Powered by Blogger.

one week down...

Friday, July 3, 2009

I managed to stumble my way through the week without losing my mind.

Well...I survived. That's saying something, isn't it?
I managed to stumble my way through the week without losing my mind.
Sometimes its the small victories.
I have to admit I was a tad bit overwhelmed this week. Okay, 'overwhelmed' may be a bit strong - more like stressed. Actually, it wasn't so much the job that bothered me...it was the fact that I wasn't with the kids. After all, I had been with them 24/7 for the last 10 months...my DREAM job!
*Sigh*
And then there was the whole tired factor and the 'My writing ability has completely abandoned me' doubts. After all - it HAS been almost a year since I worked full time.
Isn't it always like that? When you first start a new job you're just a tad overwhelmed with the new job, responsibilities, self-doubts and trying to navigate your way through the new faces, bureaucracy and seeming chaos.
Its weird. I worked in this place for five years...I know all the players, but the politics are completely different.
And its going to take me awhile to catch up.
I'll figure it out.
In the meantime, I'm considering making a change on here.
One of the things I don't like about Blogger is the fact that I can't make posts password protected. I don't want to make the WHOLE blog private...just a post every now and then.
Wordpress offers that option.
So here's my dilemma...
Do I make a mirror site on WordPress where I can password protect some posts?
Or do I just up and move the whole thing to WordPress?
Here's my reasoning...
Since we moved back to the Emerald City, I've been squeamish about posting. I have caught myself several times considering if I really want to blog that day knowing I may hear about it later at a ball game or the grocery store.
Its one thing to post about it when we're half-way across the country...completely different when we've moved back into our old neighborhood.
Most of my readers are people I know and love...they're people I would tell these stories to anyway. But there may be a few people out there, who I know, but don't know that well. They undoubtedly know our kids and I'm not sure I want the kids stuff out there for everyone to read. Especially the tough stuff.
Ya know what I mean?
And then there's the whole work-related stuff. I'm sorry, but sometimes I need to vent. No job is perfect and as much as I loved my old position and as much as I'm sure I'll enjoy the new one...there ARE times when you just need to let out frustrations.
And I don't want any of it to come back to haunt me.
AUGH!
What I really don't want to do is to move this whole blog...AGAIN. Besides...I can't even begin to fake that I understand anything about WordPress. But surely I could pull it off with tutoring from my WordPress friends.
So, here's the question...
Should I move the whole thing...
Or should I provide a link over here for those lucky few many who would know the secret handshake to get in.
The floor is open.
Feel free to give me your two cents...but make sure you have exact change. I haven't gotten my first paycheck yet! :)

12 salty messages:

srlsfamily July 3, 2009 at 6:39 PM  

I don't know you IRL. But I did switch from Blogger to Wordpress about 6 months ago...there are definately both advantages and disadvantages. I am not a computer geek so if I could do it, anyone can and it was pretty easy once I designed my wordpress blog to just upload all of my previous posts. On the down side, the widgets available on the side bar are limited and (at least I haven't been able to) can't have flash based widgets.

Tina in CT July 3, 2009 at 7:41 PM  

I hear what you're saying but I look so forward to your blogs. I'm a safe reader as I'm in CT and don't even know one of your friends, co-workers, etc. Please include me in whatever avenue you go down. I'd be lost w/o reading about your adventures with Shad and the 4 kids.

I don't have any advice on how to do the complicated blog things. All I know what to do is open your blog and read it.

A devoted blog reading friend in CT!

Erin July 4, 2009 at 7:10 AM  

I'm another virtual friend who has been following you for over a year. I can totally understand not wanting to talk about how your supervisor is annoying you at work when there's a good chance she'll hear that you were talking about her on your blog. At the same time, however, (and I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here), how much slack will you get when someone you "sort-of" know IRL asks for the password...and then you tell them 'No.' Will they be upset? When you post a password-protected post, will people drive you crazy asking what it was that they couldn't be trusted with? Casual aquaintences who will keep pestering you for access or something like that, would drive me nuts. At the same time, however, I can see their point of view...we always want what we can't have. Anyway, I just wanted to share my two cents, and also state that I love across the country and don't know you IRL, and I would love to be able to keep following you. Good luck with your decision!

Hugs from Maine!

Katie July 4, 2009 at 9:52 AM  

One thing about Wordpress that would probably be an issue for you--they do not allow you to do advertising on your blog. Lame, I know.

Another option would be to get a fixed domain (godaddy is $5 per month) and host your own blog with Moveable Type. I haven't used it, but my understanding is that it is pretty intuitive. And you have total freedom and (I'm pretty sure) the ability to password protect certain posts. Or, you can get all fancy and work with a content management system like Joomla (which is what I have been playing with).

Really, when you go outside of Blogger and Wordpress, it is pretty cool all of the options you can come up with.

Tammy July 4, 2009 at 10:20 AM  

I, too, want to keep up on your life, and am "safe" bc we've never met & don't live nearby. So if you make changes, let me know if you will let me "in" on your new blog.
Personally, I would mirror it over to wordpress. If you have "one of those" postings, just post it over to wp & protect it. Your site on blogger is beautiful & has a following... keep it.
OR, do you just need to make a blog that is "yours". Your venting place that no one reads (or do you need feedback?) I have a blog that almost no one knows about-- just for recording some of my memories for ME, so that I will remember.
I love getting to know you...
Hmm. Let me know if I can help in any way, though, ok? Tammy

Drew, Michelle, Luke and Sage July 4, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

I so get it!! I have recently started a memoir blog site. Most of it will be about my life but sometimes I will include things about our adoption. I wanted others who have adopted or will adopt to know the true feelings that happen with adoption. I wanted feedback also.

We have recently moved away from everyone that we know and I am at a point in my life that I don't give a damn anymore about what people think...saying that I am not writing about my supervisor. I did write about a neighbor who changed our lives forever but we just moved from there so I felt I was safe...

I would love to keep reading....

Katie July 4, 2009 at 10:57 AM  

Oooh, come to think of it, if you wanted to you could use a content management system (Joomla or Drupal) at a hosted domain to host all three of your blogs in one place. One stop shopping.

Sorry...I tend to avoid the whole keep it simple principle. ;)

MamaPoRuski July 4, 2009 at 8:37 PM  

Tami,
We will follow you where ever you go! One thing that has helped me is that I have a mission statement for the purpose of my public blog, and one for each private blog. I post to those blogs the topics that fit the statements and keep out the rest of the stuff. I for one have too many family members I would offend if I blogged everything and anything on my mind related to our family and adoption! LOL! Hugs and God Bless this Fourth!

kate July 6, 2009 at 7:41 AM  

yeah, i wonder the same thing. can't wait to benefit from your research!

mrsbroccoliguy July 6, 2009 at 8:02 PM  

Moving to Wordpress is easy. But Wordpress has it's drawbacks - it doesn't allow any flash widgets or a few other cool things that Blogger does. And I still have my old Blogger blog up - I want to take it down but the idea of just deleting the thing freaks me out.

Troy and Rachel July 7, 2009 at 2:47 PM  

I would say the mirror blog - or what about your Sage Brush blog - could you make that one completely private for venting etc - I know you haven't posted there in a while? Either way please keep me in the loop...

Diana July 9, 2009 at 10:41 AM  

Me, too. Me, too! I want to keep reading wherever you are.

One thing I've noticed lately on your blogger blog, though, is that it frequently kicks me off saying that there are errors and IE can't load the page.

Post a Comment

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP