Powered by Blogger.

in which my daughter trips out on happy gas

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Feeling a bit like a junkie buying a hit on a street corner, I said, 'Let's do it.'

Usually I'm not much of a drug user. Honest. I tend to forgo the Advi! for my own headaches, hoping they'll resolve themselves.
But when the dentist told us a couple of weeks ago that Anya would need to have a couple of little cavities filled, the first thing I asked was, 'Do you have happy gas?"
'Suuuuuure,' she replied. 'That's an option.'
Feeling a bit like a junkie buying a hit on a street corner, I said, 'Let's do it.'
We haven't had a lot of experience with kids getting fillings...which is a bit of a surprise, given the kids rough backgrounds. But I've personally had enough filled to know - this would be one thing Anya WOULD. NOT. enjoy.
And I was right.
By the time we pulled into the parking lot this evening, Anya was a mess...and I was ending up prayers of thanksgiving for whoever discovered (invented) laughing gas.
It was good to have Anya higher than a kite tonight.

Very. Good.
Not only did it make the whole process a lot less stressful for Anya...
It made it a lot more entertaining....for me. ;>)
I have never seen anyone on nitrous oxide. Oh, I've watched the movies and TV shows that portrayed the poor souls who inhaled the funny stuff. But until tonight I had never witnessed it in person.

Honestly? I think the TV shows didn't quite do it justice! :)
Anya was HYSTERICAL!
It all started out innocently enough. A little smile here...a flick of the fingers there...
But soon she was patting her tummy like a drum, conducting an imaginary orchestra (there was no music), wiggling her fingers at me in a cute little greeting and holding a piece of gauze like it was a long-lost toy!
Finally, she looked at me through the space between the mask and the elbow of the dental technician and smiled a silly lopsided little grin as she waved the piece of gauze at me like she was Scarlet O'Hara.
That was it.

First I snickered...
Then I snorted...
and finally...
Bwwwaaaaahaaaaa!
I lost it! I'm sorry! I couldn't help it. I swear! It was just too funny sitting there watching Anya as she wiggled her fingers an inch in front of her face, giggling hysterically all the while with one of those bite things in her mouth and a blue napkin around her neck.
The laughter was contageous I'm afraid. Anya snorted some more and burst out in a gafaw...the technician was next with a chortle and a cackle...

The dentist just smiled her wise, knowing smile.
I think I even heard someone in the exam room next to ours let out a little teeter.
Meanwhile, Alek kept peering through the receptionist desk back into our bay, I'm sure wondering if his poor mother was losing her mind.
I was close.
My only regret tonight? I didn't think to pull out my cell phone until they had shut off the happy gas and turned the oxygen back on.

Darn it! Anya could have been the latest YouTube sensation!

I'm thankful for: A dentist who is INCREDIBLY good at pain management...and for happy gas. I just may ask for the stuff myself next time.

5 salty messages:

Tina in CT November 4, 2009 at 5:34 AM  

What an evening - and experience. Bet you're glad it's over.

AdoptaMama November 4, 2009 at 9:39 AM  

I never had the experience either. Maybe after all this Halloween candy we'll all be due for a couple of fillings. ;)

Sounds like a hysterical night for both of you!

Annie November 4, 2009 at 11:25 AM  

It IS catchy - I heard myself utter a giggle just reading this.

Drew, Michelle, Luke and Sage November 9, 2009 at 8:03 PM  

Last time my son used it he was riding a rollercoaster! He kept telling me how he was spinning and twirling!

Good stuff!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP