Powered by Blogger.

howdy partner!

Sunday, September 25, 2011


Welcome to Grab Your Lasso! Population - 30,000...more or less. We actually pulled into town more than two months ago, but as you can imagine, life has been nuts. Unloading the truck, getting settled, the kids starting school...there was so much to tell.

Unfortunately, the move also took its toll on our electronic equipment. Not even a week after we unpacked and starting  getting settled, my trusty little laptop died a terrible death.

Perhaps its the higher elevation, cooler, drier weather or divine intervention. Whatever it was, I blew through two computers in two months...first the laptop and a-brand-spanking-new-replacement a fancy desktop.

MORE -->
Both were dead. Completely. Which left me arguing with Dell to send me a replacement. It took us two weeks, two repairmen sent by Dell and a lot of arguing to convince them. Then Hurricane Irene delayed delivery even more. By the time the new computer arrived, I was starting to wonder if God really was trying to tell me something. ;)

In the meantime, I was running CrossRiver Media off of Shad's little notebook. Notebooks are cute and all, but they're not very practical for typing up billing statements or updating client blogs. More often than not my sentences end up looking like, 'thsi andd thn I habve to go bsck and retyep teverything."

So you can see why I haven't blogged much lately. Anyway...

Since the move there have been big changes in our household. Besides the obvious location change, Alek started school at a massive junior high...which at first caused me a serious amount of angst and reconsideration of the whole 'homeschooling' decision. In fact, all the the kids school experiences have been a mixed bag so far. There has been more than one time I've wished (and secretly prayed) that Shad would change his mind and let me bring the kids home.

But over time, I've come to grips with the situation and am starting to seem some good things come out of it. Alek's faith is growing and becoming his own...Anya is learning that she really does have the ability to do her math - even if it doesn't seem like it...Nick is playing football with some big kids on the playground and holding his own. He's also gaining the confidence to ask them about their faith...which is awesome to see!

Maddie...aahhh...Maddie. Maddie is doing well. I am glad she is getting all of the new services...but there is something about her new teacher that I'm not quite clicking with. I have NO idea what it is. She seems to like Maddie well enough, but her room isn't welcoming...she doesn't seem to be overly creative...and then there's the horrible-no-good-very-bad-dreaded-family-assignment. We've already had one talk about it. I don't think she gets it...although she says she does. We shall see.

In the meantime, Maddie started basketball practice last week. Yes...I'm that kind of mom. Both girls are enrolled in basketball...and loving it. In fact, Maddie tears up when she finds out it is not her day to have basketball practice. I'm not sure what she loves more...basketball or school. It's a toss-up.

She would gladly wear her hair in a ponytail and don her warmup pants and basketball jersey to school every day if allowed - it may just be her version of utopia. She's turning into a bit of a tom-boy...although when Shad accuses her of that, she says, 'No. I a tom-GIRL...and a cow-GIRL.'

She is absolutely fascinated with horses and convinced we need to get her one. I don't know where she thinks we'll put it, and is NOT satisfied with just visiting the horses at Daddy's work. I am convinced she's going to start wearing wranglers and boots soon and will probably eventually marry a cowboy on horseback. At least she's living in the right place.

Me? Well, I'm doing pretty well. I'm feeling a bit like a chauffer right now. Between carting the kids back and forth to school, sporting events and church activities, I'm working on getting the business back up and on its feet. The lack of serious computer time took its toll.

I'm also working on a relatively new project, which is the actual reason for this post. Last spring I told you about a speaking gig I had at a local women's conference. At the time, I had hoped to start building it into a regular ministry. I even went out and bought a URL for this blog, hoping to turn it into my ministry's page.
But then we moved...and life happened...and I soon realized that Sunflower Seeds really didn't fit me. It fit our family fine, when we lived in Kansas...but the ministry is more about the women I serve, than it is about our family life.

So I have started a new blog...one that I hope you'll read and follow.

crossriverministries.blogspot.com
facebook.com/crossriverministries
twitter.com/crossrivermin

CrossRiver will be a bit of a hybrid - all of the elements from this blog, along with the ministry stuff. While I hate saying goodbye to Sunflower Seeds...I think it's time to move on.

I hope you'll move with me. ;)

Blessings,

3 salty messages:

MamaPoRuski September 27, 2011 at 10:31 PM  

Welcome home! I will keep up on FB, as long as FB doesn't keep giving me headaches with the changes! :)I'm actually going back to blogs as our FB friends don't ever post the real life stuff, just "status updates".
So glad everyone is settling in. HUGS to all!

SLColman September 29, 2011 at 10:48 PM  

I know that the jr and sr high school there seems so big and overwhelming! However, I also know some really fantastic kids with just massive faiths that have come through there! Keep the faith :)

Annie October 1, 2011 at 3:06 PM  

Well, you pooh! Just when I was getting excited about your coming back to "family blogdom".

Interesting.... I "do" religion as a job, and I love to share faith in person, but I am just not called to doing so via blog....apart from the obvious references to God as He works in our lives!

Why won't your husband let you homeschool? I feel it was the BEST thing I ever did for Aidan and Lydia. It saved them from being twisted about by the middle school craziness, and we became so very close. I cherish those memories like no others.

I know what you mean about not "clicking" with a teacher....and for those reasons. When we first moved here I took Aidan to visit a childcare provider - it was just what I wanted, a home rather than a business, a nice mom, close, etc. But something just said: NO. I couldn't leave him there. It was only years later that I realized it was because there was absolutely no shred of aesthetic beauty in that place. Nothing arranged in an attractive way, no color - at the time I just felt ridiculous. Everything lined up but I hated the place.

Post a Comment

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP