Powered by Blogger.

news from 9000 feet

Friday, January 13, 2012

It's warm and dry here...well, relatively warm and dry. Like the rest of the country, we're enjoying a mild winter.
Of course by 'everybody' I really mean, 'everybody but the people of Alaska.' Have you SEEN how much snow they've gotten? I'm thinking Shad was pretty smart not to follow up on the job he checked into there. A Grab-Your-Lasso winter may be about as much as I can handle. I mean, it could be the end of summer 2013 before all that snow melts!
But you're not here to hear me talk about the weather! I imagine you'd like an update. Be careful what you wish for! I have a lot of pent-up posts...ones that I've started in my head and maybe even hinted about on Facebook, but haven't actually done anything with. I'm liable to keep you here for hours getting caught up...consider yourself warned! ;)

MORE -->
Alek has finally started basketball season, which means Blue Mama is doing a lot of running around. Not only does he have practice every evening, we have a lot of traveling to do.
And by a lot...I mean A LOT.
We have a two-and-a-half hour drive in one direction for a game tomorrow. See? I told you I should have been a taxi driver. Thankfully, Shad can go with us...which means maybe the kids and I can get some shut eye on this trip, because we are, after all, leaving at oh-dark-thirty for this trip. The game starts at 9 a.m. Whoever scheduled a 9 a.m. game, more than two hours away from home, on a Saturday morning, needs to be taken out and strung up by their high top tennis shoes.
In other school-related-news...
Can I just say...I hate fourth grade math? You can add fifth grade to that list as well. Actually, it's not so much doing the math as much as it is TEACHING the math...because, despite what my college degree says and my job description with CrossRiver reads, I really am a 4th and 5th grade teacher. And I don't want to be.
Well, that's not entirely true. I wouldn't mind homeschooling my kids. That way I could decide how my kids learn to divide, instead of having reteach my kids the nonsense they're learning at school. Call me ancient, but 'in my day' we learned how multiplication facts and just DID the math, instead of finding six different ways to Sunday to try to figure out the answer.
Oh, don't even get me started.
Speaking of getting started. I got an early start to my family reunion dinner last weekend. The family and I headed out to our first family reunion dinner last weekend. Some of you may remember the last time we were there and the reality check we got on Maddie's bonding. Thankfully, we didn't have a repeat performance.
Speaking of the Madster...on January 10th, we celebrated the 4th anniversary of her adoption court date. Actually, celebrate is a strong word. We mentioned it...and told her how much we love her, but we'll save the actual celebrating until the 26th, which we consider her 'Gotcha Day,' or maybe Feb 2nd which is her actual 'Family Day.' Of course that's quickly approaching and I haven't given much thought on how we'll celebrate it this year.
I need to get to work on that.
Maddie also passed a big milestone on Jan. 5th...and while I meant to post this big, hug, monstrous post to help us celebrate, I just didn't get it done. Sigh. That seems to be my lot in life lately. Maddie has now officially been with us longer than she was in the orphanage...and that feels GOOD! :) We've seen a lot of progress in Maddie over the last four years. A. LOT. But there are still some things we need to work on. Shad and I had a MAJOR wakeup call over the Christmas break, that I still need to fill you in on. It was scary...and sad...and I hope I don't ever have to see it happen again. Sigh.
Enough complaining for now. Let's talk about mundane stuff.
I just spent the better part of the last 45 minutes grating bar soap for homemade laundry detergent. That's what I get for watching my pennies. It took all of five seconds for me to remember why I haven't made homemade laundry detergent in months.
Which is why after this batch is gone, it will take as long as my short-term memory lasts before I try it again.
Excuse me while I go hack up a lung. ;)

4 salty messages:

Courtney January 29, 2012 at 4:37 PM  

So glad to see the update, and looking forward to more. I certainly won't be judgmental if you don't post--have you seen my lack of blog posts lately?? LOL But good to know you guys are still hanging in there. :)

jessy January 29, 2012 at 4:44 PM  

OK. I'm confused. Are you going to be posting over here now? I think I have the wrong blog in my bloglist. Was wondering why we weren't getting family news and updates.
I know exactly what you mean about math facts. Something has gone really screwy in our schools. I you can bet your tootsies that the Chinese are still teaching wrote memorization of times tables, plus a whole lot more. But, two weeks home with my kids at Christmas was a real eye opener to why I continue to endorse public education, so what are we to do?

Tamara January 29, 2012 at 4:58 PM  

Jessie...I just didn't feel the love at the new blog site. I think I lost quite a few readers, who didn't catch the switch. I also just didn't feel comfortable putting all the kids' news on a blog that was supposed to be about my ministry. I'm also not pushing the ministry so much right now...working harder on the publishing company, so I decided to move back to Sunflower Seeds. Confused yet?! :)

Tamara January 29, 2012 at 5:00 PM  

And I have no idea about what to do with school For now, the decision is out of my hands. Shad is NOT on board with homeschooling...and while event after event keeps happening and I see him slowly moving toward seeing it as a possibility...it's not in the cards for now at least. So I supplement. What else can I do?

Post a Comment

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP