Powered by Blogger.

name that alpaca...or...it's a girl! :)

Monday, September 28, 2009

Yea. I know. I promised pictures and then I promptly dropped off the face of the earth for a week. But you don't know what kind of a week its been around here. There's been things like baseball, flag football, AWANA, a mind-numbing job and little baby animals being born around here.
What?
You didn't know we had animals?
Why, yes. Yes we do. After all, I am a vet's wife. You can't get away without having animals if you're married to a vet.
And for my animal-lovin' husband, not just any animal will do. Oh, no. We don't just simply have two dogs and a cat...we have to have some exotic pets too.

I draw the line at reptiles and birds.
Have I ever told you that we have an alpaca? I could swear that I've told you this little bit of news, but I just can't find the link to the original story.
Anyway...our lovely alpaca had a baby last week. And she's so flippin' cute I just had to post some pictures. I had meant to get some cuter ones when we went to visit her this weekend, but alas, my camera decided that was the very minute it needed to run out of battery.
So Shad used his cell phone.
Anyway...here she is. See? I told you she was cute!
But there's one problem. The poor thing doesn't have a name. And Shad and I being Shad and I, we're not making this any easier.
Do you remember how tough it was for us to come up with names for our kids?
Ummmm...yea. We're at it again, but this time we're arguing over a little black alpaca's name.
Sigh.
We're pathetic.
So...here's where you come in. I need your very best alpaca baby names...and not just any names will do. We actually have a farm name, although we don't have an honest to goodness farm. Our imaginary farm is called Syemya Farm - Russian (we hope) for 'family'...so its our 'Family Farm.' Cute, huh?!
And in true Syemya Family farm form, we're naming all of our animals with Russian/Ukrainian names.
See? I told you we weren't making it easy.

So help me out here.

Let's name that alpaca.

15 salty messages:

Anonymous,  September 29, 2009 at 10:53 PM  

We need to know if the little one is a girl or a boy.
Heather

Tami September 29, 2009 at 10:58 PM  

Sorry. I guess I should have made that more clear. It's a girl! :)

Milena September 30, 2009 at 5:16 AM  

Since she's a sweet little love, what about Lyubov, meaning love?

Or else maybe Yevdokia, being one of my favourite Russian names :-)

Tina in CT September 30, 2009 at 5:38 AM  

She's adorable. I love the name Tatianna.

Elaine September 30, 2009 at 5:55 AM  

Well, my first thought is that she is so cute I could just eat her up. But she is black, so I thought of licorice. Except I hate that stuff. But still, do you know the Russian word for that? I have no idea, but maybe it would make a good name? Or the Russian word for dark chocolate? There is something I'd actually eat, but it's a rather cumbersome name in English.

Rachael September 30, 2009 at 7:28 AM  

Oh goodness - she is a little cutie. I was thinking it would be cute if there were some Russian name that meant "black" (other than just calling her chorneya) but I can't find any.

Caroline September 30, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

I like Milena's suggestion of lyubov for love. Your new "little one" is definitely a sweetie. Sunflower seeds are black though. What's the Russian word for the seeds of the sunflower?

Calico Sky September 30, 2009 at 9:49 AM  

Ooh Tami! I love alpacas! In fact, my master plan is to have a couple myself in a few years :) There are many here where I live in the UK!

what about Aleksandra aka Ali the Alpaca! :)

Katie September 30, 2009 at 11:14 AM  

No suggestions on the name, but Oh. My. Gosh. she is cute! And suddenly I have the urge for alpaca yarn. Soooo soft! You had better learn how to spin! LOL.

Erin September 30, 2009 at 12:08 PM  

How about the Russian equivalent of "Midnight" or "Coal" or something else - a name, of course, that you can actually pronounce. :) Or you could flip it around and name her "Snowball" or something, just to be ironic. Good luck!

Troy and Rachel September 30, 2009 at 12:20 PM  

What about Fayine which I believe means "Free One" in Russian?! What a dolly!

Tina in CT September 30, 2009 at 5:38 PM  

What do you do with the alpaca fur? Do you send it off for processing so it can be used for knitting?

I don't think you live on a spread so assume the alpacas are living with friends.

Anonymous,  September 30, 2009 at 10:23 PM  

Well,
the cute version of black is Chernoushka,I think,
or the word for the raisin (which is often black in Russia)
Izuminka or
Korovka, which is a cute name for a cow (or a candy) and it can be of any color
or because she is so fluffy - Ezhick or Chebourashka
Olga

Milena October 1, 2009 at 4:24 AM  

Me again :-) I really like Olga's suggestion of Chernoushka! I vote for that!

Chebourashka makes me think of the Soviet childrens' tv-series from the seventies "Chebourashka and friends", which my children love.... What exactly does Chebourashka mean? Olga, please?

Diana October 1, 2009 at 9:47 AM  

No name suggestions for you, but she's cute.

Have you ever tried blowing bubbles around them? My old neighbors had some alpacas. My little son had some bubbles while we were out on a walk one day. The combination of the two was absolutely hilarious to watch.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP