Sunday, March 11, 2012
My friends, we have witnessed a miracle!
God heard our prayers...and answered...in spades!
When I last updated you, Shad had just been laid off. There was no real warning. She just waited until the end of business on a Friday, handed him a check and sent him on his way.
The day before, Shad had received a job offer from a community college back in Kansas for a job as an instructor. But he was hesitant to take it, because it meant leaving the veterinary field and taking a HUGE cut in pay.
The Monday after his dismissal, he called the college back and asked them several questions, none of which they had the answer for. The most serious of which, how much would his summer pay be? We couldn't just move our family that far and not have something to carry us through three months!
Over the next week and a half we waited, continued the job search, and prayed...but NOTHING happened. Seriously. Nothing. They didn't call...no one returned calls on his resume...nothing. Nada. Zilch. To say we were discouraged is an understatement. We both went through some serious soul-searching. Were we really supposed to go back to Kansas, regardless of whether they answered our questions? Why was God being so quiet?
Then Wednesday evening the college finally called back. They not only answered his many questions, they increased his salary (to just short of what we were making here) and are allowing him to do consulting and relief work.
But that is not all! Shad decided to sleep on it...really kind of waiting to see if anything came through on the veterinary job he had interviewed for. After all... he is still a vet at heart.
Instead of hearing from the job, Friday morning he got a call from the state vet in Kansas. Shad had put in a call earlier that week, wanting some answers to some questions about some medical stuff I'm clueless about. Anyway... Shad finished up the conversation with a random question about a veterinary student loan repayment program. It was something he had heard about happening in Colorado and Wyoming. He wanted to see if there were any open positions in Kansas.
'Sure,' the guy said. 'We just finished updating that information. Let me give you the locations.' He read down the list... and one of them was for the community college!!!
NOT. ONLY. THAT!!! It is for the EXACT position Shad had been offered!!!! So he is the ONLY one who can apply for and receive that grant.
This grant is MASSIVE...at least to us. It will pay $25K a year, every year Shad works for the college until his student loans are paid off. I don't think I have to tell you how huge of a student loan a doctor can have! This has been something that has hung over our heads for YEARS! In fact, just the night before he received this news, we had been talking about how I would HAVE to go back to work, just to pay for his student loan. It was a given...we had no other option. But God just gave us one.
NOT. ONLY. THAT!!!! The state veterinarian also told Shad that the area vet, based in another town, is retiring...and they want to move the position to the college town. He thinks Shad could do that on top of his teaching duties...so there would be some extra benefits and pay that comes along with it.
I CAN NOT tell you what a HUGE thing this is for us. When Shad told me, I screamed...and then I cried - a BIG. UGLY. cry. God is SO good. He is SO faithful.
So...we're moving. Again. Hopefully this time for good, but honestly, we have learned our lesson to NEVER say never where God is concerned.
Our God's job is still not done. We STILL have a lot of loose ends to tie up. We need to find someone to take over our lease here before we can get out of it. AND we need to find something reasonable to rent there. A large dairy has moved into the area and is snatching up all available housing for their employees. There is NOTHING for rent right now...nothing. But again...with God ALL things are possible.
Could you pray that something opens up...and if it is in God's will, that the housing be in the TINY town nearby. The school district there, is the same size as the one Shad and I grew up in - less than 100 kids in the entire school - K-12! We believe after all the chaos of the last year, the small, intimate setting is just what our kids need.
We also need to give Colby a start date...something we have NO idea about right now. We really don't want to send him off to Colby by himself. We've been there, done that. It's no fun. So prayers for wisdom would be helpful too.
But honestly? I'm not so worried any more.