Powered by Blogger.

Erp, swamps, anniversaries, mean people and confessions

Friday, December 18, 2009

Not five minutes into the game, Maddie said she wasn't feeling well...and then immediately erped all over the guy in front of her.

So here's the story...
A band of crazed third-graders terrorists kidnapped me and took me to a shopping mall remote desert island where they tortured me by making me drink large cups of hot chocolate amounts of sleeping pill laced kool-aid which put me into a massive sugar coma.
I finally escaped by buying them lots of Christmas presents secretly building a raft and, in pure MacGyver style, snuck out in the middle of the night, blowing up the entire camp using just a shoe string and 10-year-old piece of bubble gum.
WHAT?! You don't believe that? Comon'! Every last word of it is not true.
Fine. Maybe you'll believe this...

Erp, erp and more erp
I'm home with a sick kid today. Shad took all four kids to a basketball game last night while I was at a meeting (I'll tell you about it in a minute). Not five minutes into the game, Maddie said she wasn't feeling well...and then immediately erped all over the guy in front of her.
And Shad.
And herself.
And the basketball floor.
Fun times.
Glad I wasn't there.
He no sooner got the kids home and she erped again...and again and again. Sorry to be so graphic, but you have to understand this isn't something we deal with much. Thankfully our kids all have stomachs of steel. Not much comes out of them, so erping is greeted with a great deal of consternation (I love that word. ;)
By the time I made it home she was resting comfortably in the middle of the living room floor on a sleeping bag. Sleeping in her bed would require too far of a hike to the bathroom...with Shad camped out on the couch. Reason 2,584 why I married the right guy. He voluntarily slept on the couch to keep an eye on her.
Oh, and 2,585...he cleaned everyone up and did the laundry too!
He's a keeper.
Maddie is doing much better this morning, but rather than risk another episode at school, I'm keeping her home. Besides, its a good excuse for staying home and getting some much needed stuff done. I'll probably end up paying for it this weekend with a Saturday or Sunday work day. Oh well.
Meanwhile, Maddie is devastated. She LOVES school and watching the other three tromp through the school doors this morning carrying presents for their teachers proved to be too much. My even-tempered Maddie cried uncontrollably until we got home and I found her favorite episode of Blue's Clue's on the DVR.
She is now contentedly sitting in Shad's recliner watching Wonder Pets...holding her baby, wrapped in my favorite throw and nursing a large watered-down glass of apple juice.

Swamped, snowed under, up to my gills
Have I mentioned I've been a little swamped at work lately? Oh, that's right! I've been too swamped to write! Sorry about that.
Back in August I had this crazy idea... 'Hey kids! Why don't I take a week off in between Christmas and New Year's Day so we can hang out and have some fun.'
The children rejoiced. I put in my request.
The problem is I forgot that I don't work in a normal profession. In order to take any time off, I have to do all of my work before I leave. That means finding time to write a week's worth of stories prior to Christmas Eve. You wouldn't think that would be so tough, would you? Especially given that I had four months to do it in, but somehow I've managed to make it darn near impossible. In addition to my usual three stories a week, I also have two magazine articles and another two articles that are due right when I come back...and then I have my stories for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and the weekend as well.
So instead of just a weeks' worth...its more like a week and a half...and then some.
For the last week and a half I've been turning in a story every day. Which, again, doesn't sound like much, but they are three-source stories...and at 20-25 inches a pop requires a great deal of work. It usually takes me at least two days to track down sources, interview them, transcribe the interview and then write my masterpiece.
I haven't been writing any masterpieces lately. ;)
Thankfully, its almost over. I have two stories that I'm going to need to write this weekend...and then two a day for the next three days after that. By Wednesday I'll be a shadow of my former self...but I'll be off work for 10 days. That has to count for something...right?

Right?!!!

Two years ago today...
Well, actually it's more like next Tuesday, but by next week I'll be so busy writing I won't have much time for blogging. So...
Two years ago ago next Tuesday, we met Maddie for the first time. I know I say it all the time, but WHERE did the time go?!
Honestly? It seems like she's always been with us. We're almost at the halfway point when it comes to having her with us longer than she was in the orphanage...its a day I need to pinpoint. I'd really like to mark the day in some way. It will probably be around the time she turns eight *sigh* which isn't so far away. Maddie turns six in just a few short weeks.
Speaking of time...I need to give you a Maddie update...maybe even with a video. I'll see if I can find the camera and get something put up this weekend. You NEED to see how far this girl has come in the last two years. She's growing and changing right before our very eyes. I'll give you a more complete update soon, but let me give you a little tidbit by saying in when I talked to her teacher the other night at her music program, Mrs. B said Maddie has made HUGE strides this year. Socially she is doing MUCH better...academically she's doing good...and her behavior is a trillion times better. Okay...the trillion is my word, but you get the idea.
She's still going to need that extra year of Kindergarten. There are still too many holes. For instance...Maddie is able to recognize all of her letters and knows how to make each sound, but for some reason doesn't understand the concept that those letters are used to make anything.
I think we're going to have to double our reading efforts around here.

They're at it again...
Speaking of school...they Emerald City school district is up to their old tricks, again.
Actually its not so much the school as it is the county's education co-op.
In that same conversation with Mrs. B she mentioned Maddie's time with the teacher for the deaf had been cut back to one day a week instead of two.
Ahem...Why hadn't I been informed of this?!
She seemed truly surprised I had heard absolutely nothing...and had certainly not signed OFF on anything.
So. I have a call into Mean, Mean Man to find out what in the world is going on.
Let's see if he calls back, shall we? Anyone want to take any bets?

This is where I admit I may be in over my head
I've been holding out on you.
Sorry about that.
Drumroll, please...
I'm a blog-radio talk show host.
See? I told you I had been holding out on you.
A few months ago I was sitting around with a couple of friends, chatting over a cup of coffee...well, technically I had a glass of water - not being a coffee drinker and all...and we were having such a good time one of us joked that we should have our own talk show.
And then one of us got serious about it.
And for once it wasn't me.
She looked into it and wouldn't you know it? There's a free blog-radio site where we could host a weekly show FOR FREE!
So we took the plunge. Over the past few weeks we've been practicing. And believe me...need the practice. But we're having a ton of fun.
So...here's where you come in.
If you want to join us for all the fun, you can check us out at a few locations...

Blog - The Fresh Cup
Twitter - @thefreshcup
Facebook - The Fresh Cup

Please add us as as friends on Facebook, follow us on Blogger and tweet with us on Twitter.
And we'd love to have you listen to us live on our radio show at BlogTalkRadio.com here. You can even call in and join the show!
Crazy, huh?!
I KNOW!
The last few weeks we've actually been broadcasting, but we haven't publicized it at all. I'm letting you in on the secret because we need the feedback and we'd love to actually have an audience and maybe a person or two who will call in.
We're still pretty rough...but practice makes perfect, right? And we're having SO. MUCH. FUN.
The next LIVE broadcast will be on Tuesday at 9:30 p.m. CST. Of course, you don't have to wait until then. You can listen to our archived shows. (If you listen to last night's show, wait a few minutes after you press play...we had some technical difficulties - actually it was more like Tami-has-lost-her-mind-and-can't-remember-anything-technical-she-learned-in-college, difficulties. ;)
So what do you say? Why don't you give us a listen?





4 salty messages:

SLColman December 19, 2009 at 6:02 PM  

Very cool about the radio show!!

Sorry to hear that Maddie wasn't feeling well!

I hope that you are able to get all those articles done!!

SkifZakon December 20, 2009 at 5:08 AM  

It Tina but I'm not in CT....

I flew out of JFK on the 18th so escaped the East Coast before the big snowstorm. Arrived here in Moscow Sat. AM and off we were for the afternoon. Crashed on my inflatable mattress at 10:00.

Poor Maddie and everyone that she barfed on. Sure must have freaked out the man sitting in front of her.

How awful that you have to do all your work ahead of a vacation. What kind of a vacation is that? Good luck getting it all done.

Drew, Michelle, Luke and Sage December 20, 2009 at 10:06 AM  

I remember reading your blog like it was yesterday when you met Maddie. I giggled when I read about you going to meet the director in the wrong colored socks! I am so like that!!!

Enjoy your time off. You deserve it!

lookingforgeorge December 30, 2009 at 12:29 PM  

I love your opening to this post! And I'm going to have to check out your radio show now!

Post a Comment

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP