Powered by Blogger.

three out of five ain't bad

Thursday, July 15, 2010

We were so blessed. The kids didn't have eyesight issues, I didn't have eyesight issues. Shad was the only one in the family who needed glasses.
Weren't we so lucky? 
Not anymore.
On Tuesday we took the kids to the optometrist. Oh, not because they needed glasses, oh no! We just took them out of an abundance of caution! Since I'm leaving my job, we will also be losing health insurance, why not take advantage of the insurance and get everyone checked one last time.
Oh. My. Word!!
Of the five appointments, three of us walked out of there with glasses.
And we may need a fourth! Good grief!!!!! We had absolutely NO idea that the kids needed glasses. None whatsoever. Thankfully the insurance will cover a good portion of it...and the kids were all able to find some specs that they liked. 
Anya, Nick and I will all be sporting new rims by this time next week. Anya and I, thankfully, don't have to wear them full-time. She just needs hers for school...and I only need mine for driving. Nick, however, will be sporting them for every waking hour. 
Good thing he looks absolutely ADORABLE in his glasses. I can't wait to show you pictures, seriously...he looks like one of those redhead little boy eyeglass models! Who knows? He may have a new career in front of him. ;) 
The fourth victim may be Maddie. They're not sure yet if she really needs them...it was hard to tell with the testing. I was impressed at how well she did with the tests. They insisted on doing the letter versions of the test since she had been through kindergarten...but she had a hard time understanding what they wanted of her. Above, below, smaller, bigger, wiggly, flashing...all of those concepts are still hard for her. Even so, she stuck with it, didn't get frustrated (which really isn't in her nature anyway), didn't get too distracted and loved playing their 'game.'
The doctor wants to retest her next week when we pick up everyone else's specs. I SERIOUSLY hope she doesn't need glasses. Think about it...if she has to get glasses, they'll have to have a band to hold them on her head...the sports kind. She already has to deal with the hearing aid having to be held on her head with a band...now a pair of glasses! There HAS to be a better way! 
I need to start doing some research just in case.

7 salty messages:

SLColman July 16, 2010 at 6:45 AM  

Ack that is a lot of glasses!!! Good plan on getting everyone checked before you gave up your insurance!

Tina in CT July 16, 2010 at 7:26 AM  

You must have great insurance. Even with my insurance, new glasses were almost $500 last Dec. If you have AAA, they also have a discount at Lenscrafters.

Hope Maddie doesn't need glasses.

Tami July 16, 2010 at 7:29 AM  

We do (did) have great insurance. For all three pairs it was less than $300. We will definitely miss it.

Annie July 16, 2010 at 1:38 PM  

I'm skeptical enough that I might have a second opinion done.... Had some really bad work from an eye doctor once, that had me struggling with headaches for a year until the next guy I went with cried out in frustration and amazement, "WHO IN THE NAME OF HEAVEN PRESCRIBED THESE???!!!"

And, don't let them con you into the $500 frames, either! Unless your insurance is that good. Sergei went through two pair in about as many months until I burst into tears and the lady in the little eyeglass area sheepishly opened the DRAWER where she kept a nice assortment of NORMALLY PRICED frames. I was so relieved then that I didn't stop to be angry until later. Why would some fourth grade boy need the most expensive designer frames??? I couldn't even tell the difference between the $400 ones and the $50 ones when it came down to it.

Tami July 16, 2010 at 8:00 PM  

I'm skeptical enough to think the same thing Annie, except that Shad has been going to this doctor for years and feels pretty confident that she isn't giving us the run-around. With Maddie, her main concern is that the insurance will run out and then we won't have any assistance in buying even the cheapest of frames.
Thankfully, our insurance is VERY good, so I didn't have to pay that much for the glasses. (And we most certainly didn't go with designer glasses! :)

Tina in CT July 17, 2010 at 6:55 AM  

I go to Lenscrafters and use AAA insurance as it's better than my Aetna coverage. I do have designer frames but they were the ones I liked on me and in the same price range.

Conethia and Jim Bob July 19, 2010 at 9:28 AM  

We are 3 out of 4 in the glasses division. All blind as a bat. You may want to check in at your local Walmart Vision store. They offer glasses for a little of nothing that comes with a full replacement warranty for a year, which will deffinately come in handy with the little ones.

Post a Comment

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP