Powered by Blogger.

luk out fur yukky spelen testz

Friday, May 28, 2010

I have yet ANOTHER nomination for WMEC Club, although this time Shad's name should be on the application form too. I wasn't the only bad parent here this week! :)
In the interest of full disclosure let's just say spelling tests are not Nick's strong suit...and for some reason Shad and I have a really hard time helping him. Finally this year we seem to have hit upon a technique that works and in the last few months the tests have gotten better...and better still, once he started the medication.
Until a few weeks ago.
THAT was baaaaaaad. In fact, it may have been the perfect storm. Nick had a horrible, no-good, very bad spelling test...and it wasn't even his fault. His dad and I somehow miscommunicated and no one helped him study for his test at all that week, even though he kept reminding us. So the poor boy missed 14 points on his spelling test!
When I picked him up on Friday from school he asked if he could talk to me. When we got home I walked with him into the living room, away from everyone else, pulled him onto my lap and asked him what was wrong.
Big, silent tears started rolling down his cheeks as he admitted his test score. He was so disappointed because he had been doing so well. I looked at his test and saw the neatest handwriting I have ever seen my little guy pen and quickly started complimenting on how hard he had tried.
"I can tell you tried your best, Nick," I tried to comfort. "Look at how nice and neat you wrote."
"Yeah, Mom, but I still missed the words."
As I sat and rocked my little man, I couldn't help remember how it had been just a few months before. Nick couldn't have cared less about how he did on those tests. He
That horrible spelling test solidified our plan. We let Nick finish the school year out on the medication. He likes the way the medicine helps him concentrate at school. He's proud of the good grades he's bringing home. His relationship with his teacher is better and he's even starting to show some interest in reading. His standardized test scores are improving...what's not to like about that.
So we decided to stay the course until the end of the school year. Last Friday was the last day of medication for Nick until Fall, and we're already seeing the return of the old Nick. The one who can't seem to remember to do something we told him two minutes ago...is constantly arguing with his youngest sister...and can't keep his room neat for anything
But the light is also back - the ornery streak. The tenacity. The curiosity. The boundless energy. The sly smile.
Welcome back, Nick!

4 salty messages:

Tina in CT May 28, 2010 at 10:54 AM  

Why do you stop the meds for the summer?

Jess May 28, 2010 at 12:03 PM  

Have you seen this website where the kids can plug in their spelling words?

http://www.spellingcity.com/

traci May 28, 2010 at 4:53 PM  

We call that the "donkey ears" award at our house. I win it so often, that it is a small comfort to see someone else wear it once in a while. So sorry for your guy.

Annie May 29, 2010 at 6:59 PM  

Hm....the fact that he CARED. I can hardly imagine it. Zhen certainly couldn't care any less about school. He is work-adverse, be it schoolwork, homework, or chores. I've never seen anything like it. He will always put more effort into avoiding work than he would dream of putting into the work itself.

I spent a few months this year REALLY TRYING. But, the "trying" on MY part, really yielded very little in the way of results - if you don't count a crazy mama. I'd remember the assignment; he'd forget the book. We'd have the book and assignment; he wouldn't have the paper. "Special paper! I can't DO it on this!" No amount of my arguing that OF COURSE she'd rather have it on our paper than not at all would help. My training and experience as a teacher stand for NOTHING. And then there were the times we labored and wept and totally ruined everyone's evening, and he'd either leave the homework home or the backpack in the car, or just leave the homework in the backpack.....for days, even - not handed in.

So, I gave up trying. We read. He reads; I read to him. That's about it. Even that is PAINFUL - at least his part. But he is the most loving, grateful, most spiritually-attuned person I've ever met.

It is a hard call....

Post a Comment

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP