Powered by Blogger.

30 pink balloons

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Its late.

I should be winding down - getting into my pjs, brushing my teeth and crawling into bed for a good night sleep.
Instead, I'm sitting on the couch, watching the evening news and blowing up 30 hot pink balloons.
We've got a birthday tomorrow. My big girl becomes an even bigger girl in the morning...my precious Anya turns 9.
I can't begin to tell you how much this girl means to me.
Seven years ago when I met her in that Russian orphanage, she was a pipsqueak of a thing. She sat on a bench picking little toys out of a white bag...first a tiny doll, then a white horse, a little bear and a red truck.
All the while, I kept wondering if we were doing the right thing. Shad was absolutely in love, convinced she was the one.
I was absolutely terrified! I knew nothing about girls. I had no desire to buy dresses, had little interest in dolls and had proved to be an abysmal failure as a hair stylist. I just KNEW I would be a disaster as a little girl's mom, but there was something about her...and quite frankly, I'm still not sure what it was.
From the moment we brought her home she was VERY temperamental...VERY emotional...VERY strong-willed. It was all I could do to bond with her. It took months and months of forcing myself to try all the techniques to connect with her, before I really felt like her mom. Actually, it was more like a year.
Sad...but true.
Now? I couldn't imagine life without her.
Sure...she's still overly emotional and very strong-willed. There are days when I'm exasperated by the constant drama, frustrated by my inability to french-braid her hair and am tempted to thrown every last Barbie out the window.
But I'm also incredibly thankful. She's blossomed into a sweet, compassionate, giving, nurturing, thoughtful, loving, gentle and loyal girl. She's smart, funny, friendly and witty.
She is FOREVER helping Maddie. Patiently working with her to pick out an outfit for school, brushing her hair while I curl mine and often pouring milk on her morning cereal while I try to corral the boys to put on jeans that haven't been in their laundry bin with mud stains on them for the last week.
She loves to help with Saturday chores, often doing way more than requested.
She thrives on nursing her sick brothers and sister back to health by bringing them cool washcloths and a drink of water.
She makes her bed without asking.
She colors new pictures each week to tape on the refrigerator.
She worries about every kitten she spots on the street.
She enjoys hunting bugs with Nick and can't understand why I don't want to join them.
She is working really hard to stop chewing her nails...so she can get her ears pierced tomorrow.
She plays football with the guys and loves to play dress-up.
And she loves her Lord with ALL her heart.
All of these are just the tip of the iceberg of why I love this little girl.
Just. The. Tip.
So I will gladly and thankfully inflate these balloons tonight. I have been blessed to have another year as Anya's mom.
Blowing up 30 hot pink balloons is a very small price to pay, indeed.
Happy Birthday Anya!

I'm thankful that...my Heavenly Father trusted Shad and I to raise this precious girl. He knew exactly what He was doing when He lent her to us. We're thankful for the time we have with her and are REALLY looking forward to enjoying getting to know the young woman she is becoming.

10 salty messages:

Bethany November 5, 2009 at 2:00 AM  

What a sweet girl. Happy Birthday, Anya!

You know, it's not just adoptive moms that sometimes have a hard time bonding. I remember distinctly the moment I realized I loved A.J. just the way he was: I was putting him to bed the night before we were having him evaluated for autism. (Came back as "some features of Asperger's.") I didn't care what they thought of him, only knew that he was my son and I couldn't live without him. He was 4 and a half. And, he was just about the easiest baby ever. So, don't worry so much about how long it took. Now you have to worry if you'll ever be able to let go!

Do you think she'd go for A.J.? :)

Annie November 5, 2009 at 2:06 AM  

What an absolutely lovely post! I'm so touched. What a beautiful thing for her to be able to read when she gets older....

Happy Birthday Anya!

Tammy November 5, 2009 at 2:06 AM  

That was beautiful Tami! Happy Birthday Anya!

Tina in CT November 5, 2009 at 5:22 AM  

Happy birthday to your 9 year old daughter.

Beautiful post.

Rachael November 5, 2009 at 7:22 AM  

Happy, happy Birthday, Anya!

Conethia and Jim Bob November 5, 2009 at 11:34 AM  

Happy b-day precious!! You have a beautiful young lady blossoming before you. Enjoy your time together.

Troy and Rachel November 5, 2009 at 11:53 AM  

Happy Birthday Anya!! And i have to tell you the Happy Gas story had me laughing out loud at my desk at work and I need not to laugh out loud like that at work!!!

mrsbroccoliguy November 5, 2009 at 11:56 AM  

Happy Birthday Anya!
What a sweet girl... and what a great reminder that sometimes the hard times bring the sweetest rewards. You are a blessed Mama!

Elaine November 5, 2009 at 6:08 PM  

Happy birthday to your sweet, sweet girl! Do you think she could come teach my kids to make their beds?????

Christine November 5, 2009 at 10:17 PM  

What a precious girl your daughter is! She sounds like a gem.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP