Powered by Blogger.

40 days and counting

Saturday, November 26, 2011

I've never been good at waiting. During every adoption process I complained about waiting. We waited for homestudies, federal government approvals, tax refunds, apostilles, dossier translations, doctor's appointments, SDA meetings, late trains, even later taxis...

Ellie's adoption was no different, but I've recently discovered it was nothing compared to waiting for 2012 to arrive. I've been waiting for it FOR. EVER.

Finally, in a few weeks, the waiting will be over. As the last sounds of Auld Lang Syne fade away, I will honestly be able to say I've been Ellie's mom most of her life. On Jan. 5, 2012, she will have been a part of our family longer than she was not.

WOOOHOOO! I can't wait.

MORE -->

Honestly, Ellie's transition into our family was so smooth it's a little embarrassing  Don't get me wrong...we had our moments, but while other families struggled with honeymoon periods, deep mourning and irrational behavior, we found it only took a couple of weeks for it to feel like Ellie had always been a part of our family. THAT's how smoothly she fit in. There was a God-crafted-Ellie-sized hole in our family...and she filled the gap perfectly from day one.

So it came as a bit of a surprise to me a few months ago when I realized just how much I was looking forward to Ellie's half-way mark. I'm not exactly why I have put so much stock in that one day. We didn't make a big deal out of it for the first three kids. In fact I don't know that we even marked the day. They were so young when they came home that a little over a year after coming home, they'd reach the milestone. We'd say, 'Hey, that's cool,' and then move on.

But for Ellie it has taken four long years...and I guess I'm looking at it as a turning point of sorts. I know it's not realistic, but it seems as though from that moment on the spectre of the orphanage should begin to fade away. Ellie was older when she came home. She had more baggage...orphanage-related baggage. And for me, it feels like Jan. 5th marks the day when we may be able finally banish the invisible hold the orphanage has on my little girl's heart...and maybe to an extent, mine too.

Over the next six weeks, I'll share more about Ellie's adoption and the progress she's made. And what an amazing story she has to tell!

To get us started, we'll take a look at where Shad and I were four years ago today. We were getting ready to leave our three older kids behind to go look for our little girl - the one we felt God had called us to find. Little did we know the amazing journey God had in store for us... This, That and the Other Thing

Blessings,




*Want to keep up to date with my ministry? Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. That way you can keep up with what the fam and I are up to...cute pictures, captivating blogs, pithy twitter feeds...you, my friend, can have it all. ;)

1 salty messages:

kate December 13, 2011 at 9:47 PM  

It's a huge milestone! My pixie will be close to 14 when we reach it. I plan to CELEBRATE!

Post a Comment

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP