Powered by Blogger.

time's up

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I sent my husband out the door on a job interview this morning.
I would like to say I got up extra early, fixed him a big breakfast and kissed him as he walked out the door, but it was more like I mumbled 'good luck' before I rolled over and went back to sleep.
Cut me some slack. It was 4 a.m.
Shad is on his way to a town about 4 hours from here for a job interview this morning. This is the one I mentioned... the one he interviewed at about seven years ago. At the time they offered him the job, but we just couldn't make it work financially.
We're willing to take a second look now. ;)
But that's not all...
He has another interview on Friday. This one is back in the Sunflower State, although nowhere near our old home. (What is it that keeps drawing us back there?!)
Other than those two jobs, there is nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. on the job horizon. We haven't seen a job posting that Shad would be remotely qualified for in a couple of weeks...which is making me a bit nervous.
Why nervous, you ask? You have until the end of March, maybe even longer?
Hold on, my friends. Get this...
Last week, Shad's boss mentioned that after paying bills she doesn't have enough money to meet the next payroll. She's not sure where the money will come from.
And here we thought we would have until the end of March!
It now looks like our time here is running VERY short...maybe as short as a couple of weeks. Without Shad's job it will be impossible for us to stay here. The cost of living is just too high. We are looking at all kinds of options, including moving back to our hometown in Colorado. Our parents are checking into rental options for us. The good thing is that we would be surrounded by family. The bad thing is that the cost of working somewhere would go up significantly. Living in Home-On-The-Range (or maybe I should call it Centennial, even though there is another Colorado town named Centennial. It reminds me of James Michner's book) requires a LONG commute.
Shad is starting to consider adding a few new states to our search...but doing that would be VERY expensive (licensing and testing), so we're holding out for a little while longer on sending resumes out to new states. Unfortunately, we may not be able to hold out much longer.
The time crunch also meant it was time to talk to the kids, so this weekend we broke the news. It went about as we expected. On the surface, they all seem fine with it...a little disappointed, but understanding. But we're already seeing signs of old issues popping back up.
Alek is back to acting VERY insecure. He's not quite sure if we'll pick him up from school and is feeling compelled to text us several times for reassurance (thank goodness for cell phones. ;) Anya and Nick seem to be doing alright so far, but Maddie is back to hoarding food and her bossy/manipulative/sneaky mean orphanage behavior.
Thankfully, nothing like it was four years ago...or even last summer.
It could be SO much worse, right?
That's something to be thankful for.

3 salty messages:

Tina in CT February 15, 2012 at 4:41 PM  

How did the vet practice tank out so quickly? All of a sudden, do most of the clients ditch?

I hope something comes your way SOON!

Tina in CT February 15, 2012 at 7:06 PM  

I keep meaning to tell you that I like your new blog setup.

Oh, I hope the sun shines over your heads as that cloud is not good.

kate February 16, 2012 at 6:27 AM  

Two possibilities is a GOOD thing!

I know how exhausting job searching it. That's the scariest thing about freelancing. I remember those acting years. I loved them. I always had enough. But, it was exhausting to always be looking for the next job. And with a little...much less four littles...

Is CO's cost of living less than GYL? Wow.

Hoping one of the two pans out. Soon.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP