Powered by Blogger.

duuuuuuuuuude!

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I'm pretty sure those were the first words out of Alek's mouth this afternoon when he caught a glimpse of me pushing a shopping cart out of CVS.
Yes...you heard me right. Shopping. Cart.
I've turned into one of 'those people.' A couponer...a die-hard couponer.
It all started out so innocently. I figured since I was going to be staying at home, I needed to find a way to save some serious cash. And one of the biggest money-pits in our monthly budget is food. So I signed us up for a newspaper subscription...and immediately started clipping coupons.
I've been hooked ever since.
I'm printing coupons off the internet and snagging a second and third copy of the paper from the vending bin (after paying for them of course...I'm not THAT cheap!) I even have a blue Tr@pper Keeper with baseball card sleeves to hold all of my loot coupons.
Of course Alek really wasn't surprised at the sheer volume of stuff that I was buying. When you have a family of six shopping trips are more like expeditions...but what truly got him was my receipt.
Are you ready for this?!!!!!
I walked out of that store with $86 dollars worth of merchandise...and I only spent $9!
Pretty good, huh? Yep. I thought so too. Of course it was all shampoo, toilet paper, makeup and toothpaste, but hey! It's a start...and it frees up more money for the grocery store. Now I just have to figure out how to buy $400 worth of groceries for $50! :)

8 salty messages:

SLColman October 13, 2010 at 9:27 PM  

I need to get back into coupon clipping and using :) I guess that means I need to get a new printer then since the last one is officially DEAD. Besides we both know that coupons in the Sunday paper are basically non-existent in Wyoming!

lookingforgeorge October 14, 2010 at 8:08 AM  

I used to clip coupons, but $9.00???? Holy moly, Batman! I was never that good at it. I've pretty much stopped with the coupons because: a. since we moved (the first time) we haven't gotten a paper subscription; and b. the generics seemed to be cheap enough. But I think you are inspiring me to try the coupon thing again. I mean, 80 some $ worth of merch for $9.00?!?!?!? You are my new hero!

Lori October 14, 2010 at 9:10 AM  

HOW did you do that?!

Courtney October 14, 2010 at 9:58 AM  

Yep yep yep! Mark thinks I'm a genius in the grocery store. :) :) We have a $400/mo food budget for the six of us (includes groceries and eating out) and I think I can get it lower once I'm home. There's just not enough time for me to do all of the deals while I'm working full-time. :( But I work with what I can now! :)

Annie October 14, 2010 at 11:20 AM  

I sure wish I knew how you all did that. Every time I try to use coupons, it seems all I do is buy stuff I wouldn't otherwise have bought. I am sure I am doing something wrong.

mrsbroccoliguy October 25, 2010 at 7:51 PM  

WOW. That is some awesome coupon clipping!! I suppose you already know about http://moneysavingmom.com/ ? I just discovered it tonight... and promptly downloaded my free book and then bought a $20 trenchcoat (down from $50) from target that I didn't really *need* but couldn't resist at that price. (ahem, apparently I haven't really caught on to the "money saving" part very well yet.)

Wishcrafter November 22, 2010 at 10:32 PM  

You should try Angel Food Ministries. In St. Joe, the Baptist church at Belt and Pickett does the Angel Food program. For $30, you get a LOT of food. Check out their web site. I think it's Angel Food Ministries dot com. Bruce and I take advantage of it all the time - no income requirements. Just a really good grocery help. Miss you - let's get together soon! kg

Post a Comment

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP