Powered by Blogger.

the phone call and puppy management 101

Monday, February 7, 2011

At 8:15 this morning I got a phone call.
"Tami...this is Mrs. B," the hurried voice on the other end whispers. "Ummm...Maddie is really loud and rowdy this morning. Did she get her medicine?"
Ugh. I forgot. Again.
I am ALWAYS forgetting to give her and Nick their medicine. It happens at least once every couple of weeks. I don't know what it is about the routine that I haven't quite mastered...but I don't have it down. And I've tried everything. The thing is, truthfully, I'm not great at remembering to take medicine myself. Even if I'm at death's door, I forget. It's as simple as that. I've told Shad I don't know how many times that when we're older and I start having to take medicine on a regular basis - I'll be dead in six months.
It's just the way I'm wired.
 ((CLICK ON TITLE FOR MORE))
So, I'm open to any ideas you may have. I've tried writing it down on a sticky note and putting it somewhere I'll find it the next day - but I forget to write the note in the first place.
I've tried making it the same time every morning - usually while they're eating breakfast, but most of the time they're not at the breakfast table together and I am usually trying to squeeze in a shower while they're getting ready.
I've tried sticking the medicine on the kitchen table, hoping it will jog one of our memories'. Nope.
So...what other ideas do you have out there?
Usually, Maddie will remind me herself. I think she likes the way the medicine makes her feel - more in control, less likely to get in trouble.
Tucker, the ornery
And I think I usually take my cues from the way she's behaving, but this morning evidentally I was complete clueless to the neon sign above her head.
Thankfully, they'll give her the dose at school today. Nick will probably go without until lunch. He just doesn't need it as much as she does. In fact, I'm going to spend some time this summer experimenting with diet changes to see if I can find another way to manage his ADD. He really is quite manageable at home...he just needs something to help him focus at school. If I can find that something that will help him this summer, we may see if we can get him off the meds altogether.
Now if they would just come up with some ADHD medication for puppies. Last summer we brought home an adorable pup named Tucker. He is a sweetheart, really he is...but he is also an absolute bundle of energy, which is driving this old lady and our other dog, Roscoe, nuts. 
During the day, while I am trying to work, I keep him on the back porch where he won't bother us..and where, if he happens to have an accident it is a lot easier to clean up.
Today I decided that since he's doing pretty well with the potty training, it really is time that he learn to live with the rest of us. So this morning I let him loose.
He's been out an hour...he hasn't stopped running. Seriously.
I'm about ready to call his 'vet' to see if there's something I can slip in his water bowl to get him to settle down.
I tried getting a picture of Tuck, but as you can see, he wouldn't settle down long enough for me to get a shot in.
I have a feeling this is going to be a long day.

9 salty messages:

Colette February 7, 2011 at 9:15 AM  

Have you thought about setting an alarm to go off at the same time each morning? When it goes off everyone will know that it's time for Maddie and Nick to take their medicine.

Lori February 7, 2011 at 9:28 AM  

I have a recurring task with alarm setting on my cell phone- maybe that will work ?

Sarah February 7, 2011 at 10:17 AM  

What about a pill box on the counter with it already in there for each day. You may be able to put her in charge of remembering it if it's there for her to see and take it. Or you can at least have the visual reminder out there for you if you do not feel comfortable having her have access to it. All our kids take vitamins this way each evening. I fill them once a week and they have a designated time before bed they are supposed to take them.

MoonDog February 7, 2011 at 11:56 AM  

I was always bad too until I had other kids who have medications that are lifesaving and MUSTNT be missed. I had to force myself to learn and its been useful for my ADHD kid too. I have all meds for the week in a medbox that has all the days and am/pm. each kid has their own color(and I used a perm marker to write their name on back too, but now I can tell whose is whose just by looking at the pills in it)I keep the pill boxes in the cabinet where I keep plates and bowls. every morning they eat, every evening they eat. so we have to get bowls and or plates and there are the meds staring us in the face. now it has gotten to be such routine that we rarely forget. Hope you can find something that works for you. a string around your finger? lol

Lesa February 7, 2011 at 12:06 PM  

Outlook Calendar that sync's with my phone. It's a valueable tool. Here's for great teachers partnering with the parents...kudos to Ms. School Teacher!

Winnie February 7, 2011 at 2:33 PM  

I put the bottle in the cabinet by the coffee. I generally have to move the bottle in order to get to the coffee supplies.

Annie February 7, 2011 at 5:58 PM  

Hm... I expect the teachers would say that it's because you don't have to live with the consequences!

Just joking. I'm not good at taking medicine regularly either UNLESS I DO have to live with the consequences (I manage to get my sinus medicine when I've got a headache coming on!)

Maybe they could collect a small portion of their allowance each morning they remember to remind you.

Tina in CT February 7, 2011 at 8:44 PM  

7 day pill boxes (different colors) for each child and placed next to your car keys (if you drive them each AM) or the coffee maker (if you make a pot as soon as you enter the kitchen).

Your puppy is adorable. He is bored so that's why he is acting up. He needs lots of exercise to tire him out and maybe once a week doggie daycare.

Julie February 7, 2011 at 10:00 PM  

Rescue Remedy, a herbal liquid or pill. Used it for our dogs seemed to work, not a 100% cure all, but still calmed and mellowed them

Post a Comment

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP