Powered by Blogger.

so this is why I never became a doctor...

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

FALSE ALARM EVERYONE! Alek doesn't have the swine flu!

Because I can't diagnose stuff to save my or anyone else's life...
Well, THAT and then there's that whole fear of needles thing.
Anyway...just popping in to say 'FALSE ALARM EVERYBODY!" Alek doesn't have the swine flu...and Shad's clear too. Turns out Alek has strep...which, as odd as it sounds, I was thankful to hear. He's been on antibiotics for 24 hours and headed back to school this morning well on the road to recovery.
Shad's headache continued to get worse after I last posted - and then he ended up losing his lunch (or in this case supper). Turns out? He was going through caffeine withdrawal. My wonderful husband, unbeknownst to me, started drinking caffeinated pop again a few months ago. Since I didn't know, I bought him a different brand of pop (caffeine free) on my most recent shopping trip. He didn't notice the difference and well...went through detox! :)
I have no sympathy. Well, okay. I did while he was urping...but afterwards, nah. He knew what he was getting into when he went back on that stuff.
Of course, our medical adventures weren't over with just these two.
Anya decided to get in on the action last night. She started complaining of an ear ache. Knowing EXACTLY what it was, we drugged her up, sent her to school and then Shad took her in to the doctor this afternoon.
Sure enough. An ear infection.
Sigh.
Problem is...our health insurance changed their prescription policy a few months back and now we have to meet a deductible before they start paying anything. Usually its not that big of a deal. Everybody has those $4 prescriptions anymore. But since she was just on an antibiotic for an ear infection they decided not to give her the amoxicillan this time. The new drug? $104!
Unfortunately we can't do that and eat this week, so I get to call the doctor tomorrow morning to see if there are any other options.
Oh! And on the medical front...the school district sent a note home today saying they will be offering H1N1 shots to all their students next week. If we want one for the kids, we're supposed to sign and return a form.
Something bothers me about that...and I'm not exactly sure what.
Part of it, I'm sure, is that I like being there for my kids when they get a shot. Shots aren't fun. They should be able to have their mom there, if needed...especially Ellie.
The other problem is much more undefinable. I think its that I like being there WITH my kids with they get a shot. I don't like the idea of someone giving my kid a shot without me being there...ya know?!
And then there's the whole - mass, government-endorsed, inoculation thing. I get my kids shots...Shad and I consider it our responsibility as parents. (We are NOT going to have a discussion here about inoculations people!) but I'm not comfortable with the shots are being provided through the schools.
Schools are for education...not for health management.
Anyway...I'm still wading my way through what I'm thinking about all of this, but in the meantime we have to have the forms back in by Friday. I imagine we'll go ahead and get the shots. Its nearly impossible to get four kids rounded up to go to the doctor to get a shot...besides, the shots are free...and THAT's something I'm all for.
Especially when antibiotics cost $104!!!

12 salty messages:

Tina in CT November 11, 2009 at 7:38 AM  

Since the swine vaccine is so scarce, my vote is to have them get it at school. I've heard on the news that kids 10 and under need 2. Will the school be giving the 2nd one in 3 weeks?

Glad the swine flu did not hit your house.

When I switched years ago from regular Coke to decaf, I never had any reaction but then I only have one glass (loaded with ice cubes) at night so not much. Poor Shad.

Glad that the meds are kicking in for the sickies in your house.

Courtney November 11, 2009 at 7:47 AM  

We just got prescription antibiotic ointment for the kids' impetigo. I paid $8 for the prescription--and saved $135!! What?!?! A tube of ointment costs over $140?? Something is seriously messed up there--and it's even a generic.

Glad to hear it's not the swine flu. Everyone I've talked to that's had it said it's pretty mild. I think it all depends on whether or not you have any other underlying conditions.

MoonDog November 11, 2009 at 9:01 AM  

when I was in 1st grade I got the smallpox vacc(I think thats what it was) at school. it hurt bad. and I cried. and I wanted to be comforted and my teacher was like a cold fish about it. All I wanted was a hug. she just sent me off to lunch and carried on with her work. I agree that being with them is better. I had Sophie scheduled to get h1n1 today but too late we got the virus this weekend.

Calico Sky November 11, 2009 at 11:47 AM  

Ear infections are so painful, hope she is right as rain soon!

I think education is a big part of public health so I'm starting to see how many health enriching experiences can be had in education like in the UK the free fruit & veg program and free milk. I think you hit the nail on the head, somtimes it also comes down to time!

kate November 11, 2009 at 12:13 PM  

So glad they didn't have the flu!

Our school does shots (we provide a lot of things as the homebase for ex-pat life...). BUT they are after school. Many parents come in for shots or just to hold hands.

Couldn't you go to school that day?

Really will comment more. Just short on time these days... ;>

mrsbroccoliguy November 11, 2009 at 3:02 PM  

Good news on the diagnosis! Something you can treat with a prescription is lots better than a piggy flu you just have to suffer through.
I'm not sure what I'd do about the vaccine either, if it were offered to us. I'm uncomfortable with this particular vaccine but yet also don't want all 6 of us to get the flu... and what if your child has a reaction but no one notices because they don't know your kid as well as you do? (I meant this as a general "you" not a specific "YOU" - as in what would *I* do?) But then again, this vaccine is apparently very hard to come by, so if it were offered and that easy for my kids to get... well, that would be very tempting.
Ach. I agree, schools shouldn't be stepping in the middle of this. It just gets too muddled.

adoptyaroslav November 11, 2009 at 3:56 PM  

I agree with you about schools being places for education and not inoculation; but I'd also go for the free shots! Unfortunately, our school district seems to think the length of my son's hair is more important than inoculations or learning. They want to put him in in-school-suspension if we don't get the back of his hair cut soon. Wait till this Mama shows up with pictures of the other kids in Ukraine with the exact same haircut. Eight months later, he's not ready to give it up yet, and I'm willing to battle for him.

BTW, I really feel sorry for Shad with his caffeine withdrawal. I've had the headaches before, but nothing else. I should ban the stuff from my house, too, I know.

Natalie
adoptyaroslav.blogspot.com

jessy November 12, 2009 at 4:36 PM  

I was afraid Marina had the flu and it turned out she had strep throat. Somehow, I was relieved to find out it was strep. Why? I'm pretty sure it made her feel just as lousy.
A few months ago I had a dermatologist prescribe a drug for Randy that insurance would not cover. $300.00!!! When I asked the doctor for other options, he talked to me like I was guilty of neglect for not wanting to buy it. Needless to say, we sought a second opinion.
I'm totally on board with the whole government conspiracy on H1N1shot. We will not be getting one, but I think perhaps the whole state of Texas may boycott it. I love my state!

Anonymous,  November 15, 2009 at 6:44 PM  

Just wondering... are they giving shots (which are usually being reserved for high risk population) or the nasal vaccine? May turn out your only not there for a little squirt in the nose instead of not being there for the ouchy shot. Not that it makes you feel any better about it. :)

Tami November 15, 2009 at 7:13 PM  

The way it sounds, they're giving both. Some shots and some nasal vaccines...I think most of the younger kid are getting the nasals.
*Update* We've decided to not have the kids get the shots at the school. IF we decide to have them get the vaccines, we'll take them to the health department ourselves. It gives us a little more time to figure out what we want to do.

SLColman November 16, 2009 at 1:07 AM  

So glad to hear it was only strep and not the piggie flue!!

Tanya November 22, 2009 at 11:47 PM  

I would do it, I guess. But I get what you are saying, I don't feel great about getting it through the school.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP