Powered by Blogger.

rahbotah, finito, finished, done

Friday, July 30, 2010

That's it. I'm done. You are now officially reading the blog of a full-time, self-employed, stay-at-home-mom.
Can I get an AMEN?!
Wow! It feels good. I should have done this a long time ago. I have to admit, I was a little worried I would get cold feet - that at the last minute I would say I couldn't do it and beg for my old job back. But not only have my feet stayed unbelievably warm, I am feeling an incredible sense of peace about this whole thing...which is AMAZING!
I didn't even get teary today. Not once. And that's saying something - I get teary over tire commercials.
I did, however, stop for just a second and take a deep breath before pushing the door open as I left. But really? That was more for your benefit than anything. I needed something dramatic to write about.
The day went smoothly, relatively quietly...and thankfully quickly. Now I am free to write as I wish, when I wish and for whom I wish...and I am so thankful for the blessing.
I did have one incredibly neat moment this afternoon...that I'm taking as a God-thing.
Every year our mortgage company sends us a little escrow account statement. Its the thing that tells us how much is left in our escrow account to pay for things like taxes and homeowners insurance. Every year since we've bought this place its gone up.
Every. Year.
Significantly.
When we bought this place six years ago we were paying almost $300 less per month than we do now...and we have a fixed rate mortgage!
So needless to say we were a bit nervous about getting that statement this year. What with the cost of everything going up...taxes, insurance, the cost of band-aids, we were sure we would have another jump in our monthly house payment.
Guess what?
It not only didn't go UP...it went DOWN! Big time! Around $60 a month.
AND...
Wait for it......
They sent US a check for almost another $100 because we had overpaid last year.
So, to recap...Not only is our house payment not going UP by the amount we had already budgeted...it is going DOWN by nearly the same amount.
And we got the news on the day we took a step of faith and I left my job to come and stay home.
How cool is that?!
I thought so too. ;)

9 salty messages:

Diana July 30, 2010 at 10:43 PM  

Congratulations!

As for your escrow, your mortgage company doesn't have to keep an escrow account at all. If you have at least 20% equity in your house, you can ask them to let you do your own escrow. Your county assessor should send you a statement every year regarding your property taxes and you are responsible for your own insurance anyway. We just split the cost of those two things by 12 and save that much in our own savings account each month. When the tax and insurance bills come due, we just pay them ourselves. We like it much better that way. Just make sure you save enough and don't spend it on anything else.

Speaking of mortgages, are you aware that rates are currently below 4.5%? If your rate isn't that low, you may seriously want to consider refinancing. It can save you a TON of money in the long run.

jessy July 30, 2010 at 10:51 PM  

Tami, I'm so happy for you and your family!

Tina in CT July 30, 2010 at 11:35 PM  

I bet you danced a jig out that front door of the paper!!!! Whahoo, a great feeling. Just think how great it'll feel Sunday in the late afternoon when you don't get those hate the weekend to end feelings knowing that the work week starts the next morning.

Good luck with your writing and new business.

Susan A July 31, 2010 at 4:47 AM  

yes, that is cool! :) thank you for making me smile :) He is so good!

Kevin and Pam July 31, 2010 at 9:14 AM  

Similar things happened to us when we made the decision for me to stay home. My husband got an unexpected promotion and raise! I believe God will bless you and your family for your decision. Congratulations!

lookingforgeorge August 1, 2010 at 8:06 PM  

Amen!!!! And I get teary over cotton commercials, so I totally understand. Awesome about the escrow thing!

Tina in CT August 3, 2010 at 12:14 PM  

How is it feeling? I bet you are so happy.

Troy and Rachel August 3, 2010 at 1:05 PM  

Fantastic!! I love getting escrow checks back! Doesn't happen often, but it's good when it does!

Keep us posted on your new status!

Post a Comment

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP