Friday, January 1, 2010
I'm thinking 2010 has a nice ring to it. And as Anne of Green Gables was wont to say, 'it's a new day - with no mistakes in it yet.'
HAPPY New Year!
Whew! I'm so glad we're into a new year. I don't know about you, but that last one was a doozie. I'm thinking 2010 has a nice ring to it. And as Anne of Green Gables was wont to say, 'it's a new day - with no mistakes in it yet.'
Jan 1, 2010 dawned this morning bright, clear and bitterly cold...but I'll take it. 2009 just had too much baggage in it. ;)
We had a really nice quiet day. A big change from the last couple of weeks where I've felt like I was playing nurse in the pediatric ward or the mad hatter running around late for something.
What? I didn't tell you that after our last battle with the stomach flu we had the joy of round two. Sorry about that. Turns out there was a second, equally virulent bug circulating our community - and we caught both - within two weeks! Thankfully the worst seems to be over. Everyone...and I do mean every. one. has had their fun and we're all back to normal - whatever that is.
Since we have finally kicked the erpies, I made our traditional New Year's Day dinner today - Russian/Ukranian fare. This year I tried my hand at Farshirovanniy Rulet (stuffed meat loaf), deruni (fried potatoes cakes) and borscht (a really easy, and not-so-beaty recipe from the Ukranian couple I interviewed a couple of weeks ago and should really start writing that story about. ;)
It turned out pretty well, all the kids liked it except for Nick who doesn't like any. thing. at. all. The only fly in the ointment is Shad is on call and will be through the New Year's weekend...which means we probably won't see him much. The clinic is technically closed tomorrow, but farmers don't seem to get the memo - or to care. They will call with the most mundane cattle work - stuff that can ABSOLUTELY wait until the next work day, but won't wait on THEIR timetable.
Add to that the lovely owner who feeds their pet an horderve with the toothpick still in it, the really smart person that leaves chocolate where their dog can get to it and your run of the mill cat lover that just can't seem to wait until Monday to have their feline's furballs taken care of and well, you can imagine what the next few days are going to be like.
Despite the erpies, we really have had some fun over the last couple of weeks.
We got home two days ago from a quick trip out to Colorado. Those who follow me on Facebook and Twitter know we made a quick trip out to Colorado on the Sunday after Christmas. We were going to head out on the 26th, but there was that whole Christmas blizzard thing. We weren't going to go at all, but after a call from Shad's parents, we decided it would be best to go. Things have been a little rough lately and we thought a quick visit would do everyone a bit of good.
And it did.
We spent two days just hanging out with the grandparents and cousins..playing games, eating and chatting. Not much excitement, but good times anyway.
On the 12 hour drive home I had the time to sit and think about 2010 and the changes I want to make in my life. I'm really not much of a resolution keeper, so I typically try to stay as far away from them as I can...HOWEVER, there really are some things that need to be changed. So I'm going to resolve to try and change them. For the record (and so you can help keep me accountable) here they are...
I resolve to...
1. Do a better job of keeping this blog updated. I'm going to try a daily challenge for the month of January to get me kick-started. I'm going to try to post something - no matter how small. We'll see how that works. I'm also going to be reaching out to my bloggy friends a bit more. I'm already reading - really I am. I'm just not commenting as much as I would like. So rest assured, you'll be hearing from me this year. And if you're NOT?! Let me know. Leave me a comment, and I'll drop by. ;>)
2. Lose some weight - I'm not putting a number on there so there's not as much pressure if I fail miserably. I just know I need to do something - and I may head to a doctor to try and help. When it comes to weight loss, I have a horrible sense of self-control. So making this one happen may take some professional assistance. Joining a gym isn't an option (we live too far away), I don't have time to even head out for a walk right now, so I'm going to try to change the one thing I can - what I put in my mouth. I'm also taking a cue from my bloggy friend, Elaine and starting my own 300 days of Wii. She didn't issue it as a challenge, but I'm taking it anyway. It will give me the added benefit of more time with the kids too. ;)
3. Read to the kids every night. I'm about to make a BIG confession. I HATE reading to my kids. I KNOW! It's terrible...and its really surprised me. I LOVE to read...you would think I would LOVE to read to the kids. But I don't. I don't mind it in short snippets, but I can't STAND reading the same books over and over. Shad's not much better...he doesn't like reading at all and the kids have to practically sit on him to get a book read to them. Thankfully, they're all old enough we can tackle some chapter books...actually, they've been old enough for awhile, and I STILL couldn't work up the energy to read to them. But I'm going to do it this year. I'M. GOING. TO. At this point none of my kids like to read...which is a big red, 'YOU'VE FAILED' flag. I'm hoping I can capture their attention every night for at least 15 minutes of some awesome story. I'm just going to need to make it the same book for all of them, all at the same time, because if I try to read four chapters out of four books each night I may go MAD! I've actually read a few before, I managed to stumble my way through Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Nick and Alek. And its taken me most of the year to get through Little House on the Prairie with the girls...but NO MORE! I'm going to do better this year. I'm going to read a book a month!
How's THAT for a resolution?!!!
4. Be a better housekeeper. I don't know what happened in the last couple of years, but my normally tidy house has become a trash pit. Okay, not quite a trash pit, but I CAN'T keep up - actually it may be more along the line of 'am not taking the time' to keep up. I know how to clean, I'm just not doing it as much as I need to. And its not like the kids aren't helping me. They're awesome helpers...its just that ever since bringing Maddie home, I just can't stay ahead of things. There's just something about adding child number four that REALLY throws you into a spin, you know? Anyway...a better housekeeper. Yep. That's going to be me.
5. And finally...I have a more personal one that I'm posting here. That's one I have high hopes for. I think making that change will make a big change in all areas of my life. Especially in regards to resolution 1, 2, 3 and 4! :)