Powered by Blogger.

OMW! she's put up a post with pictures!

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I no sooner had, 'yes, sweetheart, you start school today' out of my mouth, before she jumped out of bed, ran over to the dresser, pulled out her clothes, put them on, ran across the hall, down the stairs and flew into the kitchen.

Y
ea...this post probably should have been called, 'the day Maddie started kindergarten'...but that would have just been restating the obvious.

So would saying, Maddie was excited to start school today. But if I WERE to write it, could you tell me how to spell 'excited' because I would definitely need to know.
Of course, if you couldn't spell it, I'm pretty sure Maddie could help you.
This child was E-X-C-I-T-E-D!
The first thing out of her mouth when I woke her up this morning was a groggy, 'skoooooo today mama.'
I no sooner had, 'yes, sweetheart, you start school today' out of my mouth, before she jumped out of bed, ran over to the dresser, pulled out her clothes, put them on, ran across the hall, down the stairs and flew into the kitchen.
She. Was. Ready.
Too bad she had to do boring stuff like eat breakfast, brush her teeth, comb her hair and wait for her sister and brothers to get ready to go.
She wanted to leave. NOW!
Poor thing had to wait another 45 minutes - and she made sure we KNEW it. She was a drill sargent...instructing everyone on how to get ready and asking every few minutes what time it was.
Cute. Stuff.
I hope she doesn't repeat it tomorrow. ;)
When it was finally time to go, Maddie ran to the van, climbed in and endured the five minute drive to school...all the while telling us all about how she was a big girl now, not a baby anymore - think we've had this conversation much this summer?! :)
The minute...no, let me rephrase that...the 'second' we walked onto the playground it was as if Shad and I completely disappeared. She was in her element - waving at kids I'm pretty sure she's never met, confidently walking through the masses of children waiting to start their day and chatting with the lucky few.
She even left Anya, Nick and Alek behind.
When the principal called for the kids to line up, Maddie let me walk her up to her classmates and lined up like a pro. Then her group took off.
And Maddie never looked back.
Of course she should probably have been looking where she was going, because by the time Shad and I caught up with her, she and several other students were following the other kindergarten teacher down the hall to her new room.
Evidently she and her friends followed the masses...right into the wrong room.
Once she was in her class, found her cubbie and put her jacket away she was ready for us to leave. She kept telling us 'bye,' waving us off and rolling her eyes every time we tried to take a picture.
I guess that was our cue to leave.
What's funny is...I didn't cry a single tear.
I had convinced myself I would be a sobby mess when this day finally arrived...but she was so confident and thrilled to be going to school, I couldn't help being more happy for her than sad for me.
I guess I'm growing up too! :)
Sounds like the day went pretty well. Her teacher said Maddie was attentive, polite and listened to directions like a pro. Of course it was only day one, and a half day at that, but I'm choosing to be optimistic.
I think she's going to have a great year!



13 salty messages:

Tina in CT September 2, 2009 at 5:54 AM  

Maddie even looks a lot older (and taller). Wonder how she is this morning and if she's already up and ready for school. Glad to hear how excited she is about school.

Courtney September 2, 2009 at 7:04 AM  

I can't believe how long her hair has gotten! Remind me--is she in a sign class this year or a typical class?

Rachael September 2, 2009 at 7:10 AM  

That is great!

My Ben (my baby) started Kindergarten too and LOVES it. I thought I'd be pretty sad about it, but you're right: their excitement kind of overshadows our own issues! ;)

Alek is SO tall! He must have grown - I don't remember seeing pics of your four where he towers over the other 3. But...maybe you just need to post pics more. ;)

Tami September 2, 2009 at 8:11 AM  

Courtney...she's mainstreamed. I'm considering myself lucky that she has access to a teacher for the deaf at all! I think the only reason we were able to get that is because there's another child in the county who is completely deaf and needed her services as well. As it is, both kids have to share her part-time. Pretty crummy for the completely deaf child.
I had a talk with the teacher again this morning when I dropped them off. She reiterated to me how well yesterday went...and how excited she was to have Maddie in her classroom. The speech pathologist is coming in today to meet with her and to talk about the schedule...the teacher of the deaf is coming in next Tuesday for her first consulation and then an audiologist from the School for the deaf in Kansas City is coming in next week as well to hook up the FM system. It looks like the district is holding up their end of the IEP - at least so far. ;)

Svetlana September 2, 2009 at 9:13 AM  

Hi. Tami
It is great to see Maddie is doing so well at first day of school. I can wait to hear how her year goes.

Courtney September 2, 2009 at 10:46 AM  

Yay! Does Maddie do pretty well with the FM system? Does that hook directly into her BAHA or does she have to wear a different aid for it?
I'm glad to hear the school district seems to be following through with you guys!!

Bethany September 2, 2009 at 11:57 AM  

I had the same thought as Rachael...unbelievable how tall Alek is! I remember that my brother was about his age when he suddenly towered over me, after we had been the same height for years.

And, hooray for a great first day! And hopefully a second!

Troy and Rachel September 2, 2009 at 1:30 PM  

Maddie's hair is getting so long! She looks so grown up!! I'm glad she had a great day and you were able to leave with a smile instead of tears!!

P.S. Happy belated Birthday!!

Tammy September 2, 2009 at 3:05 PM  

CONGRATS mom! May every day be so easy! :) Tammy

Elaine September 2, 2009 at 3:59 PM  

Yay for Maddie! It is so much easier to figure it all out when you're excited to be going in the first place.

jessy September 2, 2009 at 8:28 PM  

Yay, Maddie! I'm assuming it was everyone's first day? Are ya'll getting a late start this year, or is this normal?

mrsbroccoliguy September 3, 2009 at 3:13 PM  

I love "OMW" - think I might have to borrow that. And OMW is your oldest son TALL!! How great that Maddie was so excited for school and did so well! I don't cry either... don't know why? Maybe it's relief at finally having the shopping done and everyone back on a schedule?

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP