Powered by Blogger.

a shot in the dark

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Crisis averted! I finally figured out what happened to Ellie's shot record.

First a little bit of history...

When we moved to Wyoming, the school district didn't get her shot record. It simply wasn't there. I transferred all of her medical records to her new doctor and they couldn't find it either.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out what happened to it. All of our kids have always been up-to-date on their shots. Ellie was no different. I had made sure the doctor's office all of the necessary information about her background and all the medical stuff we had brought back with us from Ukraine. We had even run titers - which we had NEVER done with the other three kids...and the doctor was convinced we were all caught up.

Years went by and then we moved.

MORE -->
For MONTHS the old doctor's office, new doctor's office and I have been faxing information back and forth, trying to find her records. We couldn't figure out what happened to it. The old doctor is a shot-nazi. She recommended shots nobody in their right mind would WANT to take...let alone a kid. There is NO WAY she would have let us slide on this kid's shots.

All I needed was a statement from the doctor's office saying she was up-to-date but they wouldn't do that without the records.

Finally the district got sick of the run around. The school nurse called yesterday.

"If we don't get it taken care of soon, you'll have to keep Ellie home," she said. "She can't be at school without her shots. Are you sure she doesn't have anything in her adoption records."

Aha! That's where it was! I grabbed Ellie's adoption file and started sifting through it. Sure enough, there it was in black and white...a complete shot record. After further review the doctor's office is now convinced all she needs is one tetnus shot...which we can easily get in the next week.

I have to admit...I had nightmares of having to submit Ellie to the full series of shots. It was either that or lie and say we weren't getting shots because of religious reasons. And unfortunately for my daughter, I have this thing about lying. ;)

I've tried to teach the kids that lying is NEVER good. That we need to tell the truth even when it's hurts.

I am SO glad I didn't have to lead by example.




*Want to keep up to date with my ministry? Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. That way you can keep up with what the fam and I are up to...cute pictures, captivating blogs, pithy twitter feeds...you, my friend, can have it all. ;)

0 salty messages:

Post a Comment

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP