some results of an important meeting I had on Wednesday...
I've got to put in a call to the IEP people this week...that's always good for a couple of laughs...
The D!recTV man is supposed to show up tomorrow...we'll see if he materializes.
Oh, and there's the play by play I owe you of the actual drive across Nebraska with a moving truck, trailer, mom-mobile packed to the gills and four absolutely bored kids.
I SHOULD be able to come up with SOMETHING this week. ;)
And if all else fails I can always let you in on the details of my days upon days of unpacking! :)

11 salty messages:

jessy June 8, 2009 at 8:19 AM  

Days and days of unpacking? I'm "totally stoked"--that's my child of the 90's offering for today.
Sorry Maddie is regressing. Language, hygene, and stealing are three of our big regression behaviours too. I laughed when I read about the dirty/clean clothes. I KNOW it's not a humorous situation for you, but it's just that Marina has done that EXACT same thing about a million times. She will put on some disgusting article of clothing, crusted with ketchup and dirt, and I will find stacks of clean clothes stuffed under her bed. Is there some sort of manual they follow, or what? Maybe they teach a class in the orphanage: Regression 101.

Sarah Halter June 8, 2009 at 8:51 AM  

What do you mean, "that's it?" That's a whole heck of a lot of busy, crazy stuff going on. Praying for grace and peace for you and the kids during this whole transition. Life will come back to a new normal.

You can call these posts whatever you want - I usually end up with "random updates" or something equally uncreative, so anything is better than that!

By the way, did you get that book in the mail before you left? Hope so!

Rachael June 8, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

I surmise that moving back into your old house would be kind of like a really, really thorough spring cleaning. You know, the kind where you move everything out then put it all back in organized (or like they do on TLC). Unfortunately, that doesn't sound very fun. But, I bet I would love the RESULTS. ;) Hang in there.

Tami June 8, 2009 at 10:08 AM  

Sarah...

Oh yes!!!! I did. I was so excited I started reading it right away even though I should have been packing! :) I plan on sending you a little thank you note and posting something on it as soon as I can find the book and your address! :) Thank you SO MUCH! :)

Elaine June 8, 2009 at 12:03 PM  

All the chaos! I don't envy the move. As much as I misss where I came from? I don't envy you the move. Hopefully the kids will all calm down sooner rather than later. Hang in there and dont' get lost in the boxes!

mrsbroccoliguy June 8, 2009 at 3:27 PM  

Moving is SO stinkin' stressful. And I can never decide which part is the worst - the packing or the unpacking. No wonder you are all going a little batty. Hope things settle down and you find your way back to "normal" again soon!

Tina in CT June 9, 2009 at 9:02 AM  

Batten down the hatches and head for the chocolate!

Seriously, I hope things will settle down this week for you with the kids.

Tanya June 9, 2009 at 9:27 PM  

Sorry about Maddie regressing, maybe now she can get services during the summer, they told us we could only have it if we could prove she'd regress. Well, that was before they took Maya off the IEP altogether. Oh, and mine is very defiant too, it seems to get worse when her speech gets worse and her speech gets worse when her hearing gets worse. But you are right, it will get better. Hope the unpacking goes well for you, good luck.

Mee2 June 10, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

Love the comment about locking the kids in the room and finding a chocolate bar. Yesterday my kids were outside crying and fighting and whining. I actually made them all go inside, shut the door, and then smoked a cigarette. All the while wishing for a margarita. haha!!

Old DAN AND Little ANN June 11, 2009 at 2:22 AM  

What a great surprise. It is too wonderful belonging to a local body. I'm sorry to hear about Maddie's issues. I pray there is relief in that as life gets unpacked and a layer of dust on it in your old - new again - digs. God bless!

Tammy June 12, 2009 at 2:56 PM  

I'm glad that you're moving back to a place where people care for you. Take care & be well. Glad you got some of the issues handled. Blogging is such a stress reliever! Get a pool up for the kids & send them outside...

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP