Powered by Blogger.

this is where I completely change my life

Monday, June 29, 2009

I'm starting a new chapter. Stay tuned...things are about to get very interesting.

The kids are settled...
The house is mostly unpacked...
The summer babysitter has been hired...
Its time to go back to work.
I began a new career today...as a newspaper reporter.
Weird, huh? Who ever would have thought this TV news junkie and blogging mama would EVER step foot inside a newspaper newsroom. Certainly not me. But that's exactly what I did today.
I have to admit, I was a bit nervous. I've never actually BEEN a reporter before.
Okay, I have, sorta...but not a bona-fide reporter. One that turns several stories a week and writes stuff that goes in a real newspaper. All of my other work was for a monthly magazine or a special section that would come out on occasion.
Now people can read my stuff EVERY. DAY.

That makes me squeemish.
Add to that the fact I've been away from the paper for almost a year and I was worried I'd be a bit rusty.
You know what was weird? As soon as I sat down at the computer it all came rushing back. Passwords, software shortcuts, design techniques...all of it.
And the best part...all my co-workers were so welcoming. Just about everyone in the building stopped by the desk to welcome me back...offer encouragement...ask what had happened in Grab-Your-Lasso and how the kids were settling into The Emerald City.
I even had a 'Welcome Back Kotter' (Insert real last name here) sign on my computer when I walked in. These guys are awesome! :)

The one thing that marred the day...my kids weren't with me.
I'm not going to start a discussion here about stay at home versus work outside the home....AND NEITHER ARE YOU! Lets just all agree to disagree, shall we? And keep in mind I don't have a choice in this matter. All choices were taken away from me, by financial decisions Shad and I made years ago. I have to work in order to pay bills...that's all there is to it.
I'm just thankful I've been able to spend some serious one-on-one time with my kids during the last 10 months.

It was a gift.
And I have a boss who has kids, understands their needs, and gives her employees flexibility.
I can't ask for anything more.
Oh, except for HEALTH INSURANCE! Woohoo! That goes into effect in a month. I can finally take Alek back to the orthodontist, Anya to the endocrinologist to check her height and Maddie to get an updated hearing aid check. I'm relieved.
So I'm starting a new chapter in my life. One I'm looking forward to...and at the same time am nervous about.
Stay tuned...things are about to get very interesting. ;)


14 salty messages:

Courtney June 30, 2009 at 9:15 AM  

I'm with you...so very, very with you.

Tina in CT June 30, 2009 at 2:34 PM  

I sure would hope that no one would judge your return to work. Your kids are all older and in school most of the time and will do fine.

Your brain will be stimulated and you're surrounded by past co-worker friends so it's a good arrangement for you. You also will be learning something new and as Martha says, "It's a good thing."

Glad to hear that you found a summer babysitter! Will the kids go back to the former after school sitter or does the school have a latch key program for after school time?

Let us know how Day One goes as we'll all be anxiously waiting.

Yahoo! Good medical insurance in a month. You can start calling to make medical appointments for August before back-to-school time rolls around.

Bethany June 30, 2009 at 5:52 PM  

Hooray! Hooray! Hooray! Going back home wasn't so bad, now was it? All that worry, I hope it's gone!

Annie June 30, 2009 at 8:58 PM  

Tami, I'm with you....I also have to work; no choice. Yet, there are aspects of it I like. Best has been that my children can be with me a lot of the time. That's ending with this summer...

And - oh, Tina! You had one well-behaved (I'm guessing) daughter.... Let me tell you, I'd feel better about leaving a two-year-old home alone as my three boys! But needs must, much of the time.

Your job sounds great - flexibility and nice co-workers? What a gift!

Rachael June 30, 2009 at 9:44 PM  

Funny, all this time I thought you WERE a reporter! Sounds exciting just the same. Happy for you that things are working out back home.

Tami June 30, 2009 at 10:04 PM  

I was really more of a writer. I wrote copy for the advertising department in the special sections they produced. I did report...but it wasn't part of the editorial department, so it wasn't
'technically' reporting. Confusing, huh? It was confusing for me too! :)

Tina in CT June 30, 2009 at 11:15 PM  

I also thought you'd been a reporter for the paper before you moved to Grab-Your-Lasso.

KAT July 1, 2009 at 5:36 AM  

Good luck with going back to work, it sounds like it will be fine.

Also, I wanted to tell you that I love your blog, and I have given you an award at my blog: http://candlesandcrafts.blogspot.com/

Congrats! You deserve it!
Have a great day!
Kat :)

SG July 1, 2009 at 8:22 AM  

God is in control! I admire you for having the courage and strength to do what you need to do for your family. God bless!

Tina in CT July 1, 2009 at 8:49 AM  

Be glad that your first week back to work is a short one as Friday is a holiday.

Troy and Rachel July 1, 2009 at 9:52 AM  

I'm so glad you felt at home at work!! It sounds like everyone is so welcoming and you can't beat that. Keep us posted and congrats on the job and the health insurance!

Signe July 1, 2009 at 9:53 AM  

Congrats on finding a great job! I'm sure you'll be great :)

mrsbroccoliguy July 2, 2009 at 6:34 PM  

It all sounds so exciting! I love being a SAHM, but I can't help wistfully imagining myself in your place... I'll just live vicariously though you, K? :-)

Elaine July 11, 2009 at 6:09 PM  

Ahh, newspaper reporting . . . fun! I am so glad I can stay home with my kids, but I am also insanely jealous of you!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP